Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I Really Thought this Walker would get a Gold CAC Sticker

KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I posted this coin when I first purchased it and the general consensus on grade was around MS-65. Guesses were all over the place. The coin ended up with a green sticker, would love to hear your thoughts on this one. Pictures, and a video below.

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover

Comments

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

i think that walkers are one of the harder coins to grade. i did not think this prior to taking the grading courses at the ana.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well I see three fairly significant marks in the right obverse field, and what looks to be some hairlines intermingled with the die polish lines.
    These weren't as evident in your original post, when I estimated 64+.
    But I still think it is truly MS.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,685 ✭✭✭✭✭

It sure looks nice!

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, the problem the coin is up against isn't eye appeal or the coin being technically nice for the grade, which are aspects of the MS grade range that it might have to overcome in order for a gold CAC sticker, but instead since it is an AU58 the coin would have to show no actual wear. In-hand there might be a trace of wear on the eagle's breast or leg on the reverse or on Ms. Liberty's breast or the line down her body to her foot. If the wear is there, then it might not matter how strong its eye appeal is or how strong it is otherwise for technical aspects; it is still an AU58 and CAC might be reading the coin in that way.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭

@tomb; Just curious as i dont know, do you think CAC usually does as you supposed, applies the strict technical definition of Au58, rather than the more recent market grading standard of allowing slight wear in the lower MS grades?

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

So I take it the grade was AU-58.

If so, I do see envelope friction on Ms. Liberty's left breast, hand and hip. As such it's a classic AU-58. Some AU-58s get to migrate to MS-62 now and then, but that's more like a market grade than a technical grade.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

still, a green bean is a good score and au58 is a desirable grade.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    So I take it the grade was AU-58.

If so, I do see envelope friction on Ms. Liberty's left breast, hand and hip. As such it's a classic AU-58. Some AU-58s get to migrate to MS-62 now and then, but that's more like a market grade than a technical grade.

Market grades should be on USDA stickers. ;)

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't get it. People who think a coin should have received a gold sticker. If you think its so good why not send it back in for an upgrade? I can assure you and upgrade will increase the value of a coin before a silly sticker will. I think these stickers are making people go mad.

• Options
    newcollectnewcollect Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

That luster break will kill you every time,looks like it has some rubbing Obv Right field, great looking coin though would like one this nice for my collection.

• Options
    KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 3, 2017 8:34PM

@CommemKing said:
    I don't get it. People who think a coin should have received a gold sticker. If you think its so good why not send it back in for an upgrade? I can assure you and upgrade will increase the value of a coin before a silly sticker will. I think these stickers are making people go mad.

This is not an expensive coin by any means, even in MS-65 ($60-$80). It's just not worth the cost of sending in to be graded - I can't say I didn't think about cracking it out, but at the end of the day it's just a 1942 Walker. A gold CAC sticker just separates the coin from the thousands of other coins in the same grade.

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's still a great coin and with the attributes that is possesses, regardless of sticker color, it is worth a premium relative to its brethren.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the image you can't really see it but the video shows some fairly evident rub on the breast on the right facing side. It is a decent coin with a nice strike and some color

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the golden like sun effect toning seemingly emanating from the sun.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a very nice Walker..... I must assume that the 'sticker chase' is all about selling/profit..... I certainly like that coin and would be very proud of it, even raw. It has very nice luster (one slight break area) and great detail....very little in the way of marks or rub.... for a 75 year old silver coin, that is really very nice. If walking a bourse, and I saw that coin, I would buy it - raw or slabbed....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a common coin that is not worth the expense of the slab and sticker game ... and a game is exactly what it has become.

All glory is fleeting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file