Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Chicago area Topps unopened collectors....

Just an FYI: Lots of late 70s early 80s rack cases heading to a local auction your way. Potential group break material.

auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/photopanel.cgi?listingid=2958606&category=0&zip=&kwd=

3 part auction with some solid stuff the other days.....wish it was closer

Comments

• Options
    tbonewillytbonewilly Posts: 424 ✭✭✭

Holy Batman!...That is some sweet stuff!

Ken - Volunteered to work in Florida Keys, now freezing in Ohio
    Work in progress - Unopened Racks/Cello/Wax with star power for Baseball, Football and Basketball
    Collecting unopened 80's boxes and graded packs
    I may be hoarding too much 80's junk wax but I like it!
  • Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

is this an on line auction? nothing is authenticated? just blew some money by opening up those rack boxes; who knows what's been cherry picked now.

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 6, 2017 6:29PM

Wow, that is an awesome hoard of unopened product!

All cases appear to be from 1978, 1979, 1980 and 1983. Everything looks good from the pics, at least, and some cases are still sealed. I'd bet these cases, both full and partial, were overstock in a warehouse somewhere as they don't appear to be particularly organized or cared for like you'd expect if they were in a private collection.

Perhaps Steve or Reed can get over there to check it out.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    BeRoyalKCBeRoyalKC Posts: 413 ✭✭

Curious why they wouldn't find a more specialized auction house. Auctions by Jennifer? Seems with that type of collection the owner would have tried to bring it to a hobby auctioneer but I'm not familiar with Jennifer so maybe it's legit. Just maybe Jennifer is really Jenny and these are the cases she has been teasing us with all along.

#CROWNED

2015 World Series Champions
    2018 Worst Minor League System In Baseball
    #FIREDAYTONMOORE
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2017 7:30PM

The likelihood is that whoever found or acquired these cases has no knowledge about the hobby or auction house options. At CU, we take it for granted that those options would be the better avenue but many people have no clue when it comes to these things. The auction might also be the result of a storage locker seizure or something similar. We have no idea what the background story is on these cases.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    49ersGuy49ersGuy Posts: 382 ✭✭

Group break sounds good to me!

• Options
    VintagemanEdVintagemanEd Posts: 922 ✭✭✭

That almost just looks like a hoax

• Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

Wow. That's crazy. Great find. It's not far from me. I'll check it out for sure. If it's legit and others want in, let me know.

"Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options
    SmithAuctionCoSmithAuctionCo Posts: 161 ✭✭✭

It appears to be a legit auction for sure. Looking at previous auctions of the auction company, they have sold sports items in the past, properly described them, and realized okay prices. So, someone at the auction house at least knows a little bit about sports cards.

An auction of that caliber should definitely be cataloged and allow online bidding as well, but I bet they still will realize good prices. All it takes is for a few guys that know the material to show up and bid.

I am more interested in knowing about what is in the collection that they are not showing in the pictures. Got to be a few hidden gems...

Good luck to anyone that can make it to the auctions!

• Options
    TheMickTheMick Posts: 217 ✭✭✭

Near my house too. I might take a look.

• Options
    CSUrunandstunCSUrunandstun Posts: 573 ✭✭✭

@BeRoyalKC said:
    Curious why they wouldn't find a more specialized auction house. Auctions by Jennifer? Seems with that type of collection the owner would have tried to bring it to a hobby auctioneer but I'm not familiar with Jennifer so maybe it's legit. Just maybe Jennifer is really Jenny and these are the cases she has been teasing us with all along.

Jennifer = grandma "Jenny"?

Successful transactions with FavreFan1971, ffishonn, Davemri, Publius, DavidPuddy, frcarvell, recbball, and many others...
  • Options

Anyone's local know the original owners? Joanne and Bob Dodro? Looks like some great auctions. Must have been a pretty serious dealer with that inventory.

#CROWNED

#FIREDAYTONMOORE
  • Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 7, 2017 6:49PM

Looks like they used to own a store and Joanne was the Publication Queen at the National Sports show. They both passed?

2 Day Estate Auction

Joanne & Robert (Bob) Dodro Estate

Sports Memorabilia Auction # 2

We have been asked to liquidate an incredible and very large collection collected by the late Robert & Joanne Dodro over many years. Joanne was known as the Publication Queen at the National Sports show here in Chicago & they both ran Sports Cards N More Shop over many years!!!

Auction # 2 will be on Sunday Aug 27th & Auction # 3 is Sat. August 16th (More may be added as we sort this collection)

At this time we are sorting part of the collection from a two thousand square foot warehouse & will be adding photos as we unload the trucks. Some of the items we have seen are hundreds of sealed cases of 1980's & 90's Baseball, Football, Hockey, Basketball & other Cards. Large Collection of Signed Photos, Hundreds of Card Sets from the 1970's, 80's, 90's. Many cards from the 50's, 60's, Steins, Plates, Posters, Gloves, Banners, Shirts, Unsigned photos, Buttons, Pins, Postcards, Programs, Sports Magazines, Baseball Magazines, Books, Baseballs, Bats, Hats & Much Much More

Photos for this auction will be added as we sort this enormous collection, Please keep checking back!!!!

