Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Opinions on Grade Type For 1909 V.D.B

I've had this for quite sometime stored away and have been thinking about sending it in.

Comments

• Options
    NumivenNumiven Posts: 377 ✭✭✭

Better obv pic please...

Numismatics & Photography
    rv@ravenumismatics.com
    Instagram.com/coin2photo

• Options
    RedglobeRedglobe Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

Looking at the VDB on the reverse they look different as in two different
    coins.

Rob
  • Options
    MattTheRileyMattTheRiley Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭

Love the toning!

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,131 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll guess you are thinking this is a matte proof. I'm not seeing that.

Larry

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a proof, I just know it!!!

66 is my grade.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2017 7:31PM

I will guess business strike questionable color.

On another note, that dog in your avatar is awesome! :)

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's hard for me to assess the color on the obverse from the picture provided.
    It may be a nice 65 BN or it might be AT.....I would have to see it in hand to determine which.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ldhair said:

agreed

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS65.... a straight on picture of the obverse would help though....not a matte, not a proof.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know it's not exactly the same coin, but here is a 1909 Plain Matte Proof Lincoln. Sorry, but I don't think that you have a Matte Proof. You might have an MS-65, Brown, but you need a good "straight on" view of the obverse to get a better idea of that.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

• Options

@ldhair said:

I didnt say that.

• Options

@Treashunt said:

@ldhair said:

agreed

Did not say proof.

• Options

• Options

@1Mike1 said:
    I will guess business strike questionable color.

On another note, that dog in your avatar is awesome! :)

Thanks for your opinion. And yea the dog is my pride and joy, shes a 110lb Cane Corso.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KICK_ROCKS said:

@ldhair said:

I didnt say that.

I know that you didn't, but we have had so many posts of late from people who kept pushing the issue, that seems like that is the implied goal.

Looking at you coin, I'd say that you proabably have an MS-65, Brown or a high end MS-64. It's a nice coin, but be advised that the color is not outstanding. Large numbers of these coins were saved, and full red examples are not hard to find. I usually prefer brown copper coins because they are more stable, but in this case I bought an MS-65, Red for my type set. I too would like a Matte Proof, but given the problem with a hoard hanging over the market and coins held off of the market because of that hoard, that's not possible.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

I will try and take some better photos when I get home if these aren't good enough.

• Options

@Redglobe said:
    Looking at the VDB on the reverse they look different as in two different
    coins.

Its not, its the same exact coin.

• Options
    KICK_ROCKSKICK_ROCKS Posts: 37
    edited August 23, 2017 7:18PM

@BillJones said:

@KICK_ROCKS said:

@ldhair said:

I didnt say that.

I know that you didn't, but we have had so many posts of late from people who kept pushing the issue, that seems like that is the implied goal.

Looking at you coin, I'd say that you proabably have an MS-65, Brown or a high end MS-64. It's a nice coin, but be advised that the color is not outstanding. Large numbers of these coins were saved, and full red examples are not hard to find. I usually prefer brown copper coins because they are more stable, but in this case I bought an MS-65, Red for my type set. I too would like a Matte Proof, but given the problem with a hoard hanging over the market and coins held off of the market because of that hoard, that's not possible.

Thanks Bill, appreciate your time and comments. So is that your coin? Thats the MS-65 you picked up? And my coin didnt have any of thr known diagnostics of a V.D.B matte, had alot of the 2nd die diagnostics of the regular 1909, which told me the 1909 regular dies may have been used for this buisness strike.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file