Homeβ€Ί U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Well known errors noone cares about

mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 28, 2017 6:37AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I'm not talking about the 1942/1 Merc, or the 1955 DD Lincoln, nor the 1937 D Buff.

I'm talking about Pres dollars with no edge lettering. Proof dimes with no "S" ...

Any other examples? and also, Did I step on anyone's toes by saying "Pres dollars" or "no S dimes" ?

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

Comments

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wisconsin "extra leaf"?

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Manorcourtman said: "No one cares about all the 2009 Lincoln "Thumb" errors. All 100+ of them."

Actually, there are 234 "thumb" errors as I post this. ONLY KIDDING.

I believe you are expressing the view of many here yet I think you may have dumped all of us into your perception of reality. You must know that collectors come with all sizes of wallets. What most of us fail to realize is there are legions of "fly-speck-error" collectors, roll searchers and hoarders who are interested in minor varieties. Many join here to post a new "find" only to be told it is nothing.

Nevertheless the hunt and the ENJOYMENT IT BRINGS for virtually no outlay of money "rocks" our boat and keeps us young. :wink:

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

1995 1c DDO.
    Hot when they first came out and now, not so much...unless you are building a TOP POP Lincoln Complete Variety Set. I think a MS65 RD in PCGS Holder can be found for about $40 (the holder being a large fraction of the cost).

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    @Manorcourtman said: "No one cares about all the 2009 Lincoln "Thumb" errors. All 100+ of them."

Actually, there are 234 "thumb" errors as I post this. ONLY KIDDING.

I believe you are expressing the view of many here yet I think you may have dumped all of us into your perception of reality. You must know that collectors come with all sizes of wallets. What most of us fail to realize is there are legions of "fly-speck-error" collectors, roll searchers and hoarders who are interested in minor varieties. Many join here to post a new "find" only to be told it is nothing.

Nevertheless the hunt and the ENJOYMENT IT BRINGS for virtually no outlay of money "rocks" our boat and keeps us young. :wink:

Ok, virtually no one cares! Never heard the term fly-speck error collector before but I like it!

• Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of the coins you guys are talking about are VARIETIES, not ERRORS. Remember there is a night and day difference between a die variety and a striking error.

An ERROR no one cares about might be a partial collar strike or a rim burr, or something of that nature.

Just sayin'.

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired β€” 34 years of active military service! πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EXOJUNKIE said:
    Most of the coins you guys are talking about are VARIETIES, not ERRORS. Remember there is a night and day difference between a die variety and a striking error.

An ERROR no one cares about might be a partial collar strike or a rim burr, or something of that nature.

Just sayin'.

Agreed, I viewed all coins mentioned in the original post were varieties so that is why I went that route when mentioning the 1995 1c DDO.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most varieties are indeed (minor) errors but major striking errors are not varieties.

• Options
    edited July 28, 2017 8:42AM

@EXOJUNKIE said: "Most of the coins you guys are talking about are VARIETIES, not ERRORS. Remember there is a night and day difference between a die variety and a striking error. An ERROR no one cares about might be a partial collar strike or a rim burr, or something of that nature. "

OK, your nit-pick got us. But let me nit-pick also. While a DDO is a variety, it is also caused by an "error" made during the production of the die. The Mint made a mistake (error) and produced a coin with a doubled design (error) which is not what the coins are mandated to look like.

Additionally, it think at least 99% of the posters here would like to get their paws on one of those "railroad rim" Morgan, Peace or Twenty Libs you and the other 1% don't care about. :)

Perhaps, "nits" like this post of mine are not necessary - the Devil made me write it. So please take it as a "poke" back at you. I do appreciate your correction though as I don't wish to use incorrect terminology.

• Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    @EXOJUNKIE said: "Most of the coins you guys are talking about are VARIETIES, not ERRORS. Remember there is a night and day difference between a die variety and a striking error. An ERROR no one cares about might be a partial collar strike or a rim burr, or something of that nature. "

OK, your nit-pick got us. But let me nit-pick also. While a DDO is a variety, it is also caused by an "error" made during the production of the die. The Mint made a mistake (error) and produced a coin with a doubled design (error) which is not what the coins are mandated to look like.

