Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How does one value a chopmarked early dollar?

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

I want the coin but don't want to get buried pricewise. Typically I figure value is a grade lower than stated details on modest problem coins. Scratching my head on this one.

http://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/478865/1796-Draped-Bust-Silver-Dollar-B-4-BB-61-Chop-Mark-Small-Date-Large-Letters-PCGS-Genuine-VF-

Comments

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

To the right person, it's worth more than an unchopped coin

• Options

Thanks, Bruce.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

Figure at what number you would say I guess I really did not want it that bad, and then bid that (net after buyer's fee of course).

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMHO, I would carefully ask myself if that is a Chinese symbol of some sort, or whether or not it is is just damage or some other imperfection. Chop marks are like weeds or bugs or bad luck - it is odd to just encounter a single chopmark.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

also rev rim damage....value depends on the buyer and interest in die varieties.

• Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭

Based on the photo, the Chinese character is not identified-able. This is uncommon to typical chop marks.

If you know the history of chop mark coins, all chop marks should be read-able that the shop that put the chop mark onto the coin needs to take responsibility to guarantee its weight, silver content. In other words, last shop that put chop on must accept the coin if the coin circulated back to its shop. In this case, do you think un-read-able chop is acceptable in China at the time, especially, this is the very first chop.

an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options

Great advice. I am all in as high bidder. I'll sit back and watch.

• Options

I got beat by several increments. Thanks for the really good advice.

• Options

I normally don't disclose private messages but one guy said "plastics" and another whispered "Rosebud".

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

You're a fine young man, Benjamin.

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

I heard of someone who was considering putting in a couple of bids knowing there was going to be a Statue of Liberty bidder.

• Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love that coin, processed like most. Maybe filed and staple scratched but don't see what a fake chopmark would hide.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2017 7:08PM

And do you know that the chop was done long ago and only several years ago? If recent, it would not mean much, would it? It would only be post mint damage.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2017 6:58PM

@afford said:

@Coinstartled said:
    I normally don't disclose private messages but one guy said "plastics" and another whispered "Rosebud".

I don't know what that means but if you asked me I would tell you that TDN's advice was sound and many chop mark collectors will use pcgs price guide for the grade and add or subtract from there depending on how many chops, eye appeal, cleaning, rarity, if in a holder etc etc. PCGS PG for the year 1796 in VF30 is $6500. In this particular case I expected it to hit $10k because it is unique or near unique i.e. since I know of no other 1796 $1 other than one 1796 that was reported over 10 years ago int he Chopmark Newsletter. It could be that one or this could be the second known one.
    Either way the final price was a steal imho.

>

Your comments are fair and should have been stated earlier without trying to set a trap.

I was outbid before posting and consulted with the forum for guidance. I had bid a comfortable price for a so called problem coin of that level. I was also aware that non trade dollars with chop marks can carry a premium. Based on TDN's comments I raised my bid. I was not in the market for a rip or a steal but a classic early Dollar with an interesting twist. Another bidder won it and congratulations to them if it is in fact worth $10,000.

• Options
    edited July 30, 2017 7:25PM

@afford said:
    $10k was only my personal opinion. I am not equipped to know more than the true chop mark ole time collectors. Sorry you lost, but you need to learn more for the next time, and there will be a next time

I'll see if Montessori can help.

• Options

I liked the response better Glicker where you were talking about the five million in coins you have sold. Why did you edit?

If you ever need a coin fixed up, topstuf can help.

• Options
    TLeverageTLeverage Posts: 259 ✭✭✭

For those wondering, the final price was $3988.88, with 55 bids received. I believed the coin was interesting as a type, being the earliest U.S. coin that I have seen with a chop mark, and the only Draped Bust, Small Eagle Reverse, but was disappointed that it only bore a single, incomplete mark, and didn't have great eye appeal. Still, an interesting coin and I hope the buyer enjoys it.

• Options

@HappyLittleTrees said:
    I liked the response better Glicker where you were talking about the five million in coins you have sold. Why did you edit?

Carrying over hurt feelings from the OFR? Buy a nice DCarr coin and you will feel better.

• Options
    edited July 31, 2017 12:58AM

Afford....did you take the time to use GC;s enlargement feature?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chop marked coins usually have a special market segment.... some love them, all the others avoid them. A strange form of PMD that is, in many cases, desirable. To each, his own... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would agree 4K is a deal for a chopped early dollar so one needs to ask why the other deep pocket chop collectors backed off?

• Options

@afford said:

FYI for most chop mark collectors one chop mark is choice and whether this is a partial chop or not an inspection in hand is needed since the photo sucks. As far as eye appeal is concerned I personally feel the coin has wonderful eye appeal but can one really expect "great eye appeal" on a unique or near unique specimen?

On a Trade Dollar, whose sole intended purpose as a circulating coin was to be used in the China trade, I would prefer a single, interesting, well-placed chop, and a few conventional character chops to provide provenance. On a unique host coin that is otherwise unknown with chops, I'd consider several marks that further support the coin's circulation in China to be more attractive.

• Options
    edited July 31, 2017 6:46AM

@TLeverage said:

@afford said:

On a unique host coin that is otherwise unknown with chops, I'd consider several marks that further support the coin's circulation in China to be more attractive.

On a unique host coin that is otherwise unknown with chops, I'd consider several marks that further support the coin's circulation in China to be more attractive.

A Manchurian CAC if you will.

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2017 8:29AM

I was the second underbidder and felt the coin ended a touch higher than I expected, but not out of line. As a collector of chopmarked coins by type, this coin was a perfect fit for my set. Although, the nice thing about the chopped type collection is that it's pretty open-ended, I don't HAVE TO have any one particular coin, and there are so many different types that I won't really run out of coins to pursue for a long time.

Here are my thoughts on the coin. If you bought the coin, don't take this as criticism, more like reasons I saved you money. Had the coin been different than what I outline below I would have gone much higher with my bids.

• Judging by pictures only, the coin looked like it had been stored in a hostile environment and toned dark nearing black. Negative eye appeal.
    • There appeared to be many hairlines, appearing as if someone used their thumb to remove some of that black tone.
    • Only one reverse chop, with the character not being complete.
    • No history documented for where the coin came from (I always appreciate this, but don't always get this when I buy chopped coins. Helps give me warm fuzzies that the chop is legit period and not from someone's garage in the 80's)

I do believe the chop was a legitimate Chinese chop based on looking at many, many legit Chinese Chops, but with the four strikes above I personally didn't feel it was one to stretch for. I've researched a lot of past auctions featuring trade/chopped coins and I've never run across a sale of this type, with chopmarks. Possibly unique so despite the flaws above, I may regret not stretching more. Congrats to the winner.

• Options

@afford said:

Two questions for you and others here including Coinstartled:
    What do you feel about PCGS' opinion in calling it a legit chop mark? Is their opinion in this particular genre worth anything, same with NGC?
    I have a 1798 Bust Dollar in a PCGS chop mark vf details holder or maybe Fine holder, I can't remember, it too only has one chop mark. I also have a 1813 Capped Bust half Dollar in a PCGS chop mark holder with only one chop mark. Often Seated Half Liberty dollars seem to have only one chop and the few Seated Liberty Dollars that I have seen also only have one chop mark. I would like you guys to comment if you can on these points.

I do believe the mark on the coin in question to be a legitimate character chop, and I have seen several examples of legitimate chopmarked coins with a single chop, but whenever I see a particularly esoteric example with one chop, I tend to treat it with a grain of salt. Even with the mark being incomplete, this is still a particularly rare and interesting issue to find with a chop, and therefore important.

