Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I just read about the HENNING NICKELS. PLEASE POST YOURS

I just read about the 1944 HENNING nickel. I read there were also 1939, 1946, 1947, and 1953 as well. Please post yours. I'm so curious as so what they all look like.

Comments

• Options
    AmazonXAmazonX Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

Both are 1944.

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

I've always wanted a Henning Nickel, but haven't owned one yet.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    WatchbelieveWatchbelieve Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

Very cool

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are a couple on eBay right now.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

One day I must search my bags of nickels... for Hennings and war nickels... There must be one in those bags.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 10, 2017 6:54PM

Most of them seem to be well worn. The better ones have a "flag pole" coming out of the dome of Monticello.

A better look at the "flag pole."

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even rarer than the nickels is the 1982 reference written by Dwight Stuckey.

• Options

Somewhere I have a 1944 Henning that still has most of its original surfaces and luster. I also have one with major die deterioration under Jefferson's chin, presumably struck at the end of that die's lifespan.

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is an interesting story. I had one for the longest time and sold it since I am not really a Jeff collector.

K

ANA LM
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found at least one (maybe it was 2?) in a bag of 1,000 circ. pre 1960 nickels that I bought from the "back pages" of NN a few years ago.
    One was a 1944 (P) and the other one was I think a 1953.
    They are since gone.

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

For those who keep track of such things, a 1947 Henning nickel sold this week on eBay for $455.88: https://www.ebay.com/itm/264475908469

• Options

:o
    That's incredible! I have lots of 1944s but no other dates.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's kind if cool that a fake would sell for exponentially more than a genuine example.
    Certainly understandable, but still cool.

• Options

@BeefCurry808 said:
    Heres mine that I recently got holdered for my personal collection.

Hmmm. When does a counterfeit merit some sort of "authentic" designation? :p

Yours is a genuine Henning rather than a forgery of a Henning forgery.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

The "Henning Nickel" is worth many times what the forger was attempting to replicate. So I'd expect where there is money to be made, the Chinese will soon follow.
    I know it's an oxymoron to see an "authentic" forgery like this and the Omega Saints, but they have a cult following.
    Here is mine:

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    BeefCurry808BeefCurry808 Posts: 234 ✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

@BeefCurry808 said:
    Heres mine that I recently got holdered for my personal collection.

Hmmm. When does a counterfeit merit some sort of "authentic" designation? :p

Yours is a genuine Henning rather than a forgery of a Henning forgery.

I personally asked myself that lol. I am quite curious on whats the deal with giving a counterfeit a grade.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry, I had to resurrect this thread. I recently acquired these two guys.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    hfjacintohfjacinto Posts: 766 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

We need those other dates @hfjacinto! 😃

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is my 1944 (no ["P"]) Henning. It has full mint luster and it shows what these looked like right off the press.

• Options

Thanks for posting those Dan!

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Should be more of those "Cud" 46 ers out there.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file