Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

People really plated 1955 pennies? Strange coin doctors out there

Comments

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

...I don't know about "coin doctors" in this situation...more like "coin Dexter's..." some people like to destroy things just to watch it happen ;)

• Options
    WatchbelieveWatchbelieve Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

Agreed coin dexters

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I worked for years in Printed Circuit facilities... and often the plating operators would plate coins with gold... or other objects... it was, of course, forbidden, but they did it anyway. Just as an added note, you would not believe the clever ways they came up with to steal gold. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,547 ✭✭✭✭✭

There was a company that used to make charm bracelets for mothers to wear with coins of their kids' birth years. They plated everything to keep them nice for a few years of wear. This might be such a coin.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

Years ago there was some person who was painting quarters red, at least in New England. Maybe this piece was dipped in mercury.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Guilty.

I have a lot of automotive parts plated, in various colors (golden, silvery, black, etc.)

I have about 3 - 4 55 gallon drums of parts plated.

I will toss in coins in the batch. Mostly, they are foreign and are so crudded up, it is impossible to read what they are, but I have also had all my 1943's redone, and random cents for the giggles to see them in other shades. A lot of times, they are console cents, the ones that are left at coinstar, caked solid with brown goo.

It also helps we track the quality of the plating, as the cents are pretty constant, so it a batch looks "odd" it helps me check on the overall quality of the job.

• Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    Years ago there was some person who was painting quarters red, at least in New England. Maybe this piece was dipped in mercury.

Red quarters are 'House' quarters. Used in coin-op machines on premises.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file