Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

RELISTED Scary good counterfeits 1793 wreath cent + 1806 half cent

2»

Comments

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a practical matter, if you are buying an expensive (for you) coin, know your source and know that they will stand by it. And before buying such, get an opinion from it from a disinterested third party who knows more about it than you do. Caveat emptor.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,511 ✭✭✭✭✭

That "1872-S half dollar" is one scary counterfeit. You have to know something about the die varieties to catch this one.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭

If they had gotten. The dies correct for the 72s half would this have been detected as a fake. I used to collect these and would have called it genuine. Very glad I sold my set about a year ago

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fishteeth said: "If they had gotten. The dies correct for the 72s half would this have been detected as a fake. I used to collect these and would have called it genuine."

Me too! If I were a grader, I should probably blow by this one without a second look. The fact that these were slabbed as genuine puts you and I in good company. IMHO, this is something only an advanced collector of LSHD would have detected and as I understand that was the case.

So far there does not seem to be many of these around around. When the maker does not get greedy and flood a market, it usually will take longer to ID a well-made fake.

• Options
    burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

I realize this is an old post, but I have recently added this 1806 example to my growing holdings:

"Coin" of course is fake and has the matching marks/ tells of the others in the "family".

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file