Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Clashed Dies Thread

ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 15, 2017 10:13PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Here's a beautiful clashed dies piece I just ran across and missed. I was waiting to get a piece for my core collection and less than 12 hrs later, it was gone.

Post any clashed dies piece here.

Comments

• DCWDCW Posts: 7,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, that's one of the strongest I've seen!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 15, 2017 10:21PM

@DCW said:
    Wow, that's one of the strongest I've seen!

Next time I see one like that, I'll probably just pick it up. I'm getting better at figuring out which pieces can wait and which ones can't ;)

• jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow!! That is spectacular. I have a a 1948-S Washington with a very nice clash that shows Washington's profile on the reverse.

• AmazonXAmazonX Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

Reverse clashed

• JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love clashed die examples.
    Here is a really cool and very unusual clash.
    As was explained to me by a CONECA guru, this is an example of an oil transfer clash.
    The dies were brought together and an oil film from the reverse transferred to the obverse die. When the next coin was struck, this coin, the oil left an impression or rather a ghost image on the obverse. There is no depression in the metal, only an image of the reverse die shown on the obverse. Really cool.
    I have more pics on a different hard drive that I can show, but here is a quick example so you can see the effect.
    Note the O and N upside down and reversed from UNITED and OF
    Sorry for the old pics.

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • ldhairldhair Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭✭✭

Larry

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins.... That is an amazing clashed die Jefferson.... Cheers, RickO

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coins

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,131 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to have this one; 1869 3CN DDR and a pretty strong die clash too! Even part of the date is at the top of the reverse.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of clashing on both sides (except for scroll to left wing...that's a die break).
    Lance.

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,084 ✭✭✭✭✭

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 16, 2017 10:34AM

This was my coin and it did just sell.

One of the more impressive and deep clashed dies that I have seen.

I truly believe in buying and selling some of the best most eye appealing major (modern) error coins types.

@Zoins said:
    Here's a beautiful clashed dies piece I just ran across and missed. I was waiting to get a piece for my core collection and less than 12 hrs later, it was gone.

Post any clashed dies piece here.

• CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's the strongest clash I've seen of a Jeff 5c-a real beauty! I don't know why visually impressive clashes like that aren't much more popular.

Here's one on a 1913 Var 1 Buff 5c that's known as the "Lone Ranger" variety, so named by Bill Fivaz who wrote an article for "Coin World" on these a number of years ago.

• CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

The more you VAM..

modern "eyes" clash on a 2006 jefferson

That pretty good one, ErrorsOnCoins.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ldhair said:

I was waiting for these! great condition.

A little off topic, but I bought the below coin from the same seller at the same time. Might be part of a dated error coin set or not .....

• RoscoRosco Posts: 253 ✭✭✭✭

Nothing to fancy here...Is this a planchet (error) that flipped, or a clash of sorts ?

R.I.P Son 1986>2020

edited August 16, 2017 12:09PM

Sorry, that is not an error coin as it is vice job. Post Mint Damage

@Rosco said:
    Nothing to fancy here...Is this a planchet (error) that flipped, or a clash of sorts ?

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

As in...another cent faced to this one and squeezed to leave this mess ?

R.I.P Son 1986>2020

@Rosco said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

As in...another cent faced to this one and squeezed to leave this mess ?

Exactly

Wow what a waste of time, had me fooled and curious.
    The Forum is a great place....Thank you !!!

R.I.P Son 1986>2020

WOW Nice Double clash both sides error !!!

@78saen said:

• WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

Much more visible in-person than these old small photos show.

There were several in the same roll will varying degrees of clashing, especially with the pillars and other parts of the Lincoln Memorial showing on the obverse. A strong raised area appears above the Y in LIBERTY.

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

Here's a Roosevelt with a nice clash. It's actually a double clash with rotation between each clash.

• MedalCollectorMedalCollector Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

@koynekwest said:

Here's a Roosevelt with a nice clash. It's actually a double clash with rotation between each clash.

Ive seen a couple of this specific clash over the years and have been meaning to pick one up. Very nice!

Notice how the clash extended even into some of the recessed parts of the die.

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2018 1:47PM

• BeerockBeerock Posts: 71 ✭✭✭

Quarter I've had for a little while.

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is the obverse of the 1813 O.110. It's a wreck.

Besides the obviously heavily worn die (lack of denticles, stars and date numerals drawn to the edge) it suffered from repeated clashing. That bulge you see at Liberty's chin is common enough. It's from significant lapping to remove eagle's left wing. In spite of that the dies clashed multiple times more. Note the triple clash of the scroll just above the date.

Remarkably, the die held together through all this. It is almost entirely free of die cracks...just a small vertical crack left of the date.
    Lance.

• scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a bust quarter with pretty extensive clashing, including the scroll under the bust and the date clashed into "States" on the reverse.

• ldhairldhair Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭✭✭

Larry

• Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 982 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sent this one back in yesterday for regrade. Maybe the variety graders will play nice B)

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file