Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1933 Double Eagle Display

NumivenNumiven Posts: 377 ✭✭✭

Enjoy!

Acting Deputy Director David Motl today announced that the United States Mint will display two of the ten 1933 Double Eagle Coins recovered by the government in 2004 that were the subject of 11 years of litigation, which was recently resolved in favor of the Government, at the American Numismatic Association World’s Fair of Money in Denver, Colorado, from August 1 to August 5.

https://www.usmint.gov/news/press-releases/mint-to-display-1933-double-eagles-at-ana-worlds-fair-of-money?

Numismatics & Photography
rv@ravenumismatics.com
Instagram.com/coin2photo

Comments

• Options
    PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭

I'd much rather see AND hold an 1907 HR.

• Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭

"If they are not legal to own then who cares. They should just melt them or give them back."

↑This ↑. I could not agree more.

They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am excited to see them, now that the government possesses them!

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JJSingleton said:
    I have no interest in seeing these objects. If they are not legal to own then who cares. They should just melt them or give them back. Parading them around shows no class.

The government believes in its position. I think they're wrong, but sharing the coins is still a classy act.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

It hasn't been that long since they displayed all 10.......

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Mint should sell raffle tickets and randomly award them to winning ticket holders.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not think they should melt them.... I also think they were legitimately obtained... They are part of numismatic history though, and, as such, should be preserved and periodically, displayed. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

Big brother to big bully to big deal. We are broke.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said: "They should send those things to Fort Knox and melt them."

I disagree. IMO, any "true" numismatist with this attitude is, well... Now think this out Bill as you ARE a numismatist!

Those coins are part of history and what has happened to them - both good and bad - is now one more story. I fault the family for losing them to the government.

@PRECIOUSMENTAL said: "I'd much rather see AND hold an 1907 HR."

I've held one long ago at the SI. On he same day, I held an EXHR $20 - unforgettable and no comparison. A Pan Pac slug in Unc also beats the "common looking" 1933 Saint. The heft and shape of the slug makes you want to skip it across a smooth lake! At least that was my first thought after getting over its weight and beauty. You don't want to know what my second thought was...I never could have pulled it off. :blush:

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

A slug would not "skip across a smooth lake" for long; it's too heavy.

There is a story, perhaps an urban legend, that one of the owners of a 1933 double eagle threw it in the ocean rather than give it up to the government.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sorry to disagree with the position of the government and any subsequent charade or parade of these numismatic treasures by any person representing my government.
    Lock them up and throw away the key, or give them to the Langbord family. Israel Switt didn't steal them, and all those that did get minted and released... we will Never know . We do know that this case set a precedent. Class is in session (no pun intended). Researchers search for the truth. So should lawmen.

• Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

Sell them to Dan Carr so that he can make them into some other fantasy coin.

Paul
  • Options

Oh no Bill,

Looks like I did a partial switch in opinion.

@pmac said: "Sell them to Dan Carr so that he can make them into some other fantasy coin."

GREAT IDEA! Melt one and send him the gold to mix into a batch of Carr/Mint/Open design contest gold replicas. Pay Carr for design and striking them, Government and family share rest of profit.

• Options
    JazzmanJABJazzmanJAB Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭✭

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Langbord decision is the 1st foot in the door for potential "recovery" of ANY coin that "may" have left the mint without their full faith and blessing.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

Well, IMO they should have tried to "recover" ONLY one!

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    Well, IMO they should have tried to "recover" ONLY one!

That strategy would not have worked. Government wants everything.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    RB1026RB1026 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭✭

Sick and tired of these "non-coins". I have zero interest in seeing them. They are worthless to me beyond being conversation pieces at this point. Since they are apparently illegal to own, they should indeed be melted and the gold value be applied to the national debt. (LOL - Like that's going to happen!)

• Options

@BillJones said: "That strategy would not have worked. Government wants everything."

Think this one out also...

The government may want everything but the other 9 don't exist. Get it?

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

There is a story, perhaps an urban legend, that one of the owners of a 1933 double eagle threw it in the ocean rather than give it up to the government.

@BillJones said:

>
    Never heard that one.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JJSingleton said:
    I have no interest in seeing these objects. If they are not legal to own then who cares. They should just melt them or give them back. Parading them around shows no class.

This, if the American people cannot own one, they do not exist in my mind.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2017 5:13PM

@AUandAG said:

@JJSingleton said:

bob

I agree, If 99.99% of the American people will never own or touch an 1804 dollar, and all the other coins like it, then they don't exist either. LOL. I took a trip to the National Portrait Gallery and the walls were empty as all the paintings were not there either. Seems like a narrow minded opinion but of course your opinion is valid.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coins and Art are made for the enjoyment or use of the people. The Gov't has proven that this coin is not legal to own. Why display it? If there were only ten or in the case of the 1804 dollar, less than ten and really expensive, then that is a completely different scenario.

bobl;)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

Read a short article in Coin World about why coins like these don't have some type of statue of limitations about owning them. It makes a lot of sense to have a statute of limitations making enforcement a non issue after a certain amount of time. We do it for serious crimes why not for coins. Further, the longer period of time from the "illegal" act, the more likely that someone innocent will be adversely impacted through no fault of their own.

• Options
    jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2019 10:02AM

@Gazes said:
    Read a short article in Coin World about why coins like these don't have some type of statue of limitations about owning them. It makes a lot of sense to have a statute of limitations making enforcement a non issue after a certain amount of time. We do it for serious crimes why not for coins. Further, the longer period of time from the "illegal" act, the more likely that someone innocent will be adversely impacted through no fault of their own.

I am not a lawyer, but in the case of "statute of limitations", I would imagine that would shield the culprit from prosecution, but any ill-received gains from the crime would still be subject to "clawback".

• Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2019 10:10AM

If the sheer majority were melted and that was supposed to be the fate of them.. give a couple more to the Smithsonian and melt the rest. Done. Now they are museum pieces in the hands of our govt/people and anyone interested can view them at a museum. Not a traveling road show for coin shows displaying coins that were supposed to have been destroyed. It seems to be a final proper ending to the whole mess.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry, not interested in seeing them !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    EdtheloraxEdthelorax Posts: 229 ✭✭✭

Why don't they go after the 1913 Liberty Nickles if that is the case?

http://www.silverstocker.com
    Anyone can PM me Any Time about Any thing.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:

@JJSingleton said:

bob

According to the Mint, the "American people" own all ten! :D

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think they should have been seized. Our government screws up all sorts of stuff. These coins are going to end up in that huge warehouse at Area 51. Or they should each be on permanent exhibit across the country in various museums for we the people to see.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2019 6:27AM

Whereas: The government was criminally negligent in destroying beautiful objects of significant national interest after we the people had them created.

Whereas: The items in question also had intrinsic value that was seized unlawfully.

Whereas: The patriotic action of the person responsible for preserving these specimens was never given proper credit & instead was slandered.

So I'm not buying any of your mint crap until the American people are given their coins back with an apology.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file