Home U.S. Coin Forum

Pictorial Tribute to Mike Hayes

messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was going through the photos of Mike's coins that I was fortunate enough to take for him over the years. So much great stuff and so much eye appeal across all types that he had. He loved his Barbers and SLQs, but also coins dated 1847, 1889, 1891, 1917, and 1921, as they had significance in his family. He told me he had a 1921 Saint that was a circulated ex-jewelry piece that I think was his mother's, but I never go to see it. For those who knew him and what he collected, you'll say to yourself, "Yup, these are MFH coins." For those who didn't know him, perhaps this will give you a taste of his taste. Each stands alone as a cool coin, but put together, it becomes a very cool collection. You'll be scrolling for a while, as there are 29 coins here, but it'll be a fun scroll. RIP, Mike.

Comments

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like your imaging. Coins appear original and not overly dramatic.

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    I really like your imaging. Coins appear original and not overly dramatic.

Messydesk's images are as good as they come. He's a master.
    Lance.

• BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fantastic coins! He had a great eye.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 25, 2017 10:08PM

Love the classic errors. They really stand out!

It's great he was able to get his provenance on some of the coins as well.

RIP Mike.

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

Classic Mike Hayes material. Thank you for posting. Beautiful pics, by the way. Wow.....

Years ago (maybe 10?) Mike used to email me dozens of coins pics each month, which he needed resized to a smaller size, so that he could post them on the PCGS Message Board. Many were very huge, as he had saved them from dealer sites, etc when he purchased the coin. Mike wasn't super 'computer literate' in those days, so I'd resize them down and email them back. It was not uncommon to come home from work and see 10-15 emails from Mike with various images attached. It was crazy! I could have taught him how to do it, I suppose, but I enjoyed doing it, as he was always very grateful. Seeing what he was buying also led to lots of long email exchanges about certain coins. Loved those days. Still can't fathom that we've lost him.

RIP Mike -

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 26, 2017 2:48AM

I had talked with mike on here a good year or so before I met him in person. Ist time I met him he was at a show when he was submitting his standing liberty quarter collection for pedigree and registry. beautiful set, and he also showed me some of his nice barbers at the time as well. Somebody needs to post his 95-o capped die dime he was famous for owning. As I mentioned earlier , he will sure be missed. A great guy that many people loved and admired.

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 26, 2017 4:15AM

Now that's the cream of any crop!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk ....What an amazing tribute to Mike.... Thank you, a truly beautiful eulogy for a great numismatist. Cheers, RickO

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow - I've been following and corresponding with Mike for years, but there are coins in here I never knew he owned!
    Thanks for posting, messydesk!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 26, 2017 5:04AM

Great pics John. Mike truly had an eye for great coins. My last time with him was in Jan 2017 celebrating his 70th birthday and being his guest at his house for winter FUN 2017.

Can't believe he is gone. :'(

• Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭

A wonderful tribute for Mike. Thank you.

Craig

• WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

Superb

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

R.I.P. Mike :'(

• jomjom Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always loved those high-end AU Barber dimes he had...It think he sold them off but it was always fun to look at his photos. I kind of wish I had bought one in that auction.... :(

jom

• thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

A very nice tribute and an outstanding collection.

I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • RedglobeRedglobe Posts: 581 ✭✭✭

Seeing coins like that is a valuable lesson to be learned,be patient in selecting your coins.If you can't just come back to this thread.
    Eye appeal is the legacy I see in Mr Hayes' coins.

I will miss his contributions

Rob

Rob
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find all of his coins just over the top amazing. Just as I find your imaging top notch. Too much to like here. system overload.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk, Thank you for posting a living tribute to Mike. It means a lot to those of us that never had the pleasure of meeting him.

• MarkMark Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk you were correct. It took a long while to get though the pictures. But talk about mixed emotions--the coins are stunning but the reason you posted them is just so sad...

Mark

• HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

The man was a true coin collector indeed.

• dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another member and I were discussing Mike last night. He was such a fantastic guy! I learned a lot from him, and he was always so gracious and kind.

Does anyone know what became of collection? Did the family retain them? Or were they sold?

• jomjom Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭✭✭

Miss Mike's posts...he had a thread ATS where he uploaded a ton of pics....especially all those AU Barber Dimes. Great stuff. He also told me about his "run" of 1832 CBQ's he owned...

I never actually met the guy but he seems a great guy.

jom

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing pictures.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you photograph his Commemorative coins? Under the name Elbezaar, Mike had me make him a digital album for his set of Commems. Beautiful coins, even though they were blast white, lol. You are a very talented photographer. Thanks for sharing.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file