Tylically, I use my own judgement over any TPG in determining whether or not a claimed chop mark is in fact genuine, misattributed damage or an intentional forgery. Known details/markers, as on counterstamps and their corresponding Pridmore plate matches, cannot be applied to chops. Additionally, I differ with both grading services in their attribution of all drill marked coins as damaged; in my opinion, these served an identical purpose and oroginated from the same source, so should be considered a form of chop. Apart from that, I have seen a few scattered examples of PCGS coins in 'Chop Mark' holders, who exhibited counterstamps instead (Heritage had an example of an Oak Tree piece earlier this year fitting this description). The distinction does not seem entirely clear to them.

As to your other coins bearing single chops, I cannot provide my opinion without seeing them, but exhibiting just one chop certainly does not mean it is inauthentic.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

I felt more comfortable with chopmarks as an interesting part of a coin’s history back in the days when chopmarks reduced the value of a coin. We seem to have entered an era when they increase the value, and with all due respect I feel that some collectors are being a bit naive.

As I see it, the same scrutiny that is applied to counterstamps must be applied to chopmarks, but it is more difficult since the chop is a single character. The questions I would have are:

1) Is the chop a valid symbol for a particular merchant (or is it a random Chinese character)?
    2) Is the chop an authentic mark from that merchant (or a copy/counterfeit)?
    3) Was the chop applied during the appropriate time period (even if it is a valid punch from an actual merchant, was it applied recently)?

Many collectors study wear patterns etc. to satisfy themselves on point #3, but how many are knowledgeable enough to answer #1, much less #2? In the case of an incomplete chop, how can #1 and #2 possibly be answered?

I think I have a chopmarked 8 reales somewhere, and I wish I had collected more chopped coins back before they became popular. They are full of history and worth collecting, but if they now add value I expect that authenticity will become an issue (if it has not happened already).

• Options

@afford said:

Good stuff and I whole heartedly agree if that means anything;)
    Btw an you provide a link to that Oak Tree piece that you write about. I would be most interested in seeing/reading about it and it would be nice if included in this discussion.

Having trouble with links, but an image is attached. Check the Heritage records for early this year.

@JBK, your concerns are certainly valid, and one of the reasons that many many chop mark collectors (including myself) have an inherent distrust of new "rarities" entering the market, as well as the reason behind the appeal of coins from old, published collections, such the Rose and Walls sets. Also why I choose to focus mostly on U.S. Trade Dollars, given that chopped examples still trade at a fairly substantial discount.

What I'm both excited and concerned about is the Chinese market for chopmarked coins. In China, chopped coins have always been treated as damaged, but given their substantial historical value, I believe one day they will become popular among the Chinese themselves (look at the premium early U.S.-marked foreign gold brings). When that day comes, prices will likely rise substantially, especially for the unusual pieces, but the market will become flooded with fakes, which is why it is important that current collectors document their sets, for the benefit of future chop mark collectors.

• Options
    edited July 31, 2017 11:36AM

@afford said:
    Since this piece is unique or near unique to be fair since of what I mentioned above expecting an eye appealing, uncleaned 1796 with multiple complete chops is unrealistic. If you only have one example surfacing you can't be picky. That being said I think the coin is beautifully, I think it is conservatively graded, with enormous eye appeal (for what it is of course) and 100% legit. That being said I am NO Chop expert but I do have some experience and have mentors and info that allows me to feel confident with regards to this one and I am typically highly skeptical of fakes.

Hey realone, if you like it then you should enjoy it. Don't let me rain on your parade, seriously.

As a footnote, it should be noted, that PCGS will typically only list a single problem, even if the coin has multiple problems. In my experience, they will list "Chopmark" (which is given the code number for "damage") and leave it at that, even if the coin is ALSO blatantly cleaned, artificially toned, etc. I wouldn't want anyone to get the wrong idea based on your comments about this coin.

• Options

@JBK said:
    I felt more comfortable with chopmarks as an interesting part of a coin’s history back in the days when chopmarks reduced the value of a coin. We seem to have entered an era when they increase the value, and with all due respect I feel that some collectors are being a bit naive.

