Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Ask a stupid coin question thread.

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

All of us have a question that we should know the answer to, but don't.

This is the place to ask it.

No numismatic shaming will be permitted. ;)

Comments

• Options
    NumivenNumiven Posts: 377 ✭✭✭
    1. Do delears have a different (cheaper) prices at PCGS and NGC when they send ib their coins for grading at the shows?

2. how do people meet the 3 yrs of full time dealer requirement to register as a PCGS as a dealer? As u cannot make a living having a non-pcgs /ngc affiliation for 3 yrs?

3. Do dealers trade a lot on CCE? How do small dealers get access to it?

Numismatics & Photography
    rv@ravenumismatics.com
    Instagram.com/coin2photo

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great thread, thanks for starting it :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

Why is the reverse of a Morgan nearly always nicer than the obverse. I get the strike part but not the lack of marks.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

In The complete Guide to Shield and Liberty Head Nickels, this characteristic (the spikes from the "5") is said to be caused by "die erosion." When a die eroded, it makes sense that it should be in a "radial" direction from the center. In this image, that seems to be the case.

Stupid questions:

1. Should the erosion be wider on the field toward to recess of the die or should it start narrow in the field and get wider toward the recess (as in this case)?
    2. Should die erosion "present" as sharp spikes?
    3. Anyone have better images of this characteristic on a Shield nickel?
    4. Is it possible there are actually two causes for these spikes with on being erosion and the other be tooling?"
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Why is the reverse of a Morgan nearly always nicer than the obverse. I get the strike part but not the lack of marks.

A Morgan reverse has less flat open areas to show the hits. Think the cheek. If that was the eagles breast/wings then the hits will not show. Especially the rubs and luster breaks. Those show so much more in the fields and cheek than on the reverse. They may be there, on the reverse, but your eye just does not see them.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    CoinPhysicistCoinPhysicist Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭

I thought we needed a thread like this for dumb questions. What's the best way to obtain a PR 69 or 70 DCAM 1992 or 1996 half dollar for my type set? Basically I just want one and to spend as little as possible because it's something I won't love but something I would need for a set. Is the best way ebay auction or at a coin show in a junk bin?

Successful transactions with: wondercoin, Tetromibi, PerryHall, PlatinumDuck, JohnMaben/Pegasus Coin & Jewelry, CoinFlip, and coinlieutenant.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why have dates on coins? No need for them and would make preparing dies a lot easier. Kills the coin hobby, but from a practical standpoint they aren't needed. You can account for the number of coins produced in a year simply by counting them.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Assuming equal current market value, which is better, the finest (highest grade) of a billion known, or the worst of 100 known?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    NumivenNumiven Posts: 377 ✭✭✭

Why does US coin have inverted obverse and reverse unlike coins from other countries?

Numismatics & Photography
    rv@ravenumismatics.com
    Instagram.com/coin2photo

• Options
    CoinPhysicistCoinPhysicist Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭

@Baley said:
    Assuming equal current market value, which is better, the finest (highest grade) of a billion known, or the worst of 100 known?

In my opinion it's the worst grade of 100 known all day long.

Successful transactions with: wondercoin, Tetromibi, PerryHall, PlatinumDuck, JohnMaben/Pegasus Coin & Jewelry, CoinFlip, and coinlieutenant.

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are Ebay coin auctions "shilled" more often than not?

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it more fun when it's just you with your coins, or when you share that passion with another who "oohs and ahhs" at your insanity ?

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

is this toning artificial or natural?
    photo IMG_0069.jpg

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, boy. I get to ask a numismatic stupid question. Here goes:

When will the coin market come back?

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 19, 2017 12:14PM

@Baley said:

This is more of an impossible question than a stupid question. Follow your heart dude. Do you want to be the best or do you want to be special?

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 19, 2017 12:00PM

Can't wait see some stupid answers.

I could start...

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

Ever hear of Dow 'yellow cap' oven cleaner being used to doctor coins?

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why do Morgans, Peace Dollars and other coins sell for much higher prices in antique shops than they do in auctions or other sources??
    Second question - Is anyone going to answer any of these questions??
    Cheers, RickO

• Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why are coins usually round?

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    edited July 19, 2017 1:19PM

@totally said: "I thought the point of this thread was to have the dumb questions answered. Not to make this just one long infinite stream of dumb questions no one knows the answers to."

Now that is a stupid question! I thought the same thing. :wink:

Here is a stupid question: Why are coins that were previously graded AU now graded Mint State?

• Options

@totally said:
    I thought we needed a thread like this for dumb questions. What's the best way to obtain a PR 69 or 70 DCAM 1992 or 1996 half dollar for my type set? Basically I just want one and to spend as little as possible because it's something I won't love but something I would need for a set. Is the best way ebay auction or at a coin show in a junk bin?

coin show or store - you can buy a single coin or a mint set.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

What happens when..... (excuse me...."IF") someone comes up with a service that selects only the TOP FIFTH of coins for the grade? :D:p

• Options
    KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does the ANA really care on what dealers, collectors think and recommend?

• Options
    musstangrmusstangr Posts: 61 ✭✭✭

Can't wait see some stupid answers.

I could start...> @Ronyahski said:

LOL, I refuse to put my stupidity on full display if no one is actually gonna answer.

• Options
    Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭

Somebody needs to answer some of these, I'll take a shot on a few...

