Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1877 IHC Would you buy a proof or a mintstate coin and why?

I'm considering buying an 1877 IHC. It'd be the only Indian head cent that I'd own. Proof 1877's are a better price for the grade. I understand that more people collect mint state which could give me better resale potential.

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I had the money to buy either, I would buy as many coins in G-VF as I could. I think we'll still have a few years to go before the "hole-pluggers" are all dead - AND I"M ONE OF THEM.

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

Okay, Here's what I did. I have a superb 1877 PCGS MS-64RB CAC /PS indian that is in my (so called box of 20. Fabulous coin.

About 2 years ago, I purchased a partial set of Indians that a customer of mine was building in UNC, so in the 1877 Slot, I purchased a Proof 64RB for that hole to cut down on the cost from mid 8 to mid 4 range. It gives me an example of both types and filled the slot in the Dansco. I did the same thing with the 1856 flyer. have a MS S-3 coin in my box of 20, but put a proof in the album.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd buy the MS. The days when proofs were used to fill albums are mostly over. Which means that proof 77's are not as useful anymore. I expect them to underperform in the coming decade or two.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd buy the best MS you can afford. Not much demand for the proof version.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stay away from the proofs.
    They were minted to look nice. Business strikes were minted to fill the pockets of Americans.
    It was a matter of luck when business strikes looked great.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS for me as well.

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,604 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a real nice proof some years ago, 64 RB....however when I went to sell it the Expert seen a small spot on it (which I could not see at 10x) and he would not touch the damn thing with a 10 foot pole.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are collecting for pleasure, the proof would be the choice, if you are collecting for resale, then the MS would be the better selection. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Compare the population of the 1877 Proof with the 1876. About the same.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS.

• Options
    SimpleCollectorSimpleCollector Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭

A agree with the ms recomendation...think average collector would consider this more , so the future market is bigger. I wouldn't consider a proof for the set I am finishing with my daughter

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen some very pretty 1877 Mint State pieces over the years. So far as Proofs go, only coins that were okay. Still the Proofs were cheaper when I was dealer so some collectors fill the 1877 hole in their sets with them.

I was the 1877 Proof Twenty Cent Piece was as much out of favor as the cent. :/

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, I am not into key dates, I could spend that kind of money on a few other coins.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file