Home U.S. Coin Forum

Humbert $50 slug graded

logger7logger7 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

This coin was on the shared orders page: https://www.pcgs.com/cert/85746676 How would this Humbert have circulated down to the VF grade range?

Also there was a 1911 $20 Saint on the same walkthrough invoice. https://www.pcgs.com/Membership/sharedorder.aspx?OrderNo=21283380&Year=2017&Month=8

Comments

• WatchbelieveWatchbelieve Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

That is cool

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    This coin was on the shared orders page: https://www.pcgs.com/cert/85746676 How would this Humbert have circulated down to the VF grade range?

Someone's pocket piece?

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe turned into a pocket piece to hide some damage or cleaning? Looks cool the way it is.

• DCWDCW Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    How would this Humbert have circulated down to the VF grade range?

Well, it is 166 years old ya know!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭

>

Someone's pocket piece?

>

Heavy pocket...

• kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ranshdow said:

>

Someone's pocket piece?

>

Heavy pocket...

They would have walked with a slight tilt, for sure!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like it was a pocket piece for a while... in a pocket without other stuff mostly... just carry wear. Would still love to own it.... ;) Cheers, RickO

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

That looks to be a really top notch coin for the grade. Many of the higher grade pieces have significant marks and edge issues. These coins were big, heavy and solf, and given that finding a VF that looks like that is remarkable.

You must remember than paper money was illegal in California for part of the 19th century. Therefore these coins did have purpose, especially given the fact that prices were very high for the essentials during the gold rush.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very neat coin. $35K in VF, not in my future... but it is nice to dream!

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Batman23 said:
    Very neat coin. $35K in VF, not in my future... but it is nice to dream!

I don't know if $35k would win that piece in a major auction. I looked at an auction that had several pieces it, and picked out the pieces that would have worked for me. They all went for way over the "Coin Facts" numbers.

Of course everyone knows that when I bid on something it goes for a record high amount without fail. ;)

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice specimen :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file