Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Crowns of the World Dansco Album

erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 17, 2017 7:46PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Just picked up this album after getting the crown bug. I filled in lots of holes today with some of my first round of purchases. Now I need some suggestions for other coins, especially Europe. I have a list of ones I am planning on picking up next time I get paid. What are some of your favorites that you might suggest???

Current Album: Bermuda Crown, Canada Dollar, Canada Goose, Japan1000 Yen Olympics, Mexico 1955 Hidalgo, Balboa 1966, New Zealand, GB: 1935 Rocking Horse, GB 1951 St. George, GB 1953 Coronation, Bahamas $2, 5 Peso Hidalgo, 5 Peso Hidalgo Anniversary

Future Additions on my list: Balboa 1947, China "Fat Man", South Africa Rand, Barbados Neptune, Mexico Cabillito, Mexico 5 Peso(47-48), Australia, China/Hong Kong/GB Trade $1, Phillippines Peso

Comments

• Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 17, 2017 9:06PM

Sounds like a fun album to fill. How about a Swiss 5 Franc? You have a couple choices with this one, the most commonly available/affordable being the variety started in 1922 with the herdsman (formerly thought to be William Tell). Another obvious choice would be the Oak Tree and Zeppelin 5 Reichsmark coins from Germany.

Edit to add - Also the French Hercules coins. You could go with a 19th century 5 Franc variety or sticking with a more modern theme, the 10 Franc of 1964-1973 or the big impressive 50 Franc of 1974-1980.

***Also, I'm not sure how important diameter is with these Dansco albums. I looked up that one, and it indicated holes of 36, 38, 39, 40 and 42 mm. I know some crowns are 37 mm and per Numista, the French 50 Franc coin is 41 mm.

Jeff

• Options
    stevereecystevereecy Posts: 203 ✭✭✭

Consider a French 5 Franc with Napoleon. It's on my want list. Lots of history in one of those.

Really enjoying collecting coins and currency again

My currency "Box of Ten" Thread: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1045579/my-likely-slow-to-develop-box-of-ten#latest
  • Options

Don't forget to include a Mexican cap and rays 8R. Also from Chile are the cool Pesos of 1867-1891. Paraguay has a one year type Peso dated 1889 featuring a lion with a liberty/phrygian cap - killer coin.

Jeff

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 17, 2017 9:23PM

Except for the first few years, the latter William Tell-type Swiss 5 Francs is too small to fit snugly in the Dansco 7010 album (at least it is rather less than 36, 37, 38, 39 or 40 millimeters). The early coins are probably the kinds of things to place in an individual holder.

I would suggest that French 5 Francs of Louis Phillipe and Bapoleon III are historic and inexpensive in fine to very fine condition. I am also a great fan of the 1957 Ceylon (Sri Lanka) 2500 Years of Buddhism crown-sized coin.

• Options

Since you already mentioned Australia (I'm assuming the 1937-1938 crown), New Zealand has a rather cool crown dated 1949 also with King George VI. The reverse has a fern I believe.

• Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

Netherlands and colonies Silver 2 1/2 Gulden; Peruvian Sol 1914-1935; French Indo-China Piastre; Austria 5 Corona; Maria Theresa Thaler.

Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

That does sound Fun

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the suggestions! Ill do my homework on them. Trying to make this both a fun and inexpensive set. I have been amazed at how cheap these coins are, especially with the low price of silver!

• Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

Back when silver was $6-7 an ounce I bought these coins by the handful at local shows. I still have some in my collection, even after culling them to sell when it was over $40.

Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    edited July 18, 2017 4:21PM

Back at CICF in 1984, somebody had four bags of Louis Phillipe 5 Francs coins, approximately 1,000 coins per bag. The bags were open at top for a general view. Never seen more in one place, before or since.

• Options

You could fill up this Dansco with a whole lot of Mexican. Two others which you didn't mention would be the 1950 5 peso Southern Railroad -- gems can be had for $150-200. A really cool coin. Then the very common 1968 25 peso Olympics -- there seems to be a constant supply of MS67 coins which are selling in the $30-40 range.

• Options

Why would you put gemmy 1950 Railroad Dollars in a so-so quality album with plastic slides??? You'll just make slide marks on the coins. Those Railroad dollars deserve individual holders, possibly deserve to be stabbed. Dansco albums aren't for everything.

• Options
    WheatieFanWheatieFan Posts: 11 ✭✭

I like the France Hercules coins. There is a lot to choose from in France, Spain, Belgium, Netherlands and other European countries from the 1800s. So many that you can pick one of each country. One of the Spanish crowns has an infant which is a little out of the ordinary.

Other choices:
    Ethiopia Birr
    Japanese Yen
    UK Queen Victoria

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

You could fill that whole album with different German States Crown sized coins!

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I was to do the set, my core requirements for a crown sized set might be tied to a specific date range or other central theme:

Early America:
    Pillar Dollar
    Spanish Portrait 8 Reales
    French Ecu
    German Taler
    English Crown
    Netherlands Daalder
    US Early Dollar

19th Century
    Mexican Cap & Rays
    US Dollar (I'd shoot for a trade dollar given the global significance)
    French 5 Francs
    German Taler/5 Marks
    English Crown
    Spanish Portrait

20th Century
    US Dollar
    Canadian Dollar
    Chinese Dollar
    French 5 Francs
    German 5 Mark
    Mexican Cabalitto
    Japanese Yen
    Guatemalan Peso
    Peru Sol
    Panama Bolboa

• Options

I can't see putting Pillar Dollars into a Dansco either. I wouldn't put a Cabalito into one unless it were low end. I wouldn't put a U.S. Trade Dollar into one, but I wouldn't own a unslabbed U.S. Trade Dollar.

If I were looking for a rule, if a single coin was worth as much as, or more than the cost of the Dansco album, I wouldn't put it in the Dansco. That coin deserves an individual holder. If a coin had nice surfaces, I wouldn't put it in a Dansco, especially an album that was going to have pages slid open frequently. Slide marks do happen with this style of album. I have a 1919-S Walker in strong VF that got a lot of slide marks from a Dansco (ouch), not going to happen again to anything in my care.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fair enough... I guess I approached the question more from the perspective of what a crown sized set could be vs what to put in a Dansco which was the original question.

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erwindoc said:
    Just picked up this album after getting the crown bug. I filled in lots of holes today with some of my first round of purchases. Now I need some suggestions for other coins, especially Europe. I have a list of ones I am planning on picking up next time I get paid. What are some of your favorites that you might suggest???

Current Album: Bermuda Crown, Canada Dollar, Canada Goose, Japan1000 Yen Olympics, Mexico 1955 Hidalgo, Balboa 1966, New Zealand, GB: 1935 Rocking Horse, GB 1951 St. George, GB 1953 Coronation, Bahamas $2, 5 Peso Hidalgo, 5 Peso Hidalgo Anniversary

Future Additions on my list: Balboa 1947, China "Fat Man", South Africa Rand, Barbados Neptune, Mexico Cabillito, Mexico 5 Peso(47-48), Australia, China/Hong Kong/GB Trade $1, Phillippines Peso

I have this album too and it's a lot of fun. I wish it had a 37mm page as I am a big Peru Sol collector but I guess it makes me funds other coins.

The most useful way to find coins you may want in this album is by using numista. If you use their advanced search, you can search by diameter which is very useful for finding what will fit each of the pages:

https://en.numista.com and click on "advanced search". Good luck and keep us updated.