Additionally, it think at least 99% of the posters here would like to get their paws on one of those "railroad rim" Morgan, Peace or Twenty Libs you and the other 1% don't care about. :)

Perhaps, "nits" like this post of mine are not necessary - the Devil made me write it. So please take it as a "poke" back at you. I do appreciate your correction though as I don't wish to use incorrect terminology.

>
    "Poke" gladly accepted. My skin is so thick I can't even feel it haha.

In an act of collegial friendship I posted another Chicago Coin Club token (a counterstamp this time) for you on your other thread. Make sure you take a look at it and don't drool too much. ;):p

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired β€” 34 years of active military service! πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ
  • Options
    COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

Small die chip? Like on a wheat ear on the reverse of a wheatie

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 29, 2017 7:00AM

I bet if you found a proof no "s" dime in a set from the 80's you would definitely care about it. Those babies bring big money.

I would say the 1955 Lincoln "poor man's DD".

• Options
    SeatedTonersSeatedToners Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

I remember when the 2007 $1 Washington coins came out with no edge lettering. I was fortunate enough to fine 302 of them at a bank for $1 each. Picked out 3 to save for myself and sold the rest on ebay when they were still going for $150+. The 3 I kept came back graded 65, 65, an 66. A few months ago I saw an MS65 NGC at a dealer for like $40-50 bucks. I was surprised by how much they'd fallen. I guess that's an error that no one really collects

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

BIE Lincoln cents. The "I" was a die chip between the B and E of LIBERTY. They were once a big deal.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Manorcourtman said:
    No one cares about all the 2009 Lincoln "Thumb" errors. All 100+ of them.

I have a BUNCH a those if anyone is interested :D I remember when those were discovered folks were flipping out over them and the no edge lettering on those presidential dollars too. I remember some guy in Southern California was paying 400 bucks for as many those little dollars as he could get. I wonder what happened to that guy :#

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Given enough magnification, every coin is a VARIETY and an ERROR.

Given that I am talking abut using a TEM or SEM (Tunneling or Scanning Electron Microscope) where you can "see" individual atoms in array. Every die will be atomically different, every planchet blank will be different (for example, 1 atom of iridium hither and yon) and every time a single coin is minted, the die is atomically altered, due to wear, temperature, foreign matter, whatever.

When I worked in semiconductors, our tools were searching for billionths of a millimeter differences in structures of the "chips" as they were being produced, as defined against a "perfect" model.

Therefore, EVERY coin is unique, and 99.99999% of the varieties / errors are never documented because no one ever looked at EVERY coin.

It is just a matter of semantics, or in Limbo World "How LOW do you want to Go"

Give me enough money, time and access, I will find a difference due to error and variety on every 2016-D cents, all 4,698,000,000

Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world. Archimedes

• Options

@mustangmanbob said:
    Given enough magnification, every coin is a VARIETY and an ERROR.

Given that I am talking abut using a TEM or SEM (Tunneling or Scanning Electron Microscope) where you can "see" individual atoms in array. Every die will be atomically different, every planchet blank will be different (for example, 1 atom of iridium hither and yon) and every time a single coin is minted, the die is atomically altered, due to wear, temperature, foreign matter, whatever.

When I worked in semiconductors, our tools were searching for billionths of a millimeter differences in structures of the "chips" as they were being produced, as defined against a "perfect" model.

Therefore, EVERY coin is unique, and 99.99999% of the varieties / errors are never documented because no one ever looked at EVERY coin.

It is just a matter of semantics, or in Limbo World "How LOW do you want to Go"

Give me enough money, time and access, I will find a difference due to error and variety on every 2016-D cents, all 4,698,000,000

Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world. Archimedes

I suggest you put your time to better use. Start using your SEM on 18th and 19th Century vintage silver and copper coins as the surfaces of state-of-the-art fakes are getting too deceptive for 40X stereo scopes!

• Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭

I totally forgot that extra thumb Lincoln and that happened while I was very active in the hobby. The 1995 cent is high on my wantlist for sentimental reasons but I have not been willing to shell out the money asked for one. It was the first coin I actively looked for, and the only one I looked for with my dad. Finding his collection after he lost his battle with cancer is how I got started with the hobby.

Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of these variety/errors are a flippers dream for a period of time... some last months, others for a couple of years.... then they vanish into numismatic oblivion. There are always a few collectors that attempt to keep the dream alive... Cheers,RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file