Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Enhanced Uncirculated Set going on sale tomorrow... winner or loser?

georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

limited to 250,000 sets

Comments

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll pass. More modern junk from the mint....I have been wrong before.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Far too many one-offs and low mintage issues.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some new wares that never wear out for the hobbyists and collectors. Then again, there could be 200,000 flippers flipping to 25,000 dealers who found another reason to drink.

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Winner for me, for my collection.

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

More junk!

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2017 2:16PM

225,000 mintage but no HH limit could translate to a quick sellout and a nice opportunity for flipping.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

What parts are enhanced? Is this like numismatic plastic surgery or botox for Miss Liberty; or maybe those silicone implant thingies?

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

My problem is I buy a few of these things but then don't flip (except for the 5 piece SE set and the March of Dimes set, and a RP Pres. dollar or two - all those were good to me).

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

They may be hot for a short while, but then the bottom wil fall out.
    No real support in the long run.
    Wait a year or two and buy them at under mint Issue.

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭✭

the high mintage and the unlimited household limit scare me. No need for the retailers to purchase from public as they could probably buy as many as they need. However still tempting, havent decided to pull the triger or not

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

The Mint flippin to flippers. Who will the flippers flip to? More clad junk that no one really wants.

• Options

Where is Wondercoin these days anyway?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will definitely not be a buyer.... It took me a while (years actually) to realize these are not bargains and just sit forever. Sure, there is the occasional 'special' that will pop up... but mostly just another item that fights for storage space. I do not even keep those many years of accumulation in a safe... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭✭

Winner or loser, I don't want to spend the money on it. The mintage of 250,000 is high to hold its value over the long term. To me it's just gimmick, and I'm tired of mint gimmicks.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two possible winners from the set:

Lincoln cent, less than half the mintage of the 1909-S VDB.
    Kennedy half, the 2014-S "enhanced" silver Kennedy with a similar mintage is fetching about $20.

If these were regular instead of "enhanced" uncirculated coins the set might actually be worth more. As it stands, the set's value may depend on how many collectors feel the need to add these coins to their uncirculated sets.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭

Sold out really quick is looks like.

Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Winner.

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ECHOES said:
    Winner.

Indeed..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

Where is Wondercoin these days anyway?

• Options
    Some_of_itSome_of_it Posts: 111 ✭✭✭

Have not seen quality photos of these coins posted yet. Has anyone?

• Options
    FallGuyFallGuy Posts: 207 ✭✭✭

@PTVETTER said:
    They may be hot for a short while, but then the bottom wil fall out.
    No real support in the long run.
    Wait a year or two and buy them at under mint Issue.

+1. IMHO @PTVETTER nailed it.

Despite the very fast sellout, I believe the mintage still exceeds the market for any long-term demand. I say that as one who thinks it's a pretty neat set.

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

Winner.

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2, 2017 3:42AM

I think they will be a short term winner.
    I was able to order 2 sets, I just wanted them for the Lincoln cent.

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options

@FallGuy said:
    Despite the very fast sellout, I believe the mintage still exceeds the market for any long-term demand. I say that as one who thinks it's a pretty neat set.

I would agree if there were regular S-mint circulation strikes available for this date, but except for the quarters there are not. So you will have Anniversary Set collectors competing with date/mm collectors for these coins, and that means that more and more sets will be broken up over the years to satisfy the demand for individual coins. I suspect the long-term demand for the lowest-mintage-ever Lincoln cent by itself will be enough to maintain healthy demand for the anniversary set.

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭✭

OP... I was enjoying Spain in July celebrating (35) years with my wife.

While long term these sets could be a popular collectible, in the short run just a relatively small group of dealers appear to control a sizeable percentage of the available sets on the market. As a consequence, it appears prices are softening - at least certainly on eBay. I know my son, Justin, is content netting as little as about $6/set profit on eBay right now in order to stay highly competitive with some of the other discount sellers. And that is just two days into it! If things get more "cut throat" over the next week or two, the profits might literally be down to a couple dollars per set in no time. But, of course, prices could strengthen if some of the dealers are comfortable hanging on to the sets for a while. It may get interesting soon.

As always, just my two cents.

Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

Welcome back.

I bought a few sets for my collection and some extras to sell or trade down the road. Considering that (except for the quarters) these are very low-mintage date/mm examples of our current coinage, I don’t plan to sell any sets until prices are a bit higher than today’s “quick flip” bargains.

• Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nah, I don't flip or give a flip about modern Mint offerings anymore.

I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisnamztaken said:

Phew. Thank goodness you cleared that up

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2017 7:16PM

Disregarding proofs, here is what you get when you purchase a 225th Anniversary Set.

Cent: Lowest date/mm mintage Lincoln ever, less than half the mintage of the 1909-S VDB.
    Nickel: Lowest date/mm mintage ever, less than 1/10 the mintage of the 1950-D.
    Dime: Lowest date/mm mintage ever, less than 1/6 the mintage of the 1996-W (itself a special Mint product which sells for $10 to $12).
    Quarter: Regular 2017-S circulation-quality quarters are available from the Mint in rolls and bags, so the only thing special is the “enhanced” finish.
    Half dollar: Mintage is comparable to that of the 2014 four-coin silver set, which sells for around $115.
    Dollar: Third lowest date/mm mintage for the Sacagawea/Native American dollar, behind those in the 2015 and 2016 Coin and Currency sets.

At today’s prices, I consider this to be the most reasonably priced “trophy set” on the market.

• Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MilesWaits said:

@thisnamztaken said:

Phew. Thank goodness you cleared that up

My pleasure, Miles. Glad to be of help! :wink:

I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

With unlimited ordering I can't see why anyone would buy the bulk sales on Ebay. These are already dropping in price and the massive listings haven't even hit yet.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file