Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

[Grade Posted] 1938 Walking Liberty Half Dollar GTG

KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 16, 2017 8:29AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Grade: PCGS MS-66

I bought this raw in April and had it graded at PCGS, I just took some pictures of it today that I don't think are too bad. I'm not super satisfied with how they turned out as I don't feel they do the coin justice, but they get the point across. There's a lot of luster, and I am having a difficult time capturing it accurately. Nevertheless, what do you think it graded?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyjOCckAevY

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover

Comments

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks pretty nice - one ding on the face, otherwise just some light superficial marks on the sun, right obv field, and central leg area that I barely noticed until I blew it up, and the luster does look pretty strong.
    Should be a solid MS65 or 65+....maybe even 66 today.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS66 if there is no hidden rub that doesn't show in the image.

• Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

66+

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 15, 2017 12:53PM
    1. Wait, is there a dark spot on the eagle's breast?
  • Options

@Insider2 said:
    66. Wait, is there a dark spot on the eagle's breast?

Nope - Just uneven lighting.

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coin; tougher P mint as well.
    Looks solid 66 to 66+ to me.
    I love it!

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gotta be a 66 in my book. Just stunningly bright and beautiful!

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS66

• Options
    edited August 15, 2017 1:50PM

@Wabbit2313 said: "64"

?? What do you see?

I saw: MS-66 w/ something on the eagle.

Marks: Hardly any = 66.
    Strike: OK, fairly nice= 64-66.
    Luster: Above Average, full original = 66-68.
    Eye Appeal = Exceptional 67-68.

However Mr. Wabbit, you have opened my eyes. There is a huge hit on the face! Due to the outstanding "look" of the coin (w/o the damaged face) I'm going to drop my grade to an MS-65 (that I should never purchase). IM new O, there is too much "coin" to be a 64.

Was the hit on the face what you saw?

• Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

No changing your guess's @Insider2 , the TPGs don't get mulligans, lol

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options

@BruceS said: "No changing your guess's @Insider2 , the TPGs don't get mulligans, lol "

But they do make mistakes on occasion. Consider my new opinion made as a result of a "reconsideration review" or whatever they call it.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW, is about all I can add.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

@Wabbit2313 said:

You're a tough man to please! I've added a video to the original post.

• Options
    ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 775 ✭✭✭

Solid strike, could be 67 if not for ding on face.

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kyle said:

@Wabbit2313 said:

You're a tough man to please! I've added a video to the original post.

Video looks 66. I'll bite on 65 with the grade tightening going on these days. Whack on the face should be worth a point but I am rooting for you! Sun is also a little iffy.

Sure is a nice looking coin!

• Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,407 ✭✭✭✭✭

65 due to the major facial hit

Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is April 12-13, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've got more 64's than you can shake a stick at....(whatever that means. :) )

That ain't no 64. I'll get on the 66 bandwagon....

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options

Can't say I am a huge fan of it either. I wouldn't have guessed 67+ on that.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I want to say 65+ but there are only 7 of those. I'll go 65. This coin comes very nice.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coin Kyle

• Options

@LeeBone said:
    Very nice coin Kyle

Thank You

I will post the grade tomorrow afternoon.

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is one beautiful looking coin. :+1::+1:

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 15, 2017 6:06PM

MS65 reg holder if it was the luster was not so blinding it would be 64 the face hit is why. Stunning coin whatever the grade. Incidentally I don't know if the hit is really a strike thru or not if it is they may not be so tough on the hit.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 15, 2017 9:39PM

This issue can you come softly struck but this example is sharp and has great luster. Facial hit is not too bad. Fields are really clean. I think it's a 66.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd go solid 65. It's a very nice looking walker, just the strikethrough on the cheek and minor chatter on the sun and right obverse field keep it from a 66 in my opinion.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS66.... Very nice Walker... lots of luster and clean fields... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well done!

• Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭

Looks nice, even with the Glasgow smile.

Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

First off your image quality is very good, nice example.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

very pretty

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice... I like the coin and the grade.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 18, 2017 8:59PM

Saw the PCGS grade of 66 and saw nothing in the pics to disagree with the assigned grade.

However, it probably will not get the CAC sticker at the 66 grade only because of the hit on Liberty's head and part of the CAC stickering concept is based on sight unseen solid 66. To be a solid 66 it would have to grade at least 66.3 or 66.4 ........it probably rates a 66.1 or 66.2.still nice but with one potentially slightly annoying defect depending on the person evaluating it.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

wow

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oreville said:

However, it probably will not get the CAC sticker at the 66 grade ....

Better send it in and try for a downgrade.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file