Options

What do you think Original label and new grade? Pics added

SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 20, 2017 1:22PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Pic of coin as soon as it gets here today

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Guess the crackout game didn't work this time. Or, someone messed with it before it went back, is that even possible?

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

@AUandAG said:
    Guess the crackout game didn't work this time. Or, someone messed with it before it went back, is that even possible?

bob

Went up in grade but questionable color. From a large collection where they broke everything out of slabs and into dansco.
    I just wanted it back in 58 holder, the questionable color threw me

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd do that too. Why chance a grade guarantee in the era of stickers being the only things that count anymore?

Kick em into GENNIES....

:D

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2017 11:22AM

No guarantee when there cracked out. Maybe it needs a dip and re-submitted. cant tell without seeing the coin.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

No coin picture = No opinion.

Mistakes have been made with every generation of holder, and how do you know that the label and the coin really go together if the coin has been cracked out of the holder?

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@BillJones said:
    No coin picture = No opinion.

Mistakes have been made with every generation of holder, and how do you know that the label and the coin really go together if the coin has been cracked out of the holder?

One gold coin in collection with the label stuck on dansco album
    Pics up now

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps it had iodine applied at the time of submission and now it is evident.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really cannot determine much from the pictures, though the color does look a bit lifeless.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 21, 2017 7:24AM

There is no accountability for TPGs. I said this in another thread. Imagine you see your CPA and he/she signs off on your taxes. Then you get audited and there are mistakes. He/she is accountable because they were paid for a professional opinion and based on that opinion something happened. In the last couple years I've really started feeling like some regulatory oversight over TPGs is necessary. Don't all hate on me at once, but I think that lack of accountability for grading inconsistencies have cost collectors hundreds of millions of dollars and that needs to be addressed either internally (ANA) or externally (Gov oversight).

• Options

@ricko said:
    I really cannot determine much from the pictures, though the color does look a bit lifeless.... Cheers, RickO

my bad pictures coin is very nice in hand. Maybe should have told keep in an area that gets very hot lol

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cleaned?

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I liked the AU-58 grade in spite of the large scratch on the reverse.

• Options

Color looks ok in that second picture....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mercurydimeguy said:
    There is no accountability for TPGs. I said this in another thread. Imagine you see your CPA and he/she signs off on your taxes. Then you get audited and there are mistakes. He/she is accountable because they were paid for a professional opinion and based on that opinion something happened. In the last couple years I've really started feeling like some regulatory oversight over TPGs is necessary. Don't all hate on me at once, but I think that lack of accountability for grading inconsistencies have cost collectors hundreds of millions of dollars and that needs to be addressed either internally (ANA) or externally (Gov oversight).

How can a TPG be held accountable for an opinion on a coin that was removed from its holder and then submitted again for another opinion?

Grading is an opinion, not a determination of fact. Grading standards do not exist, only grading guidelines that are independent for each TPG.

Use the ANA for enforcement? Seriously? What is the worst the ANA can do? Remove you as a member ... that's it. And what's the impact of that removal? Nothing ... unless you are a dealer who wants to set up at one of the ANA's two shows.

Hundreds of millions of dollars lost due to grading inconsistencies? Where's the data to support this? What about the money "made" by grading inconsistencies? How many collectors and dealers can generate healthy revenue by spotting undergraded coins and resubmitting for a higher grade?

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 23, 2017 8:06AM

That's a bunch of BS IMO.
    Nice MS-62 for what it's worth.
    I haven't been happy with my last few submissions either.

• Options

@astrorat.... That is an excellent summation, concise and on target. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file