Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How are these still on ebay?

ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 4, 2018 12:58PM in U.S. Coin Forum

These counterfeits are cluttering up my searches and generally annoying me. I've reported several of them but nothing seems to be happening. Look at the numbers sold, these things are flying off the shelves... They are all terrible fakes but if someone was to toss a few of them into a bulk sale they could easily go unnoticed and that is a problem.
27-s peace
Another
1862 seated
1895 morgan

And it goes on and on, from those listings you'll see other listings of similar terrible fake coins, and a lot are "sponsored" or power sellers even. How are these not immediately taken down?

Edit: Rather than making a new thread when I find CF coins I will resurrect this one. Last links added in the 1/2/18 post.

Collector, occasional seller

Comments

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yet some believe Ebay is the BEST place to buy coins.
    I see more of this is going thru the internet sales more and more?

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    TradernikTradernik Posts: 111 ✭✭
    edited August 9, 2017 7:25PM

From the text of the last auction you linked to...

Description:

100% Brand New and High Quality
    Special Design and fashion
    Occasion: daily life

Wow. 110,000 + eBay feedback

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is ... well... un-frikkin-believable... no 'copy' or visible mark... so after purchase, these coins just 'enter the market'.....Very sad. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

Indeed these being sprinkled into a large bag of dollars could be a problem.

• Options
    JcldJcld Posts: 449 ✭✭✭

These need to be labeled as copy or replica. Even though they look fake to even a novice collector, they would be easily slipped in to a junk silver bin or other bulk purchase.

This is funny though

Color: Silver

Material:metal

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are poor quality fakes indeed (which is a good thing). But there is always someone who will knowingly use them to separate someone from their collecting money.

K

ANA LM
  • Options
    Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 1927s is pretty bad lol

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beware of Chinese sellers, selling junk on Ebay.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, but what a deal at $1.19 per !

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reported as counterfeits and seller being a fraud.
    bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

At the PCGS Registry Luncheon on Friday of the ANA, ICTA announced a ramped-up war on counterfeiters and counterfeiting. What that means for listings like these, I have no idea, but increased awareness of the problem by those enforcing the laws (which reportedly is happening) could get them closer to cracking down on eBay for lax enforcement of their policies. Or maybe not. Or maybe it'll be too little, too late. About all we can do now is report these sellers, but one can only play Whack-a-Mole on eBay for so long.

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe listing it as 'non-currency coins' gets them off the hook in the eyes of ebay? Hate to see these popping up in the bulk lots (or anywhere else).

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just browsing the bay before bed, gonna bump my old CF thread here rather than make a new one. These sure look fake to me. The seller primarily has used books and such, so probably got taken on some of the $2 from China pieces listed above.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1923-P-and-1925-P-Peace-Silver-Dollars-from-Coin-Collection-in-plastic-holders/232617600425?hash=item362916e5a9:g:suUAAOSwDFBaTBff

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1895-P-Morgan-1925-P-Peace-Silver-Dollars-from-Coin-Collection/232617654697?hash=item362917b9a9:g:5hcAAOSwLdBaTCe~

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PTVETTER said:
    Yet some believe Ebay is the BEST place to buy coins.
    I see more of this is going thru the internet sales more and more?

If you know what you're doing.......Ebay could be (I said COULD) a gold mine. When you get people who don't do research on what they are selling, and just throw up items for sale.......that's the time for "knowledge is power" people to strike.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mannie gray said:
    Yeah, but what a deal at $1.19 per !

A good representative but should not be promoted as genuine. Aside from questionable metal material; labor Chinese labor must be equivalent to a few pennies. I see many overseas seller including Lithuania selling rare coins.

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not a fan of eBay for those that don't know it.

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    vplitevplite Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭

@asheland said:
    Indeed these being sprinkled into a large bag of dollars could be a problem.

This is very bad for most every community, bullion buyers, coin collectors, eBayers, etc.

The Golden Rule: Those with the gold make the rules.
  • Options
    TopoftheHillTopoftheHill Posts: 180 ✭✭✭

It appears all four have been taken down. Great job!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file