Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thoughts on a Raw Seated Half

Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

From my 7070 album, purchased at a small auction at least 25 years ago as an XF:

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug

Comments

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2017 7:28PM

There's a good example of gradeflation. That was an XF+ back in the day.

Certainly has "AU55" detail today. Can't see the luster in that view though. That would really decide whether it's still a 45 or now a 50/53/55. Looks like a decent AU to me. While those are sizable rubs on Miss Liberty, I've seen no worse on slabbed 63/64 coins. Any eye appeal in hand with 25% or more luster and that should be AU-slabbed all day long. Imo, it would bring good money raw too....as an AU.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

Thanks rr - the pics look better on the iPhone for some reason.....the obverse luster is better than the photo shows, and the reverse is pretty much spot on (luster much subdued).
    But I like your thinking, as that's what I was wondering - I always thought the coin was a strong XF, but if this coin today had a shot at 50 or not.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it a lot

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coin with real potential. Good luck with grading.

• Options
    edited July 20, 2017 7:32PM

Common variety with that heavy planchet defect in the lower right shield. I had an NGC MS65 once from the same die. Is there a raised/arching line going from the eagle's left wing to left claw? Looks raised to me. Heavy clash mark from Liberty's left forearm?

• Options
    edited July 20, 2017 7:43PM

Yes indeed. This photo shows the clashing at Liberty's elbow, which looks like part of the wing tip:

• Options

If that's the case, it could be clashed on both sides....in the same area. That's unusual.

• Options
    tdiaz1979tdiaz1979 Posts: 75 ✭✭✭

Nice coin thanks for sharing.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerguy21D said:
    Yes indeed. This photo shows the clashing at Liberty's elbow, which looks like part of the wing tip:

A solid mid/high AU, IMO. I like it!

The clashing at Liberty's elbow (really the forearm) appears to be part of the underwing.
    Lance.

• Options
    AmazonXAmazonX Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

I like it.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say mid AU.... nice coin with good overall detail. The reverse is really nice... the obverse rub is apparent but not too distracting. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Thanks Lance - looks like you nailed it with that overlay image.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's hard to say what the grade or net grade might be from those photos, especially on the obverse. The coin had AU sharpness by the standards that were in place 25 years ago. The question is, are the surfaces smooth and bright because of they have the original mint luster, or have they been smoothed and polished? The "XF" grade from long ago might have been a net grade.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

I believe the coin was certainly dipped or lightly cleaned long ago, but not polished.
    It was mostly white with a trace of rim tone prior to storing it in the album.
    The XF grade was my assigned grade. I don't recall what the small auction house called it, but I do know they did not net grade, and if anything were 'loose' on behalf of their consignors.

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks AU to me. Can't tell if it is cleaned, images are over-saturated. I like it.

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it as an xf45 even with today's standards. A flashy 45 is better than a dull AU. Excessive thigh and breast rub (snicker) and neutral to negative secondary tone seal the XF grade.

• Options
    edited July 21, 2017 9:55AM
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice, AU any time.

Frank

BHNC #203

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights