I Like Ike - Post your Eisenhowers!

Comments

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found a couple more . . . . .

2 out of 3 ain't bad . . . . .

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options

Oh hail, I'm CHRONIC . . . . . . . .

Z

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options

• Options
    SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinkat said:
    The one that is overlooked and under appreciated- one of the great Proof Rarities of the 20th Century

This is the 1971-s Type I Proof- not many exist - perhaps as many as 20 have been graded... probably less

I agree....and the one that is missing from my EISENHOWER DOLLARS COMPLETE VARIETY SET, CIRCULATION STRIKES AND PROOF (1971-1978) registry set. https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/dollars/eisenhower-dollars-specialty-sets/eisenhower-dollars-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-proof-1971-1978/publishedset/103788

I would really love to obtain this coin. As you appropriately put it, "The one that is overlooked and under appreciated- one of the great Proof Rarities of the 20th Century".

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor
  • Options
    Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

One final comment on the 71-s type I Proof...

There is simply no excuse whatsoever that this significant coin is not in the Red Book.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 7, 2022 12:46AM

This baby is unfortunately NOT mine!
    :#:#:#
    Ready?

NGC graded in the GSA holder.

<3

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

@joeykoins said:
    Ready?

<3

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 7, 2022 3:22PM

@ZoidMeister said:

@joeykoins said:
    Ready?

<3

Yeah guys, my friend is asking an astronomical figure. $4500
    Yep, I sort of, don't blame him. Hard to give up for any thing less.
    Awesome.

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 7, 2022 3:26PM

@joeykoins said:

@ZoidMeister said:

@joeykoins said:
    Ready?

<3

Yeah guys, my friend is asking an astronomical figure. $4500
    Yep, I sort of, don't blame him. Hard to give up for any thing less.
    Awesome.

Awesome coin!

It would be great to be able to take a TrueView through that holder :)

• Options
    edited August 20, 2022 3:44AM

This Ike was recently seen at ANA and posted by @Luxor here:

It has the following pedigree:

1. Legend Auctions (10/28/2021): Sale 48 Lot 503, realized $13,512.50.
    2. NFC Coins (dealer inventory)

• Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 877 ✭✭✭✭✭

Top Pop

• Options

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2022 5:22PM

@Zoins said:
    Here are a few from @DLHansen's Registry Set to share:

There are a lot of nice coins in this thread (and this post) but this '74 is beyond remarkable.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,482 ✭✭✭✭

@SPalladino said:

FS-801

This is a beautiful Coin Steve!

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,482 ✭✭✭✭

Did I miss it or was the Prototype not displayed on this forum thread?
    Sold at Heritage for $264,000.

https://coins.ha.com/itm/proof-eisenhower-dollars/1971-s-1-eisenhower-dollar-prototype-specimen-67-pcgs-r8/a/1341-4650.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got this one today. Ike's make me happy.

• Options
    edited August 25, 2022 10:56PM

@19Lyds said:
    Did I miss it or was the Prototype not displayed on this forum thread?
    Sold at Heritage for $264,000.

https://coins.ha.com/itm/proof-eisenhower-dollars/1971-s-1-eisenhower-dollar-prototype-specimen-67-pcgs-r8/a/1341-4650.s

This is the @19Lyds / @DFrohman specimen.

It was posted in another forum thread but no harm in posting it here as well.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1067734/the-working-prototype-1971-s-eisenhower-dollars-of-frank-gasparro/p1

• Options

@Cladiator said:
    Got this one today. Ike's make me happy.

Awesome coin and condition @Cladiator! Looks super clean!

• Options

@19Lyds said:

This is a beautiful Coin Steve!

I'm not sure if it the one that I bought from you, Lee, but it may vary well be. I have four of them now. B)

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,514 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just to be different.

Here is a 1953 Eisenhower inaugural medal in silver. This marked the first year that an inaugural medal, in something other than bronze, was offered to the general public. The Republicans had not held the Whitehouse for 20 years, and this was a time for them to celebrate. The mintage in silver was 872 pieces. In later years, the silver inaugural medal mintages would be much higher

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    ByersByers Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

“Blue" Ike Dollars were struck in 40% silver at the San Francisco Mint and were sold to collectors in government sealed packages.
    This one was struck 25% off-center.

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2022 1:08PM

An off-center silver Blue Ike? Sorry, but that’s an “inside job” if there ever was one. Getting a larger business strike dollar passed the quality control system is tough enough. Getting a collector coin that is specially packaged is fishier than the Boston Harbor.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2022 1:28PM

@BillJones said:
    An off-center silver Blue Ike? Sorry, but that’s an “inside job” if there ever was one. Getting a larger business strike dollar passed the quality control system is tough enough. Getting a collector coin that is specially packaged is fishier than the Boston Harbor.

Are you saying an off center silver Blue Ike couldn't have been struck accidentally? Or that it could not have been released?