Round coins are more comfortable in a pocket and don't mar or poke things due to not having corners.

Peace and Morgan dollars sell for higher prices at antique stores because the people buying them there aren't collectors, just casual buyers and don't know their real values.

My stupid question:
    Why do Morgan dollars sell for such high prices in relation to their huge populations?

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

• Options

@Sandman70gt asked: "Why do Morgan dollars sell for such high prices in relation to their huge populations?"

Many can answer this better but I'll try.

1. big coins
    2. silver
    3. lots of collectors
    4. lots of research done
    5. lots of really nice, very old coins around dirt cheap.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 19, 2017 2:58PM

@topstuf said:
    What happens when..... (excuse me...."IF") someone comes up with a service that selects only the TOP FIFTH of coins for the grade? :D:p

Don't look now, but CAC has already done that with MS65 and higher $20 Libs/Saints. They approve of approx the TOP TWENTIETH. Next step....top one hundreth. That could already be happening is someone looks at 5 stickered gem $20 Saints....and only picks the very best ONE.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2017 2:57PM

Does coin FRESHNESS vary with respect to coin denomination, era, or grade? Or is it just 10 years off the market for any coin? Does the coin market need a PFC (Poppin' Fresh Czar) to regulate and authenticate freshnicity?

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,871 ✭✭✭✭✭

What will happen to coin prices when the one individual determining good from bad hangs it up?

• Options

@Boosibri asked: "What will happen to coin prices when the one individual determining good from bad hangs it up?"

Everyone can be replaced and every company can be (?) sold.

One long time TPGS employee told me he was going to die at his desk doing what he loves. I'll bet there are lots of folks working in the business with the same thoughts.

• Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 19, 2017 3:33PM

Why do the major TPG's price guides continue to be way too low for VF-AU Classic coins like most Bust and Seated coins (especially even slightly tougher dates) when non-dealers can't buy them anywhere near those low prices?

I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does CAC offer more money for an MS65+ coin with a green sticker than an MS65 coin with a green sticker?

• Options
    stashstash Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

How many coins could a woodchuck, chuck, if a woodchuck chucked coins ?

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sandman70gt said:
    My stupid question:
    Why do Morgan dollars sell for such high prices in relation to their huge populations?

Price is determined by supply AND demand. The demand for Morgans is much higher than one would guess by polling the posters here!
    Plus, while most people are happy with one 18xx dime, or nickel, or quarter, Morgan collectors seem to not mind having 2 or 3 for any one date if they are identifiably "different".

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stash said:
    How many coins could a woodchuck, chuck, if a woodchuck chucked coins ?

Why, He'd chuck all the coins that a woodchuck could, if a woodchuck could chuck coins!

I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options

@thisnamztaken said:
    Why do the major TPG's price guides continue to be way too low for VF-AU Classic coins like most Bust and Seated coins (especially even slightly tougher dates) when non-dealers can't buy them anywhere near those low prices?

They aren't low on too many of them. Even so, dealers get to buy them from time to time from the less than knowledgeable public....because they can point to the low price guide number.

• Options
    KindaNewishKindaNewish Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭

@roadrunner said:
    Does coin FRESHNESS vary with respect to coin denomination, era, or grade? Or is it just 10 years off the market for any coin? Does the coin market need a PFC (Poppin' Fresh Czar) to regulate and authenticate freshnicity?

Is it too late to change my handle here? Because I wanna be the Poppin' Fresh Czar!

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

@roadrunner said:

I think "freshness" may vary with grade and rarity!

If you seek VG Lincoln cents, there are always "fresh" ones because there are so many of them. It's impossible that you've seen them all.

On the other hand, if you seek MS-68 Lincolns, or even VG Chain Cents, the population is limited, and you have probably seen many/most/all of them, recycled from dealer-to-dealer and collector-to-collector. The "new" one that comes into the market from an old collection is a reason to celebrate!

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Why do Morgans, Peace Dollars and other coins sell for much higher prices in antique shops than they do in auctions or other sources??
    Second question - Is anyone going to answer any of these questions??
    Cheers, RickO

It is because 'Trust' in Peace Dollars Is Spelled Wrong.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Numiven said:
    1. Do delears have a different (cheaper) prices at PCGS and NGC when they send ib their coins for grading at the shows?

1. how do people meet the 3 yrs of full time dealer requirement to register as a PCGS as a dealer? As u cannot make a living having a non-pcgs /ngc affiliation for 3 yrs?

2. Do dealers trade a lot on CCE? How do small dealers get access to it?

I can answer #1.
    Generally, no! It all comes down to volume. Who has lots of volume? Great Collections and Heritage are two. Hoards of coins have been graded by TPGs at discounted prices before. If you look at the pricing for having a coin graded via Great Collections when you want coins sold by them, you will see the prices are much cheaper! Look at their submission form: http://www.greatcollections.com/forms/raw_coins.pdf

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the Total Coin Market really in the chithole?

Ken

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

How stupid would it be for CAC to start an actual TPG and buy all the slab making machines while they're devastating grades to begin with? :p

• Options
    edited July 19, 2017 5:22PM

When is the grey sheet going to catch up to the declining Morgan market?

http://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/479188/1882-CC-Morgan-Silver-Dollar-PCGS-MS-66

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,871 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 19, 2017 5:34PM

When will rare coins become actually rare?

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't understand what a capped die is.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file