Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1982 Small Date Penny?

Fee316Fee316 Posts: 89
edited July 12, 2017 3:10AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Out of the 50 I've had I found a small date 1982 penny. The 2 curve, how further from bordet it is, the eight is smaller the W is more defined. What do y'all think?

Comments

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

yes, small date

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

The weight will tell you if it's copper or zinc.
    3.1 grams for copper and 2.5 for zinc.

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeap its a small date.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great find Fee.... your searching is showing results.... Just curious - what got you started in coins, since you seem to be relatively new to the hobby - You are detail oriented and obviously dedicated. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Yes I do know and so I wanted to post this because this was kinda a "pinch me I'm dreaming " moment. Pretty cool.

• Options

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now find one with a D and you will have something special.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options

Actually that's not true. It's not just the,D. I already spoke with someone from Heritage Auctions and a local dealer. Neither said it had to be D. All 7 are said to be rare to find in good condition in small but especially the 3.1gram. Dealer already offered to look at it, make sure it's authentic aND they will send to PCGS to get professionally graded.

• Options

Thanks Rick. It started when a close relative passed away I got left some jewelry abd other things. I found a nickel with no face and it was so weird that she'd keep it. I inquired about it, it was just pmd but I didn't know of any of these mint errors and started looking through my change in car and purse. I found some good pennies and became addicted. Thanks for asking! :)

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Fee316 said:
    Actually that's not true. It's not just the,D. I already spoke with someone from Heritage Auctions and a local dealer. Neither said it had to be D. All 7 are said to be rare to find in good condition in small but especially the 3.1gram. Dealer already offered to look at it, make sure it's authentic aND they will send to PCGS to get professionally graded.

You may already know this, sending it to PCGS will cost more than the coin is worth unless it has sentimental value to you.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your first photo looks like a drastically different coin than the 2nd one, which is more indicative of the condition of the coin? This is the link to the PCGS CoinFacts page for the Bronze 1982 Small Date Lincolns. In my opinion it would have to grade 66 RD to be worth your money and effort to submit. The high resolution images on that site will give you an idea of grade for your own coin.

Your first photo tells me you have no shot, the 2nd photo says you might. I would be surprised if Heritage would be too excited about the coin based upon the first photo.

Good luck to you.

• Options

Thanks that why I'm getting it graded. Lighting in my house is horrible aND I use the magnifying camera from phone so pic comes out based on how steady your hand is. The 1st pic is with the flashlight on and second is no flashlight. It's hard to get close up without a shadow when in poorly lit room at night. I guess we will see. I find am a positive person so putting out positive vibes into universe and hopefully it's worth something. Thanks I will keep y'all updated. Probably next week before it gets looked at. My boyfriend said not to send it to anyone until he gets back in town lol. I feel better waiting for him and get his advice. > @1Mike1 said:

@Fee316 said:

You may already know this, sending it to PCGS will cost more than the coin is worth unless it has sentimental value to you.

Yes a local dealer and my boyfriend informed me it's about $40. The dealer said the owner comes back into town next week and will meet with me to check out coin to check authenticity, grade then they'll send it in for me if it's worth it
    Thanks for the info. I like to think positively and not cynically. I think it makes a huge difference in life in general. Even if it's not "worthy" it's cool to think I've been doing this for 5 weeks and Ive found some really cool pennies. It definitely wants to make me keep looking. Thanks!

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 12, 2017 4:22PM

Getting that coin graded is a huge waste of time and money. It is not at all rare and the coin posted is not going to grade 66RD (or better). You could buy a BU set of memorial Lincolns (including the 7 1982 varieties) for less than the cost of getting that coin slabbed.

On a positive note, looking through change and rolls is a lot of fun and can be especially rewarding when you find something cool. I still get a thrill out of finding wheat cents. I hope you enjoy it and continue to learn more about the hobby!

• Options
    edited July 12, 2017 4:40PM

Well it's a beautiful coin abd there's no way you can tell by pictures. It's metallic and depending on how you turn it, goes in between burnt red and metalic brownish red. I didn't even post back and yes you can judge by what cell pic I posted but not really judge officially until you see in person. Thanks but I've gotten great advice and will have professional look at it and decide if it should be sent in. I think it'd be foolish to not send in based on opinion of one person online using bad cell phone pics. Thanks for your opinion though. I guess we'll see what happens.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@david3142 said:
    Getting that coin graded is a huge waste of time and money. It is not at all rare and the coin posted is not going to grade 66RD (or better). You could buy a BU set of memorial Lincolns (including the 7 1982 varieties) for less than the cost of getting that coin slabbed.