ATTEN: This is the first of multiple Auctions, As we sort & lot the estates we will be adding more Auctions as needed to liquidate the Sports Collection!! Keep checking back for photo's and future Auctions!!

• Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

whoa...def looks legit (the opened material)...def group break....condition looks amazing...good luck!!

Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    dmurphy3mvpdmurphy3mvp Posts: 264 ✭✭✭

I'm flying into Chicago as we speak, just to attend this auction. My intention is to buy every single lot.

Reed Kasaoka
    Buyer, Baseball Card Exchange

cell: (808) 372-1974
    email: ReedBBCE@gmail.com
    eBay stores: bbcexchange, bbcexchange2, bbcexchange3, bbcexchange4

• Options
    tonylagstonylags Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

@dmurphy3mvp said:
    I'm flying into Chicago as we speak, just to attend this auction. My intention is to buy every single lot.

Keep us posted with your results. Good Luck. Feel free to share the wealth and do some group breaks.

I have to much S**t; so if you working on sets or are a player/team collector, send me your want list, with conditions desired. Keep in mind I have a another job so please allow me a few days to respond.

• Options
    flcardtraderflcardtrader Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

I never thought about unopened material until I came to this group. Unopened was what you purchased to open and last years unopened was old news! Now it is a strong suite of my collection.

That stuff listed is quite a hoard - good luck to all bidders from CU!

flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Shopify Store
    Ebay Store
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dmurphy3mvp said:

I almost forgot you work for BBCE. Reed, right? Good luck, looks like your inventory is going to get a boost from this auction.

• Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭

Holy sh!$, Batman!

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a 1975 OPC baseball full wax box,

and I think 3 1975 topps baseball full wax boxes.

Can't tell for sure if the 75 topps are regular cards or minis'. Anyone know for sure?

• Options

Yep, this is Reed at BBCE. Here's hoping all the vintage wax is legit! I've been to my share of these types of auctions where unknowledgeable buyers think they've scored a deal. If any vintage unopened comes up for bid and you don't see my raise my hand, that box is no good.

Reed Kasaoka

• Options

@Darin said:
    There is a 1975 OPC baseball full wax box,

and I think 3 1975 topps baseball full wax boxes.

Can't tell for sure if the 75 topps are regular cards or minis'. Anyone know for sure?

Look like regular-sized boxes to me. Amazing hoard!

http://www.auctionzip.com/Full-Image/2958606/fp298.cgi

• Options
    initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭

@dmurphy3mvp said:

Animal. You wouldn't be doing your job if this wasn't the case.
    First thought was BBCE would be all up in it if it was legit. Have a great trip and I hope you snag it up. Remember us for a taste haha

• Options
    VintagemanEdVintagemanEd Posts: 922 ✭✭✭

So when is the first day of the auction

• Options
    DragnetDragnet Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

I believe there are 3 auctions, the first 2 are this weekend (Saturday, 26th & Sunday, 27th).

Reed, if you don't mind sharing, would be interested to know if the pre-75 boxes are legit!

• Options

In the photos for Saturday it looks like a case of 1977 Topps is one of the pictures. If that is so I wonder why that case was not moved to the "Showcase" auction in September. Looks like this will be a long day but lots of fun. I thought about driving in for it but without being able to make it in for at least 5 hours of preview I just wouldn't feel great about bidding on a lot of it. However it definitely looks like there are items there that will be fun for all ranges of budget. Good luck to those that attend.

Reed or anyone attending I'd really enjoy a brief recap of some prices realized if there were some great deals or no deals at all. Enjoy!!

#CROWNED

#FIREDAYTONMOORE
  • Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

Mind = Blown

• Options
    ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

@dmurphy3mvp said:
    Yep, this is Reed at BBCE. Here's hoping all the vintage wax is legit! I've been to my share of these types of auctions where unknowledgeable buyers think they've scored a deal. If any vintage unopened comes up for bid and you don't see my raise my hand, that box is no good.

Looking forward to seeing your haul! If it is authentic/legit, y'all should land some major boxes/cases. If you get something at a great price, let's do another special CU box/case break :)

• Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭

I know this is off topic since it's not the same auction and in Texas, rather than Chicago... but did anyone see the sealed 1977 Topps wax tray case on eBay?? Very nice, would love to group rip that sucker (at a better price).

• Options
    ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

That tray case looks like it is in great shape.

• Options
    shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭

holy crap just saw the rest of the items including the bowman 5cent football pack box, the 51T, and the 76 football wax box. pretty random once you break away from the 78-83 hoard.

• Options

I did not see a '77 case. I see two '77 wax boxes. What is the picture # from the gallery for that case?

Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    #CROWNED

#FIREDAYTONMOORE
  • Options

thought that was a 1987 o-pee-chee case, but I'm no expert.. perhaps someone who knows more can verify.

• Options

Could anyone who was present for the viewing verify the authenticity of any of these pre-80 boxes?

• Options

@djr said:
    Things were going much higher than you would think with a small auction house like this one...

How are you getting results? Hammer prices on late 70's early 80's?

Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options

Demand for product appears strong in any venue, large or small. And word has spread about these lots, too. The unopened collector community is a tightly knit one.

• Options

I couldn't make it with my sons soccer game but viewed auctions on Wednesday and Friday and put in a few absentee bids a little under retail...I thought I'd win every lot, guess not..haha. Saw Reed there on Friday as he and many others were busy checking it all out. Lot of unopened junk but also some good stuff...everyone was represented..talked to people who flew in and many who took days off. Nothing went unoticed. They had sets from 54 up...not one graded and prolly all in the PSA 5-6 range...I checked every mantle.

Tomorrow is another day but today's lots were much better than tomorrow.

• Options

Well hearing the deals weren't that great I'm glad I didn't drive in from KC. I've been to auction like that where you could make a mint buying items on Ebay and selling at the auction. Been to others where you make out like a bandit as well.> @djr said:

From Steve @ BBCE, ''We won the 84 FU case ($14,500), but its not sealed. Stuff is going for over retail and crazy prices for junk and crap. We need to fake a death and have our stuff go to an auction like this!''

Is that an 84 Fleer Update case? Didn't notice the pic of that one.

#CROWNED

#FIREDAYTONMOORE
  • Options

We actually paid $14K plus the BP. It was not a featured item; it was offered in a lot where your high bid gives you the choice to buy as many items as you wish at that price, then they re-auction the lot again over and over until it's gone. I've never owned a case of this, and technically since the case wasn't sealed, I still haven't. Still cool as hell; these sets are relatively untouched.

If anybody tells you the market is slow or dead, they should have been here today. I learned a lot today about what some are willing to pay for stuff. I also should be handing out business cards that say, "you could have bought that item for less at www.bbcexchange.com."

Reed Kasaoka

• Options
    JustMarkJustMark Posts: 18 ✭✭

Newbie here but I was at the auction as well and can confirm most of what was said. The couple ran a sports memorabilia shop and both have passed away without heirs. The state is pushing the liquidation by October 1st (I think) and the court appointed attorney loaded it off on this auction house as the attorney didn't know what they had here. The auction house is bit over their head but I think they are doing their best. Some of the people I talked with there thought the crowd was 75% dealer but that would seem weird as prices were all close to retail pricing. Still as a non-dealer I like the lots I picked up.
    Mark

• Options

@JustMark said:
    Newbie here but I was at the auction as well and can confirm most of what was said. The couple ran a sports memorabilia shop and both have passed away without heirs. The state is pushing the liquidation by October 1st (I think) and the court appointed attorney loaded it off on this auction house as the attorney didn't know what they had here. The auction house is bit over their head but I think they are doing their best. Some of the people I talked with there thought the crowd was 75% dealer but that would seem weird as prices were all close to retail pricing. Still as a non-dealer I like the lots I picked up.
    Mark

Welcome to the boards and congrats on your pickups.

• Options

@dmurphy3mvp said:
    We actually paid $14K plus the BP. It was not a featured item; it was offered in a lot where your high bid gives you the choice to buy as many items as you wish at that price, then they re-auction the lot again over and over until it's gone. I've never owned a case of this, and technically since the case wasn't sealed, I still haven't. Still cool as hell; these sets are relatively untouched.

If anybody tells you the market is slow or dead, they should have been here today. I learned a lot today about what some are willing to pay for stuff. I also should be handing out business cards that say, "you could have bought that item for less at www.bbcexchange.com."

Agreed completely.

Sounds like the crisser stands corrected (again).

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

Sounds like the crisser stands corrected (again).

Say it ain't so!!!!!!!!!!
    James

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭

does the fleer update case have 100 sets in it? $145 per set is pretty good. i think they usually retail for $250-$300 or so.

• Options
    Schultz24Schultz24 Posts: 202 ✭✭
    edited August 26, 2017 8:19PM

Yep, I was hoping I was the only sneaky one who saw it in the pile of 1991 Fleer Update cases, but Reed quickly blew my measly $5k out of the water!!!! The auction was really fun to see, but most things were out of my reach, still got a couple of small things just to say I did

• Options
    49ersGuy49ersGuy Posts: 382 ✭✭

I'm in for (2) 84 Fleer Update sets!

Lets just hope its not like the 1986 fleer sets i almost bought from a woman advising me they are untouched. Of course they were w/o all the key rookies.

• Options

I found out last night I won a couple lots and they were the ones I wanted most which was incredibly surprising and super cool. I'll post pictures when I verify and pick them up.

• Options

For those who attended, curious as to how Sunday's session went?