• Options

There is also 1 broadstruck known, and 1 double struck off center known.

Other than these 3, I have not seen any other major striking errors on silver Blue Ikes in the 45 years that I have been dealing in major mint errors.

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options

@Byers said:
    There is also 1 broadstruck known, and 1 double struck off center known.

Other than these 3, I have not seen any other major striking errors on silver Blue Ikes in the 45 years that I have been dealing in major mint errors.

Wow, just 3 and nothing out there like clovers or staples?

Could these be accidental given the small quantity and seemingly standard types of errors?

• Options

@Zoins

Major striking errors on PROOF Ike dollars, (double strikes and off centers) have sold in the $12,500 to $35,000 range, depending on eye appeal and whether silver or clad.

PROOF Ike off metals have sold in the $6,000 to $25,000. range.

The PROOF ‘clover’ Ike on 3 dimes sold for $105,000.00

These silver Blue Ike major striking errors are many times rarer than PROOF Ike mint errors!

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,838 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS 68

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

@BillJones said:
    Just to be different.

Here is a 1953 Eisenhower inaugural medal in silver. This marked the first year that an inaugural medal, in something other than bronze, was offered to the general public. The Republicans had not held the Whitehouse for 20 years, and this was a time for them to celebrate. The mintage in silver was 872 pieces. In later years, the silver inaugural medal mintages would be much higher

Very nice medals @BillJones and @brokecollector!

Great history to know that the Republicans lost 5 elections in a row back then!

• Options
    Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would love to own a blue Ike Off Center

I am hopeful more will leak out.

In meantime, here's my best Ike Error still sealed in OGP

@Byers said:
    “Blue" Ike Dollars were struck in 40% silver at the San Francisco Mint and were sold to collectors in government sealed packages.
    This one was struck 25% off-center.

• Options

@LindyS

That’s an amazing unique incomplete curved clip on an Ike in a sealed Gov holder!

• Options

@crazyhounddog said:
    PCGS 68

Very nice coin @crazyhounddog! Gorgeous, like your Buffalos!

• Options
    edited August 27, 2022 3:41PM

@Zoins said:

@BillJones said:

Are you saying an off center silver Blue Ike couldn't have been struck accidentally? Or that it could not have been released?

How did it get released?

The early 1970s were marked by “special error coins” getting out of the San Francisco Mint.

• Options
    edited August 27, 2022 4:45PM

@Zoins - here is the answer to how these 3 Blue Ike mint errors got out.

Some SMS mint errors from 1965 thru 1967 got out of the Mint.

Some proof mint errors from 1971 thru 1978 got out of the Mint.

These 3 Blue Ike mint errors
    ( one broadstruck, one double struck off center, and this off center in this thread)
    were not taking out of the Mint.

The Blue Ikes from 1971 thru 1974 were sent in bags of 1,000 each, to a distribution center for packaging and shipping.

Obviously someone noticed these 3 mint errors in the bags in the distribution center.

That is why they are unique and unheard of!

• Options

Okay. I need to know more about this one. Would be a great one to look around for.

• Options

It's by Medallic Art Co. If you're patient, you can get one for a very reasonable price. Check Ebay.

• Options

@Byers said:
    The Blue Ikes from 1971 thru 1974 were sent in bags of 1,000 each, to a distribution center for packaging and shipping.

It does not change your main point WRT to the errors, but the blue Ikes were shipped from San Francisco to the New York packaging/distribution facility, in 1000 coin bags in 1971 only, and thereafter in plastic coin tubes. This explains, in part, the higher quality / less bag marked blue Ikes after 1971.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2022 11:50PM

Thanks for the clarification.

Other than these 3 major striking errors on the 1971S dated blue Ikes, there are a few other minor striking errors known on 1971S and 1972S dated blue Ikes.

It’s amazing that this 25% off center, and the double struck off center were discovered.

That would also explain why these were found in the bags in 1971. Once they were shipped in tubes starting in 1972, nothing like these have been found.

• Options
    edited August 28, 2022 1:06AM

@Byers said:
    The 1971S blue Ikes are difficult to find in better condition.

Other than these 3 major striking errors on the 1971S dated blue Ikes, there are a few other minor striking errors known on 1971S and 1972S dated blue Ikes.

It’s amazing that this 25% off center, and the double struck off center were discovered.

They really sound quite rare! The proofs can be quite gorgeous, but it's amazing that there are so few of these blue Ike errors!

• Options

@brokecollector said:
    It's by Medallic Art Co. If you're patient, you can get one for a very reasonable price. Check Ebay.

Do you know who the initials JJ stand for?

In Dick Johnson's MedaArtists.com databank, I could only find Juszko but he died in 1954:

JUSZKO, Jenö (1880-1954)

Ref: https://www.medalartists.com/identifying-initials.html

• Options
  • Options

It is JUSZKO, Jenö (1880-1954)>

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file