Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1837 H10C - What do you think? (GTG)

oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

I picked up this Half Dime a couple months ago. I have always liked these "mini Gobrecht" coins, both H10C and 10C. I just wanted to see what the forum members had to say about her grade.

Thank you for your interest and comments!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...

Comments

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

"mini Gobrecht" :smile:

I like that descriptor :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭

The original 'No Stars' Gobrecht Liberty Seated design has always been my favorite, with its uncluttered, cameo-like appearance, before this tiny coin was cluttered with 13 obverse stars, among other changes. Your coin is an example of the so-called "Small Date" design, with the distinctive flat top to the 1 in the date, using the newly fabricated date numeral punches. The first issues of the 1837 Liberty Seated design used the old numeral punches, from the Capped Bust design, with a distinctive pointed top to the 1, which have been deceptively referred to as the "Large Date".

Your coin is an example of what Daniel W. Valentine defines as his V5 die marriage, identified by the diagnostic large die crack on the reverse, above A2 (first A of AMERICA). Depending upon the specific die state, this marriage also can exhibit obverse rim breaks from K3 to K5, an obverse die crack from the top of Miss Liberty's pole to the rim, a small die crack from A3 (last A of AMERICA) to the rim, and an approximate 24º CW relative rotation of the dies. In still later die state, the aforementioned die crack from A2 to the rim continues below A2 to the wreath.

The surfaces of your coin appear to show signs of an old cleaning, which is retoning nicely. It is well struck, and shows excellent hair detail. I would call it 'Details AU-58 / MS-62'.

They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin - I like them also.
    I would guess AU58, as there appears to be some light hairlines and luster break in the fields.
    But a low MS grade in a newer generation holder wouldn't surprise me either.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    NumivenNumiven Posts: 377 ✭✭✭

Beautiful coin!

58? Not sure how much luster there is...

Numismatics & Photography
    rv@ravenumismatics.com
    Instagram.com/coin2photo

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

My grade would be MS-62 or AU-58 depending upon the amount of dullness in the fields, especially the right obverse field.

It has really nice eye appeal, and is a wonderful example of the Gobrechet's design work before Robert Ball Hughes monkeyed with it and made Ms. Liberty look more "boxy." Here is what I mean by “boxy.” The quality of the artwork really went down.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's enough rub for me to say your coin would grade 55.

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

High AU.....And that's about as good as I can do today. ;)

Definitely like the early seated dime/half dimes much better. Much more delicate artwork compared to the later dates, (as BillJones clearly shows). The later Miss Liberty looks like a power lifter, or something. ;)

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks to be an AU58 to me. Neat coin.

"Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • Options
    AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭

Pretty much agre with the comments above. Before I looked at them my opinion was 55/30% chance of a Genuine

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU58. Nice coin!

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll go 62, just to be different

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin! I would say 62.

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the rim cud. As for the coin, sorry to say it's not for me. it looks like a cleaned AU. But I love the design and have been searching for an 1837 choice AU dime for quite a while now.

Tom

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love it! Especially since Half Dimes are my thing!

I'd say it's a 55. A nicely struck one at that with an interesting die crack too. When that thing popped out of the press it was a stunner.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 23, 2017 2:02PM

Damage 9PM Reverse :*:*

Excepting that, 62ish

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful baby Dime there. AU55-MS62 is my best guess. Nice coin!

• Options
    ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am with the 55 crowd.

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll go with 58. Nice looking coin.

Larry

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AngryTurtle said:
    Pretty much agre with the comments above. Before I looked at them my opinion was 55/30% chance of a Genuine

The right obverse field concerned me but I gotta believe it landed an AU+ straight grade. Nice coin.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say AU58.... depends on how much luster remains... hard to say from the picture....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rollerman said:
    Looks to be an AU58 to me. Neat coin.

I need to add that the right hand field concerns me, looks like a cleaning.

"Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks AU55, however the obverse looks cleaned.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 25, 2017 8:36AM

This is a tough crowd. I don't see any hairlines, and the word "cleaned" keeps cropping up. There could be a rub in the right obverse field. It could also have something to do with the die countours, the toning or a the storege devices that have been used on this coin for the last 180 years. Without seeing this coin in person, "cleaned" is somewhat of a stretch as a primary impression.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

Would it help if CAC liked it?

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

This one intrigues me since the op provides a photo which can be blown up big to see any problems.

I am one of the folks who dislikes this coin alot. There is almost nothing about it I like, other than the cud and the design. The obverse fields have hairlines and there is something going on between the head and the cap that looks like environmental damage. To me, from the front of the legs and from the right side of the 1 and the 7 in the date, it almost looks whizzed and/or polished. The color looks off as well, to my eye. It is clearly a very late die state, but I dislike the coin and, contrary to Bill, I'm surprised so many like it so much. So, I'll just put it out there because the op asked for opinions.

I hope I'm wrong, and I've certainly been wrong before, photos can be deceiving, yadi yadi ya.....

But if CAC likes it, then yes, I would admit I'm wrong.

Tom

• Options

This one did grade at AU58, and I have not sent it to CAC...yet. I have a few that I am going to send next week.

Thank you for playing along and your comments are always appreciated.

• Options

Congratulations. Apparently, I have been too critical.

Tom

• Options

No worries, I asked for opinions and you gave yours.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file