Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Why don't PCGS and CAC use cardboard coin boxes?

logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

NGC and some other coin companies use these boxes: http://coinssince1994.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/12732_2F1474058544_2F1-2014sasengcms69-300pc.jpg I have tried to get PCGS to use them, shipping said that the coins might get damaged. Has anyone heard of that happening? Also CAC ships in the square boxes with rubber bands and sheets of cards separating the coins, not sure why. It looks very onerous. Wouldn't it be a lot easier to use the cardboard boxes?

Comments

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Why don't PCGS and CAC use cardboard coin boxes?"

Because they suck!!!!! The boxes that is,,,,,,,

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

The plastic ones make you feel like you got some sort of useful bonus. I personally appreciate them.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

The plastic ones add a lot of weight, are incompatible with other company holders too, as well as early generation PCGS holders. Shipping costs are more as a result.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

The plastic boxes have marketing value

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2017 12:32PM

I use the PCGS Blue Boxes to send to CAC and they send them back to me...sometimes in a different Blue Box...but a PCGS Blue Box nonetheless. CAC uses a little strip of foam, on the inside bottom, to help prevent the slabs from rattling around during shipment.

ANACS uses a card board box to ship coins back in.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2017 12:35PM

@ms70 said:
    The plastic ones make you feel like you got some sort of useful bonus. I personally appreciate them.

I agree.....and like Grandam stated.....cardboard sucks! Also, who cares if other holders don't fit. ;)

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I pay a $10 fee per invoice as a "processing fee" then I want a hard plastic box I can use for years and not a cheap cardboard box that will end up in the recycling bin after a couple of uses.

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    I have tried to get PCGS to use them, shipping said that the coins might get damaged. Has anyone heard of that happening?

Yes, as a matter of fact, (the picture below is NOT PCGS's fault!).
    Imagine what this would look like if the coins were in a cardboard box.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    cnncoinscnncoins Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

Also, I believe CAC uses the cardboard insert between coins so that the coins do not scrape or bang together. May slabs get chipped and scratched in transport.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RichieURich said:

@logger7 said:
    I have tried to get PCGS to use them, shipping said that the coins might get damaged. Has anyone heard of that happening?

WOW......that could have been a disaster! Looks like the coins survived,

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RichieURich said:

@logger7 said:

"The Road Rash" Collection! :s

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

No coins were damaged, probably because there weren't any large diameter coins in the first few slabs.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

After having to ship them to a buyer there is very little value.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe the plastic boxes are far better than cardboard. The cardboard is too easily damaged and if reused (as we collectors tend to do) they wear quickly. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Having the plastic blue boxes, even if used to store things other than coins, gives the impression that you 'know what you are doing' :smile:
    :smile:
    :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Plastic boxes end up being permanent advertisements; cardboard boxes end up in the trash.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    dmwestdmwest Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭

They should at least use the cardboard boxes for the larger slab coins. I just had a bunch of 2 oz coins graded that don't fit in the blue box so they stacked them all laying down and several got scuffed and need to be reslabbed. I think the cardboard would have been better than laying them down and stacking them on top of each other.

Don't quote me on that.

• Options

Cardboard should be an option; no matter what eventually happens to them, they serve a useful purpose, they hold both PCGS and NGC coins, as well as Anacs and Icg, etc.; simple and no nonsense. I have never had coins damaged properly shipped, but I would probably feel differently with $2K and above coins.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doesn't matter as long as I don't get cardboard coins.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CommemKing said:

After having to ship them to a buyer there is very little value.

Disagree. Mention blue box to a coin guy and most will associate with PCGS. Everytime you see one at your house. PCGS. When you see people walking around the bourse with the blue box. PCGS. Marketing need to be consistent.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know for a fact that I sold 5 boxes on ebay for about $20.00. I charged $8 to ship. Actual shipping of 5 boxes was around $15.00. Net, not worth my time. There is no practical way to ship them. buyers wont pay $15 for shipping. I suppose its different if selling at a show without having to ship them. still, little value.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file