Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My first trip out in 3 month's to downtown, lunch and a rare coin

coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 30, 2017 4:41PM in U.S. Coin Forum

As most know here I received my third chance in life...... 3 month's ago I received my second kidney transplant.
Enough time has past where it is generally safe to be out in public and not be at risk of infection. We drove to downtown Los Angeles. Most stores on Hill street is closed on Sundays but Broadway is generally open.

I couldn't believe the old Broadway Arcade Building has been turned around and has fabulous restaurants inside.
Over the last few decades it was reduced to small kiosks selling everything from audio equipment to clothes. It became
very run down but you can see how beautiful it once was. Broadway is the Theater district.....just like New York but where NY has been revived. LA never did make its comeback.

Well I am thrilled to say LA has changed for the better. Over the last several years they are bringing life back into downtown. And, the Old Broadway Arcade Building is only one example.

Cliftons has been renovated and brought back to its former glory too! Its just Wonderfull.
Up and down Broadway and Hill street still has the jewelry and silver/gold bullion with the occasional coins for sale.
I did find a few raw 1904 $20 Gold coins that were uncirculated and not from jewelry either but they wanted slabbed prices
so I passed on them.

I did find however and very rare 1885-O Morgan pigs old green label holder MS64 :p
Scroll to the bottom to see it :D

Anyways....we had lunch inside the old Broadway arcade in a French restaurant, very quaint, great service and good food.
After which we walked around some more and saw the restored Clifton's Cafeteria. They did a marvelous job bringing it back.
So we sat down and split a New York style cheesecake.

On the way back to the car I saw this slab and coin pictured and though its so rare......."as the seller was telling me" :D
I just had to splurge for $1

For those of you in the area and haven't come here in a while, you need to comeback and enjoy the day eating and walking around. A great time awaits you!.

The Old Broadway Arcade Building from the outside.

.Inside where we sat and ate and the French restaurant.

A view down the street show the Theatre District

The Old Roxie Theatre, yes there is one in San Fran but we had one too......Dean Martin And Frank Sinatra sang there.

Clifton's Cafeteria .....what a great job they did, they were explaining to me what they did and that they reopened in 2014
.A link if you want to see the "Cabinet of Oddities"

Some inside shots.

And now the "Rare Coin"......such a deal at $1
Sorry, My fiancé's hands, nails are a bit dirty from work as he still likes todo electrical.

Thanks for putting up with my story and crazy posted coin, but I just thought even though downtown is so much better....they still have the unsavory coin dealers with bullion at 3 times spot too. Some things remain constant.....lol

Comments

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a fun day. Great pictures. Glad you are out and about. That must feel great.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad you are out and about and all is well. Your doctor is keeping up with the artificial kidney progress, right?

bob:)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cheesecake?....take it easy with the sweets. ;)

• Options

@AUandAG said:
    Glad you are out and about and all is well. Your doctor is keeping up with the artificial kidney progress, right?

bob:)

Thanks Bob, I still go to the transplant center at cedars Sinai for checkups once a week. Everything has
    been going perfect. I'm healthy and no rejections! The Donar is doing very well too.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope you are feeling great... Thanks for sharing the pictures. LA had several great architectural wonders. I like the Wiltern Theatre, the old Bullock's Wilshire Dept store and I suspect the old Robinson's that was on 7th and Grand is likely not there anymore. And there was the Bradbury Building... I believe parts of Double Indemnity were filmed there.

I did like the LA County Library too... I remember that it sustained fire damage about 30 years ago... May have even been longer.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:
    Cheesecake?....take it easy with the sweets. ;)

lol.....;-) My fiancé ate the majority and I had a small fork full. First sweets I had in over a year and thank goodness I am
    not addicted to such things :smile:
    And thank you for looking out for me. It's true to watch the sugars as they did manage to bruise the Donar's kidney before getting it in me so I was on very high dosages of steroids. They had me on insulin for almost a week and my sugars went crazy. Now it's almost back to normal and I walk between 3-4 miles a day.

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is that coin and slab a Chinese import?

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin and great post. Good to see you out and about again!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

@djm said:
    Is that coin and slab a Chinese import?

No, both are real. The areas that he is holding are actually when the slab was cracked out and it's a real clad coin.

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2017 6:05PM

Either President Eisenhower just pulled a Hudini on us or this is the RARE "Milkman got caught in lady's chamber" variety.

• Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best of luck with the new kidney, continue to savor every day and thanks for the interesting post.

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Stef!

Fiancées fingernails? No problem. I think all of our fingernails and toenails were dirty when you guys did my house inspection. You and my geologist saved my bacon : )

So happy to hear you are out and about. DT LA has made a nice turn around and the future is brighter and not blighter. Who knows we might run into each other at Cedars. I'm having a battery of test done myself.

All the best
    m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

Steph - Glad you're out and about again. Serious money has been put into downtown LA for the last eight years or so. My wife worked around 7th and Grand and she told me about places over there being rebuilt into expensive lofts (and yes, people are buying / renting them). Grocery shopping has gotten upscale in a major way over there, and so have eating establishments. People actually go downtown at night, again.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2017 6:25PM

I'm relieved and glad to hear you are good enough to get up and around!

The coin was a lot of laughs too! I had to do a double-take on that one.

It's good to hear downtown LA is improving as well. A couple of favorites include Perch and 71 Above.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like a great day and a much deserved fun outing, congrats! That coin in that holder would command a LOT MORE than $1! That is an awesome find. Glad your health is improving. :)

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like it was a great day out!

• Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

Don't know you but am happy to hear you are healing and doing well with the transplant.
    Our lives are so very short and precious.
    Each day is special.

Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the post - so glad to hear you're doing well, recovering and out/about!

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome. Best post of the week, if not, the month! So happy things are going well!

PS Sweet dollar, or whatever it is!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad you are doing well! Thanks for the report! Good grab on the slab!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

So glad you are doing well. I did not know that you were having health problems again.

Stay well Stef. :)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great to see you are out and about Stef... Glad that things are going so well. Great coin find.... I would have purchased that one as well.... would not be able to pass up that one... :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad to hear you are doing well, and thanks for posting.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options

Thank you everyone for the nice well wishes. I plan on exploring downtown
    more so I may post some of my adventures.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stef. Thanks for the update and sharing the good news! God is good.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a great story and brought a smile to my face.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file