Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Did you ever wonder if the Anthony dollar could have been made more ugly? Wonder no more....

RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 23, 2017 3:10PM in U.S. Coin Forum

The following (awful) sketches and letter describe a serious proposal to change the reverse of the Anthony dollar from the drugged eagle landing on an asteroid, to one of these two wonderfully creative designs: the letters USA or the numeral 1.

Sorry for the poor sketch quality - that's all I found in the archives.

In a follow-up letter, Engraver Gasparo was asked to eliminate the olive branch as being too complicated. More kudos (or is that kudzus ?) to Director Stella Hackel-Sims and her bursting originality.

Comments

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

If either of those changes had become official, the obverse would have looked better than the reverse.

Who could have believed that? The "USA" design was particularly appealing. :s

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 23, 2017 3:39PM

Ugly? One of my Favorite modern designs.

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

The one on the right looks like a dime.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

The both have a resemblance to the half dime designs of John Sinnock made in 1942. Gilroy Roberts was Sinnock's assistant and Gasparro was assistant to Roberts. (Roberts did almost all the Franklin half work.)

• Options
    AmazonXAmazonX Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

drugged eagle landing on an asteroid

:o Asteroid? I always thought it was the moon. This makes the eagle much more bad ass! USA! USA!

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    In a follow-up letter, Engraver Gasparo was asked to eliminate the olive branch as being too complicated.

Too complicated? Seriously???

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2017 10:09AM

@AmazonX said:

:o Asteroid? I always thought it was the moon. This makes the eagle much more bad ass! USA! USA!

Was being sarcastic. If one looks at any photo of the moon from the late 1960s the features are sharp and crisply defined. The Ike/Anthony reverse is blurred, mushy and a nondescript mess. Rather than a bold, confident eagle, the coins have a fuzzy, drugged-looking bird unsure of its target.

All the archival letters indicate that Hackel was entirely supportive of this mess. Gasparro certainly did nothing to improve the situation, and the workmanship is similarly weak on the earlier Liberty version. (Just opinions and worth every cent...)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a coin I simply cannot enjoy..... I do have some, somewhere....although, I have since thought that the SBA, as an ugly dollar coin, set the bar for new dollar coins - and not in a good way. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 24, 2017 6:04AM

The reverse is fine, although a rehash from the Ike Dollar reverse...the obverse is the bad part.

Whenver someone chants USA USA USA! I think of two things; the 1980 USA Olympic Hockey Team, and Hacksaw Jim Duggan.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 24, 2017 6:00AM

@RogerB said:

@AmazonX said:

Was being sarcastic. I one looks at any photo of the moon from the late 1960s the features are sharp and crisply defined. The Ike/Anthony reverse is blurred, mushy and a nondescript mess. Rather than a bold, confident eagle, the coins have a fuzzy, drugged-looking bird unsure of its target.

All the archival letters indicate that Hackel was entirely supportive of this mess. Gasparro certainly did nothing to improve the situation, and the workmanship is similarly weak on the earlier Liberty version. (Just opinions and worth every cent...)

My guess is the mint probably took the same artwork that was used on the Ike Dollar and reduced it with a loss of detail. I never viewed that side as the Anthony Dollar to be that bad. It certainly was easier on the eyes that the obverse.

So far design changes go, I wonder if things would have been different if one of the pattern designs, like the "sailor obverse" had been used for the Twenty Cent Piece. Probably not. I think that the similarity in size, instead of the designs, did the Anthony Dollar and the double dime in. I remember what happened to the last Anthony Dollar I had in my pocket. I mistook it for a quarter, based upon size, and donated it to a charity bucket!

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

The big "1" would have needed some bands to split. :o

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

Susie is older than she looks.

Susan B. Anthony, Cleopatra VII

Yes, that Cleopatra, the seducer of Caesar and Mark Antony.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WillieBoyd2 said:

Yes, that Cleopatra, the seducer of Caesar and Mark Antony.

Looks like SBA could have give Cleopatra a run for her money in the looks department. Not sure how SBA was at seducing, though....

• Options
    erickso1erickso1 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭

I like the SBA. I give them to my son from the tooth fairy when he loses a tooth. I tell him that only the tooth fairy has these, knowing he will never see one in circulation. Makes it all the more real.

• Options

RE: "My guess is the mint probably took the same artwork that was used on the Ike Dollar and reduced it with a loss of detail. "

Reductions were made from the Ike dollar models. Gasparro knew how to run the various Janvier lathes, so the reduction to 26.5mm is faithful to the model. It's the original that is at fault.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭

Used an Ike dollar, a Sacagawea, and Susan B. to buy something today. The girl mistook the SBA for a quarter. I had to explain to her that this is why God made plastic surgeons. Should have paid with my card.

• Options

I like them, have several sets. but I started in 1979 when they came out. they were odd

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 11, 2017 12:07AM

@RogerB said:

@AmazonX said:

Was being sarcastic. If one looks at any photo of the moon from the late 1960s the features are sharp and crisply defined. The Ike/Anthony reverse is blurred, mushy and a nondescript mess. Rather than a bold, confident eagle, the coins have a fuzzy, drugged-looking bird unsure of its target.

You can't blame Gasparro and the US Mint for the design on the Apollo 11 mission patch.
    https://nasa.gov/feature/the-making-of-the-apollo-11-mission-patch

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 11, 2017 8:12AM

@dcarr said:

@RogerB said:

@AmazonX said:

You can't blame Gasparro and the US Mint for the design on the Apollo 11 mission patch.
    https://nasa.gov/feature/the-making-of-the-apollo-11-mission-patch

Good link Dan. It's nice that team members made their own patches and good to read about the thought process behind the Apollo 11 patch. I like how they picked an eagle, chose not to have their names on it, and went with Arabic numbers instead of Roman ones to make it more accessible. I also didn't know the eagle was traced from a National Geographic book about birds, "Water, Prey, and Game Birds of North America."

I like the Ike dollar, but there are still some differences between the Apollo 11 eagle by Michael Collins and the one by Gasparro. The change that stands out to me the most is that the coin's eagle's beak doesn't look bird like in that there's no curve downwards at the tip or change in angle from the top of the head. For comparison, Gobrecht did a good job on the eagle beak on the Gobrecht dollar. I'm still a fan of the Ike dollar overall, but the eagle's head is a head scratcher for me.

The stars on the reverse are a nice touch for coins, but I also think it would be interesting to imagine the reverse without the stars for a cleaner image like on the patch, similar to how the Gobrecht dollar comes with and without stars.

Here's a comparison of the Apollo 11 patch with the Ike dollar reverse:

• Options
    edited September 11, 2017 8:06AM

@RogerB said:

The USA design reminds me of the Bar Cent but not as simple and the USO dollar but not as complicated.

• Options
    edited September 11, 2017 8:07AM

@BillJones said:
    I remember what happened to the last Anthony Dollar I had in my pocket. I mistook it for a quarter, based upon size, and donated it to a charity bucket!

@erickso1 said:
    I like the SBA. I give them to my son from the tooth fairy when he loses a tooth. I tell him that only the tooth fairy has these, knowing he will never see one in circulation. Makes it all the more real.

On the flip side of mistaking SBAs when spending them, I wonder how many people receive SBAs in circulation but just treat them as quarters.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file