On a positive note, looking through change and rolls is a lot of fun and can be especially rewarding when you find something cool. I still get a thrill out of finding wheat cents. I hope you enjoy it and continue to learn more about the hobby!

This is good advice.
    The coin would have to be a 67RD to even break even....and while this is a rather uncommon change find, these coins are available in BU by the roll quantity on eBay and other sites.
    Certainly not rare.
    You have a good eye for detail and your enthusiasm for coins is great, but if I were you I would save my money for a better coin to submit.
    Looks 64RB or so to me.

• Options

@Fee316 said:

If you were told this, the person you spoke to has no idea what he/she is talking about.
    Sorry.

• Options

I think you'll find that pretty much everyone on this board will agree with me, but presumably the dealer will look at it and decide it isn't worth sending in. It reflects poorly on him if he does suggest you send it away and it comes back as anything less than 65RD.

• Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭

You can get an uncirculated set of all seven 1982 cent types for a couple of dollars. It's very unlikely that coin is worth submitting.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options

Well thanks for your opinion. I will submit it aND have a professional tell me that. I'll keep y'all updated!:)

• Options
    edited July 12, 2017 5:32PM

Are you the guys from Coin Talk forum??? Hehe. Guys relax. I'm getting it looked at in person and obviously well see what they say. Thanks for positivity and encouragement. Really know how to promote this hobby.

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 12, 2017 6:22PM

Why are grading turnaround times so high? This. I guess tuition fees are now due.

• Options

@Fee316 said:
    Are you the guys from Coin Talk forum??? Hehe. Guys relax. I'm getting it looked at in person and obviously well see what they say. Thanks for positivity and encouragement. Really know how to promote this hobby.

I doubt anyone here wants to pee on your parade.
    I think the members who have responded are trying to save you both money and disappointment by suggesting that you not send in the coin.
    I think it's cool that a young person is interested in coins, especially in Lincolns, because that is my main area.
    I hope your interest will continue, and if you decide to submit the coin, I wish you the best of luck with it.

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 12, 2017 7:34PM

They do sell very cheap sets of all the 1982 Lincolns. Look at ebay. I bet you can get a set for under $5.

Here's one on ebay: ebay.com/itm/Set-7-Uncirculated-1982-Variety-P-D-Copper-Zinc-Small-Large-Date-Lincoln-Cent-BU-/232403382654?hash=item361c52317e:g:4JIAAOSw5bFZYqFp

• Options

I understand. I guess the delivery is kinda snarky but I do appreciate y'alls advice. That's why a local dealer offered to check it out first to see if it's worth sending in. I think getting a professional to look at in in person is best step then I'll see. Thanks for advice and trust me I hear you.

• Options

Best of luck.
    Keep on looking!
    It's fun, isn't it?

• Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't get discouraged, people are giving you honest advice. I assumed that is why you posted, right?

And I have to ask. What is up with "aND" is it some kind of code?

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

keep looking. you are doing well. don't let the "snarky" responses get you. i think they are trying to help. you have to develop a thick skin on these boards.

i hope you are taking my advice to fill a lincoln album. pay close attention to how different all the coins in circulation look. note the color and luster differences as well as the details.

• Options

• Options

1982 D 3.1 copper and a 1982 no mint date zinc 2.5.hi guys my question is do they look like smalls dates?

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good find...searching for stuff like that is fun! I look forward to seeing what your find is graded. Regarding the 'negative posts' sometimes the delivery comes off a bit different in text format....since many of the folks have been in the hobby for quite a few years and have been dealers etc. they will often look at submissions from a business standpoint. No use spending more money than a coin is worth to have it graded and they really don't want to see you disappointed. But...if you want to go ahead and send them in! I'll send in lower grade 1879-S Morgans which are very common just to get examples for my grading set...the submission costs are more than the melt value of the coin but it adds to my collection so I'll continue to do it.

K

ANA LM
  • Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jboi said:
    1982 D 3.1 copper and a 1982 no mint date zinc 2.5.hi guys my question is do they look like smalls dates?

I don't see any of those being small dates.

• Options
    KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the hobby!

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

• Options

Those are large dates and please do not send them in.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

You know, it's the "small" things in this hobby that attract a lot of people...........

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

Ha ha no one is being Snarky at all! They just dont like to see somebody setting themself up for a big letdown...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file