Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

August Pickups

DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

Must be lots of great stuff to post from the big show; looking forward to seeing them. Great reading some of the show-oriented posts today.

I'll consider this a fresh pickup since I was eager to get it into the black holder; gives it pop...

Instagram: mattyc_collection

Comments

• Options

Such a classic card with the red background giving it a more ominous tone. Great card.

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options
    MrVintageMrVintage Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭

@DM23HOF said:
    Must be lots of great stuff to post from the big show; looking forward to seeing them. Great reading some of the show-oriented posts today.

I'll consider this a fresh pickup since I was eager to get it into the black holder; gives it pop...

That is a beautiful card!!!! Presents so much better than the assigned grade. Congrats, Andy

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow Andy

What a great card for a 1.

You did great - congratulations on your pickup buddy.

Mike
  • Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 5, 2019 11:55AM

• Options
    SpinFadeSplash23SpinFadeSplash23 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2, 2017 12:32PM

Thanks for posting!

Joe

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options
    Dand522612Dand522612 Posts: 417 ✭✭✭

Sorry for the double post: Technically a July pick up, however came today.this one has a story. This is the first card I bought from eBay."won it" back in 98. No scan in listing as was commonplace back then. Went to post office and got a postal money order. 2 week hold for personal checks was the typical pre PayPal days. Think I originally spent $45. Traded this exact card over a year ago at a local show as part of a trade/cash for my 53 Mantle. This was probably the one that I had a regret about as it is a blazer. Saw it last week listed by local guy. Worked out a deal for a bit more than I had originally paid, however about equal with my trade last year. Thinking about reviewing but just psyched to have it back, you never forget your first time

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Start this month off with three more for my 70-80 Sabres run. The 4th is a '85 Topps Lemieux that I just got back from a 10 day today too. Its the first time I've seen a new flip in person. Had extra space on the scanner and wanted to see how it did with the new flips. I really like the way they look in hand. The scans don't do the them justice, especially the "light house" PSA on the front and back and its metallic sheen. The lowering of the year/set/name information down from the top red boarder makes them present crisper and neater. Also its nice that they removed the CU NASDAQ advertisement. Much cleaner looking. A+

Kevin

Kevin

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

Nice mario!

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 75 Seaver looks great. Glad you were able to get it back. Good luck if you go for the review.

• Options
    edited August 2, 2017 3:48PM

Love those Sabre cards again. Makes me want to collect some older Panther cards. Picked up a few Ringside cards to upgrade my set. The Aragon PSA 9 is a huge upgrade for me. Also saw a good deal on a nice 86 Fleer Dumars auto.

Joe

• Options
    Indy78Indy78 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

I really like the 1972 Topps baseball design, but the set is too large to be of interest to me to pursue, even in ungraded form. So, instead, I'm picking up graded examples of hofers, stars, and other cards that catch my eye due to being of a recognizable name, having an interesting photo, or being unique to the set issue. My approach is to buy at a grade that in my view, gives me the biggest bang for the buck, or for those mathematicians who read this, generally at a grade that is the inflection point of the cost versus grade (exponential) curve. For this issue, this generally equates to PSA 5-6 for the big name hofers (e.g., Nolan Ryan and Roberto Clemete) and PSA 7-8 for the lesser hofers (e.g., Joe Morgan and Gaylord Perry). I mainly focused on color/clarity and centering. The number grade doesn't matter given that I'm not building the entire registry set. Here are two that just came in the mail the other day. I think they fit nicely into my collection of 1972 Topps cards.

• Options
    Dand522612Dand522612 Posts: 417 ✭✭✭

Nice looking 72 Aaron and Yaz. Centering l to r on the Aaron is dead nuts

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2, 2017 5:32PM

The 72 Yaz and Aaron look great for the grade. The corners and image quality looks as good as most 8's.

• Options
    Indy78Indy78 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the supportive responses, which are appreciated. It's difficult to see, but the tip of the upper right corner of the Yaz is bent, which I believe knocked it down to a 6. The Aaron has a surface indention right along the upper edge above the "V" that I likewise believe dropped it to a 6. Even without the surface issue, though, the Aaron might have received a 7 due to the t/b centering (it's centered a little low by my eye). But I definitely agree with the opinions that the cards nevertheless look great. Thanks again.

• Options
    tbonewillytbonewilly Posts: 424 ✭✭✭

A little different, but this was purchased last night...$19 shipped...I figured at $3 a piece sealed, gotta love them..I have been slowly picking these tins up as I see good deals, they are getting harder to find sealed, nothing real fancy in the cards themselves, but remember busting quite a few and this brings back some fun memories!

Ken - Volunteered to work in Florida Keys, now freezing in Ohio
    Work in progress - Unopened Racks/Cello/Wax with star power for Baseball, Football and Basketball
    Collecting unopened 80's boxes and graded packs
    I may be hoarding too much 80's junk wax but I like it!
  • Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great pickups by all !! I must admit I am jealous of that Ty Cobb, SWEET card!!

Just got these today and opened them up at my desk. Happy with these additions to my collection.

• Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 19, 2017 1:12PM

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

Wow guys ... amazing additions to your collections. ENJOY THEM!

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    TheMickTheMick Posts: 217 ✭✭✭

Lots of nice cards. I picked up a few for my 1969 Topps football collection.

• Options

@Dand522612 said:
    Waited and waited and finally found this one. Can't be more pleased.

In the world of 68Ts - that's about as nice a centering as I've seen!

Congratulations on a really nice pickup.

