Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Carson City find in England - Grade Posted

BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,871 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 26, 2017 11:50AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I spent the morning at the Birmingham coin fair in the UK about an 1:30hr drive south of my house. Normally it is the same stuff from the same dealers but I lucked out today with a roughly $40 purchase of a tough 1872-CC half dollar located in a stack of trays. The reverse has some scratches but I'd assume a straight grade at VG something.

Also saw a decent 1793 Wreath cent vine and bars which would have gone F15 or so, a load of generic white Morgans, worn large cents and a few pieces of generic US gold.

I also bought some really nice red British copper but I'll spare that on the liteside forum.

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice old CC...that has seen a lot of commerce - and miles.... Across the U.S., across the Atlantic... May even have been to Europe.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭✭✭

40$ equals amazing

But it shouldn't grade but VG10 details with a value close to VG8 levels

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice score!
    Was the wreath cent bargain priced too?

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options

@Walkerguy21D said:
    Nice score!
    Was the wreath cent bargain priced too?

Not 7500 quid so $9800

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ahh - yeah, not so much LOL.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options

grade posted

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 26, 2017 12:05PM

Did they not look at the reverse?

Edited to add: Congrats!

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm a bit surprised

• Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 26, 2017 12:20PM

@cmerlo1 said:

I actually like the reverse better than the obverse. The scratches look very light and appear to be from honest wear rubbing against keys in a pocket or such and don't really detract until one blows up the size of the photo.

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@northcoin said:

@cmerlo1 said:

I actually like the reverse better than the obverse. The scratches look very light and appear to be from honest wear rubbing against keys in a pocket or such and don't really detract until one blows up the size of the photo.

I've gotten details grades for a lot less than that...

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cmerlo1 said:

I've gotten details grades for a lot less than that...

"Rarity Blinders"?

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll bet that one never gets cracked out.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice score!

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet! Did you use PCGS Paris? Do they send the coins back to the US for grading?

• Options
    edited September 26, 2017 1:21PM

@Wabbit2313 said:
    Sweet! Did you use PCGS Paris? Do they send the coins back to the US for grading?

Paris... economy submission. Handed the coins off Saturday, graded Tuesday. Epic service.

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool find!

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. You got a nice gift.

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

That coin should not have straight graded.

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those reverse marks seem to be very light, as they barely show on the raised devices. I think the dirt in them just makes them more visible. I think the graders made a judgement call and I tend to agree with them. It's very cool what you run across in Europe.

• Options
    au58au58 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭

This coin is a F-12 with graffiti. Those scratches were deliberate.

• Options
    au58au58 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭

@northcoin said:

@cmerlo1 said:

@northcoin said:

@cmerlo1 said:

The scratches extend into the eagle's neck, wings, and the shield.
    The scratches are mostly horizontal.
    A pocket piece might show random marks, but on both sides.
    Again, this coin was deliberately defaced.

• Options
    OwenSeymourOwenSeymour Posts: 366 ✭✭✭✭

Don't take it personal, but I'm honestly captivated that straight graded

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 28, 2017 6:41AM

The coins semi-sucks. Certainly worth a "You Suck" ;)

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good clean living

• Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

Im just shocked. I really want to see this coin in hand to determine how deep those scratches are. I know you know your coins and you stated in the op you thought it would still grade, but tough coin or not, from just the first set of pics this is a disservice to the grading companies and another coin that undermines pcgs graders.

may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 27, 2017 11:18PM

@au58 said:

@northcoin said:

@cmerlo1 said:

@northcoin said:

@cmerlo1 said:

The scratches extend into the eagle's neck, wings, and the shield.
    The scratches are mostly horizontal.
    A pocket piece might show random marks, but on both sides.
    Again, this coin was deliberately defaced.

OK, I guess it is possible that someone who hated the U.S. living abroad deliberately defaced the American Eagle, but I still contend that the scratches are minimal when viewed with the eye not using magnification. Just compare the normal sized and exploded size views offered by the OP. It is my understanding that PCGS graders do not use magnification in grading so it is not all that surprising that this straight graded - especially as a VG coin and not one that was mint state.

• Options

@joebb21 said:
    Im just shocked. I really want to see this coin in hand to determine how deep those scratches are. I know you know your coins and you stated in the op you thought it would still grade, but tough coin or not, from just the first set of pics this is a disservice to the grading companies and another coin that undermines pcgs graders.

I'll send you the coin to check out on the condition that you help me sell it.

• Options
    RB1026RB1026 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭✭

Nice coin! The scratches don't bother me. Congrats!

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joebb21 said:

A disservice to the grading companies? If their credibility has been affected, the graders were wielding the shovel.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

@joebb21 said:

Is that the same coin in the PCGS plastic? I thought you put the slabbed coin up as a comparison. If they are the same coin, I agree fully with @joebb21.

Paul
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ColonelJessup said:

@joebb21 said:

A disservice to the grading companies? If their credibility has been affected, the graders were wielding the shovel.

When i am looking to buy a pcgs certified coin I imagine that the coin inside is relatively problem free. Once again I have not seen this coin in hand and boosibri is no slouch to coins and he believed the coin should grade as well, but the seeming large amounts of scratches on the reverse make me wonder how on earth this coin could be called problem free and not "scratched" or "grafiti"

When problem coins in graded holders sell at large auctions they usually bring 60-80% of the going rate of a non problem example. The new auction result is then published for all to see and greysheet sees this new low and drops their bid 20%-40% believing that the new market is now 20%-40% lower because of the price realized. We have all seen this happen hundreds of times.

If somebody sent me an email saying "hi, I have an 1872-cc 50c pcgs vg10 how much would you pay?" I would probably say $300-$325 sight unseen because I "know" pcgs is weeding out problem coins. seeing coins like this (based on pictures alone) make me less aggressive sight unseen as I really dont know if the coin is problem free or not. Hence-lowering the value of the brand

may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice seated half :)

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

Meanwhile my simple re-holder was received on the 20th, and still no updates....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file