As I see it, the same scrutiny that is applied to counterstamps must be applied to chopmarks, but it is more difficult since the chop is a single character. The questions I would have are:

1) Is the chop a valid symbol for a particular merchant (or is it a random Chinese character)?
    2) Is the chop an authentic mark from that merchant (or a copy/counterfeit)?
    3) Was the chop applied during the appropriate time period (even if it is a valid punch from an actual merchant, was it applied recently)?

Many collectors study wear patterns etc. to satisfy themselves on point #3, but how many are knowledgeable enough to answer #1, much less #2? In the case of an incomplete chop, how can #1 and #2 possibly be answered?

I think I have a chopmarked 8 reales somewhere, and I wish I had collected more chopped coins back before they became popular. They are full of history and worth collecting, but if they now add value I expect that authenticity will become an issue (if it has not happened already).

Well put, and this is why I've upped my game in tracking down the history of the chopmarked coins I collect. I'm fortunate enough to have a few coins from the Frank Rose collection and documentation to prove it. Frank wrote the original book on Chopmark coin collecting and as a merchant marine brought a bunch of them back from China etc. himself back in the 50-60's. I'm more leery of some of the recent stuff that's been showing up at auctions.

• Options

@afford said:

@TLeverage said:

@afford said:

FYI for most chop mark collectors one chop mark is choice and whether this is a partial chop or not an inspection in hand is needed since the photo sucks. As far as eye appeal is concerned I personally feel the coin has wonderful eye appeal but can one really expect "great eye appeal" on a unique or near unique specimen?

On a Trade Dollar, whose sole intended purpose as a circulating coin was to be used in the China trade, I would prefer a single, interesting, well-placed chop, and a few conventional character chops to provide provenance. On a unique host coin that is otherwise unknown with chops, I'd consider several marks that further support the coin's circulation in China to be more attractive.

Two questions for you and others here including Coinstartled:
    What do you feel about PCGS' opinion in calling it a legit chop mark? Is their opinion in this particular genre worth anything, same with NGC?
    I have a 1798 Bust Dollar in a PCGS chop mark vf details holder or maybe Fine holder, I can't remember, it too only has one chop mark. I also have a 1813 Capped Bust half Dollar in a PCGS chop mark holder with only one chop mark. Often Seated Half Liberty dollars seem to have only one chop and the few Seated Liberty Dollars that I have seen also only have one chop mark. I would like you guys to comment if you can on these points.

When I initially bid on the coin I considered the PCGS opinion valid. After being outbid I was hesitant to bring an active auction to the forum as that is frowned upon by many but as I had serious interest in the coin and would not have bid higher without some opinions, I started the thread. I value TDN's opinion highly but also noted the concerns of other regular posters and bid a higher but comfortable figure that was outbid handily in the last 5 minutes.

I would value the coin similarly if the opportunity once again presented itself.

• Options

@afford said:
    Thanks TL,
    what did it end up selling for.
    BTW where is the chop mark........are you saying the counterstamped D is considered a chop mark.......oy vay. It doesn't look old, and it is a D which could be anything, wild. I wouldn't buy it with your money LOL.

The coin sold for just under $1000. I was simply using this as an example to substantiate my claim that PCGS (and other TPGs) do not always understand the distinction between a chop mark and a generic domestic countermark.

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

these two CM threads are quite educational

• Options
    DDRDDR Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting discussion on one of my favorite topics. I would really like to own that coin but, as I expected, it went for more than I was willing to pay.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed, great thread. To think, 5 years ago at small shows in my area dealers couldn't give chop marked trade dollars away in graded PCGS holders, had I known what this thread has taught me...............

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

This thread is a good chance to plug the Chopmark Collectors Club. Basically free to join and the newsletter is high quality and includes many topics similar to this thread. It’s usually published a few months late, 3-4 times a year but worth the wait. PM me if you’d like more info.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file