Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Best option on OGH $20?

logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a better date $20 Liberty coin, PCGS OGH and cac, MS63. Coin is prooflike or semi-pl. The holder is messed up, I tried to clean it up with Maguire's scratch x which got the scratches out, but the visibility of the coin is not that good, but not bad enough for cac to sticker it, they work in the dark with 75-100w lights, so the plastic is not an issue I guess.

Options are keep it like it is, try to get the holder clearer, not sure how. Get it reholdered/true viewed at PCGS, then I have to send it back to cac for the bean. Run through NGC, maybe NCS would look at it too for a quick dip in acetone as there may be a little film on it and prooflike fields would come out. NGC will give you a PL on gold like this, PCGS will not.

Comments

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

Old Green Holders are a selling point. It's shame that you might need to give it up. The window on the holder must not be too bad if CAC could see enough of the coin to approve it.

One of the members had a video on how to remove major scratches with headlight polisher, a drill and polishing brushes. Maybe you can find it.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

What date?

• Options

@BillJones said:
    Old Green Holders are a selling point. It's shame that you might need to give it up. The window on the holder must not be too bad if CAC could see enough of the coin to approve it.

One of the members had a video on how to remove major scratches with headlight polisher, a drill and polishing brushes. Maybe you can find it.

Scratches are gone but if you work the plastic too long with Maguire's the viewing plastic is not optimum.

• Options
    BloodManBloodMan Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would leave it as is, but if the date is rare with the PL designation, it might be worth it to have it graded by NGC. It would not be worthwhile if it were a 1904 or 1898-S, which are common in PL.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would keep it as is.... however, I do not sell coins, so if you do, you must consider the options... and the gamble with reholdering etc.. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

the new generations holders are very nice. if i had an ogh that was just shot, i would consider re-holdering in one of those.

i would much rather have a $20 in a pcgs holder than the same coin in an ngc holder with the pl designation.

can you post a pic of the coin?

• Options

@steveben said:
    i would much rather have a $20 in a pcgs holder than the same coin in an ngc holder with the pl designation.

Assuming the coin can merit a PL or DPL designation at NGC (this is a big assumption), you would be leaving money on the table when it comes time to sell. I have crossed many prooflike double eagles into NGC plastic to get the designation. Less than one half of one percent of NGC graded double eagles have been designated as (D)PL, and they typically sell for a significant premium over non-designated NGC and PCGS coins in the same grade. The premium various depending on the year and the scarcity of PL examples.

• Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

Send it to bolivarshagnasty, he's the resident slab doctor.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 6, 2017 6:42PM

Don't give up the OGH. As long as the edges aren't chipped or the slab isn't cracked, I'm 95% certain the holder can be restored to like new condition. Shoot me a PM.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 6, 2017 10:37PM

This thread is worthless without pics. As long as you don't throw it in a no reserve auction, someone will pay you a premium consistent with the quality of the mirrored fields even in a PCGS holder. I would try to salvage the OGH. Have you tried using a polishing head with a cordless drill?

I use something like this polishing bob with Meguiar's PlastX:

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 6, 2017 10:19PM

A giant roll of toilet paper. I never thought of that.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:

mark

I hear Quilted Northern is the best. :D

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 7, 2017 5:43AM

I would reholder it buyers back off on damaged holders especially big ticket material.

Get the dent taken care at the body shop then respray / add mods (sticker).

As a standard practice I usually crack, dip, resubmit OGH material seeking upgrade.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:

mark

Someone PMed me and thought you were serious.

• Options

Mr. Whipple: "Please don't squeeze the Charmin!"

• Options

I sent the coin into NGC for a crossover, keep in mind it is old holder PCGS and cac, I thought it was prooflike too. NGC would not cross it over but sent it back to me with their usual note. So I sold it to cac.

• Options

Just curious…what was the date?

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Send the coin to me. Include return shipping with package. The windows will be like new when I return it. No charge.
    OGH are easy. The newer slabs not so much.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭

Get it reholdered. Buyers back off damaged holders, so do I.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file