Mike
  • Options
    tbonewillytbonewilly Posts: 424 ✭✭✭

@tbonewilly said:
    A little different, but this was purchased last night...$19 shipped...I figured at $3 a piece sealed, gotta love them..I have been slowly picking these tins up as I see good deals, they are getting harder to find sealed, nothing real fancy in the cards themselves, but remember busting quite a few and this brings back some fun memories!

Sorry, forgot about this one, always good when there is a Ryan around, especially on top of a pack

Ken - Volunteered to work in Florida Keys, now freezing in Ohio
    Work in progress - Unopened Racks/Cello/Wax with star power for Baseball, Football and Basketball
    Collecting unopened 80's boxes and graded packs
    I may be hoarding too much 80's junk wax but I like it!
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 68' Topps Milton Bradley Ryan rookie is a beauty. :+1::+1::+1::+1:

Congrats on that nice score.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 3, 2017 3:51PM

A few additions to my Dallas Cowboys collection that arrived a couple days ago.

Shame that Topps air brushed the logos from the helmets. This is the only Lilly base card that is a game shot. Great picture with Chuck Howley also pictured.

• Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭

@tbonewilly said:

I was disappointed that I forgot to bid on these, but cool to know someone here will enjoy them.

Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭

Nothing better than period signatures! Beautiful! While 1990 is a little easier than 1955, I just got this guy in:

Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    muffinsmuffins Posts: 469 ✭✭✭
    edited August 3, 2017 4:28PM

and found my third 1981 coca-cola #1 ryan card for only $2 at the national while flipping thru a stack of "common" ryan cards.

i actually laughed out loud when i flipped it over and saw "1". also snagged another pacific snowflake ryan for $4.

(story is still incomplete on the #1 vs #9)

took me years to track down this semi-whale and then naturally less than 3 months to find two more.

• Options
    edited August 4, 2017 1:53AM

@Dand522612 said:
    Waited and waited and finally found this one. Can't be more pleased.

Had to quote that card; outstanding Ryan, just beautiful.

Many thanks re: Cobb.

After getting the Red Thunder (Clint Frazier) in Refractor and seeing how nice the finish looked in hand, wanted to upgrade my white Judge to Refractor as well...

• Options
    Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

@DM23HOF said:

Matt,
    Gorgeous Cobb. How is that only a 1? Paper loss?

Brian

• Options
    momo1234momo1234 Posts: 349 ✭✭✭

Matt,
    Gorgeous Cobb. How is that only a 1? Paper loss?

Brian

Agreed...how is that a 1? looks a lot nicer to me.

• Options
    edited August 4, 2017 7:52AM

Many thanks, guys. On vacay overseas and rest assured there is no one to speak English with here, let alone baseball or cards, LOL.

There is a pinhole in the front right quadrant of the card-- in hand it strikes the eye more as a dot; on the reverse it is more apparent as a pinhole. There is also slight crease in lower right front border area.

It pairs perfectly for side-by-side presentation with its "brother card", which is a 1915, yet an even better looking front for a '1.' Front on this is more like an 8, lol. The back on this one does have the damage which necessitates the technical grade.

The cherry on top for both CJs is they exhibit just enough of the Caramel staining I like, which serves as sort of a badge that proves they were cards that came out of the candy box. While all 1914s initially came out of the candy boxes, there was a large grouping of 1914 Cobbs I believe that were found after the fact— totally legit cards yet they weren't in the boxes. The 1915s were of course available via the candy and also via send away/redemption.

This Shoeless is tied for my favorite card in my whole collection; as I understand it was housed in a scrapbook for ages, which perfectly preserved its shape and deep, rich color. Total freak.

• Options

pinhole.

• Options
    clarke442clarke442 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LOTSOS said:
    Start this month off with three more for my 70-80 Sabres run.

More OPC 10's !
    Very Nice !

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

Nice mario! And nice 72s!

• Options

@DM23HOF said:

Beautiful Card, Good Sir!

• Options
    edited August 4, 2017 2:54PM

2012 Detroit WS Press Pin

I can see why this one is not popular - not very attractive IMO.

Was only 20 bucks - so what the heck.

Mike
  • Options

Couple of upgrades

• Options

nice upgrades! gonna be harder to upgrade again w those examples. :)

if you have an extra signed catfish rc card, please keep me in mind. one of the last cards i need to complete the signed hof rc run.

• Options

Sorry I've yet to get one. I missed out on 2 buy it now over the years.

• Options
    ToneDToneD Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

That's one sweet Cobby Matt. Congrats!!

Love the diversity displayed here. That's what this hobby is all about. There's something for everyone to enjoy in there own unique way.

Glad to snag this one. Another high eye appeal lower grade.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 24, 2023 4:08AM

Great card at a great price from gaspipe26!

• Options
    edited August 11, 2017 7:02AM

Gorgeous Guidry. Love those old school Yanks.

Joe

• Options
    TheMickTheMick Posts: 217 ✭✭✭

I've been looking for a good Len Dawson for some time now and I finally found one. The 1969 football cards are notorious for white spots on the card. this one has none.

• Options

Got a redemption auto and bonus card from Topps.

Mike
  • Options

Chipping away at the set.

Joe

• Options

Geez Joe - that's an exceptional card buddy!

Mike
  • Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ever since I traded away my PSA 9 McGwire to someone else, I actually wanted another one so I just got this to add back to my collection. Also picked up a PSA 10 1991 Topps Chipper Jones RC.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spin,

That card is gorgeous. I never noticed the 51 Ringside set before I saw them in your posts. They are such a well done set. Makes me very jealous to be quite honest. I think hockey fans where robbed in 1951. The 51 Parkies are such a fabled set for Hockey. Unfortunately the art work isn't all that great. And that would be very apparent if you set these two sets side by side.

Congrats,
    Kevin

Kevin