Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Has anyone crossed 70's to PCGS?

I was thinking about sending in some modern 70's over to PCGS. They are in ANACS holders, will only be sending in the best....thanks!

Comments

  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Don't "hold your breath" waiting for ANACS 70's to cross in the same grade.

    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I would not waste my money. Your trying to cross to just get a tie lol.

    Investor
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

    punt

    Frank

    BHNC #203

  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 23,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I believe PCGS has an official policy that they will not cross an MS70 or PR70 unless the submitter is willing to accept a downgrade.

    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

    In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

    image
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I wonder how many misses in other TPG holders that PCGS has for "show and tell". I would think that any grader at anacs or NGC could properly grade an ASE as well as anyone at PCGS.

    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @TomB said:
    I believe PCGS has an official policy that they will not cross an MS70 or PR70 unless the submitter is willing to accept a downgrade.

    Incorrect:

    https://www.pcgs.com/news/pcgs-announces-new-crossover-policy-topgraded

  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 25,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Don't waste your money unless there is a BIG financial gain likely due to the PCGS holder.

    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 9,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Anacs would probably be the best shot vs. alternatives. I would think that crossovers would be easier/faster than raw coins as other company graders have already done some hard work. Why cac probably is not as hard a job as the initial raw coin grading at PCGS/NGC.

  • Options
    HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I would just buy the modern 70 coin in a PCGS holder and not waste my time or money trying to cross it.

  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 20,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @TomB said:
    I believe PCGS has an official policy that they will not cross an MS70 or PR70 unless the submitter is willing to accept a downgrade.

    In other words 70 cannot be a minimum grade. I thought this was the case as well, and maybe it was at some time, but there's no mention of it on the crossover fine print on the current submission form. I used to refer to the "70 Paradox," which results from no coin being worth 70 money unless the plastic says so, while at the same time not being verifiable as a 70 while in the 70 holder the TPGs put it in. Is the 70 Paradox now dead?

  • Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @messydesk said:

    @TomB said:
    I believe PCGS has an official policy that they will not cross an MS70 or PR70 unless the submitter is willing to accept a downgrade.

    In other words 70 cannot be a minimum grade. I thought this was the case as well, and maybe it was at some time, but there's no mention of it on the crossover fine print on the current submission form. I used to refer to the "70 Paradox," which results from no coin being worth 70 money unless the plastic says so, while at the same time not being verifiable as a 70 while in the 70 holder the TPGs put it in. Is the 70 Paradox now dead?

    This is no longer true PCGS has changed their policy, minimum grade of MS or PR70 is allowed. See Wabiit2313 post and link above.

  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 20,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @djm said:

    This is no longer true PCGS has changed their policy, minimum grade of MS or PR70 is allowed. See Wabiit2313 post and link above.

    D'oh! Thanks.

  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 23,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

    It looks like PCGS changed their policy in 2014 to allow for MS70 and PR70 minimum grade crossover attempts. I had not realized they had changed policy prior to this thread.

    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

    In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

    image
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Isn't the cross over at same grade still only about 30%?

  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 9,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Plus all the various crossover statistics include the "cross at any grade", so downgrades are included. Of course the 70 shot can be a tough shot on real money grades.

  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭✭

    It seems like a waste of money to me. The graders are going to be much more conservative looking through the plastic which almost certainly means PCGS will be very resistant to awarding a 70 on a crossover.

  • Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I would prefer to buy MS70/PR70's already in PCGS plastic; however, NGC sometimes get's a contract to grade certain issues directly from a mint. So, you're stuck with either cracking out and crossing over.

    So far, looking very carefully at which pieces I submit, I'm 10 for 10 in crossing PR70DCAM gold pieces and 12 for 20 in crossing PR70DCAM silver pieces -- all modern stuff, very recently issued.

  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @cardinal said:
    I would prefer to buy MS70/PR70's already in PCGS plastic; however, NGC sometimes get's a contract to grade certain issues directly from a mint. So, you're stuck with either cracking out and crossing over.

    So far, looking very carefully at which pieces I submit, I'm 10 for 10 in crossing PR70DCAM gold pieces and 12 for 20 in crossing PR70DCAM silver pieces -- all modern stuff, very recently issued.

    Sweet!

  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 5, 2017 7:04PM

    Don't c point if they about same in respective TPG price guides. Afraid would damage in handling / cross process lol.

    For my ICG and Anacs70 coins just use CW or CU in pricing these for shows. Then if lot of room open to possibly giving them 10 pct discount.

    Investor
  • Options
    Mb423Mb423 Posts: 92 ✭✭

    @291fifth said:
    Don't waste your money unless there is a BIG financial gain likely due to the PCGS holder.

    That would be the point :)

  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @cameonut2011 said:
    It seems like a waste of money to me. The graders are going to be much more conservative looking through the plastic which almost certainly means PCGS will be very resistant to awarding a 70 on a crossover.

    Everyone who looks at the coin has to evaluate it in the plastic so why should the graders get a pass? Other than hidden edge issues or a badly scratched/damaged slab they should be about 99% of the way there.

    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I know of two cases where the coin did not cross, was cracked and resubmitted, and got the 70. Cheers, RickO

  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 6, 2017 10:29AM

    @Cougar1978 said:
    Don't c point if they about same in respective TPG price guides. Afraid would damage in handling / cross process lol.

    For my ICG and Anacs70 coins just use CW or CU in pricing these for shows. Then if lot of room open to possibly giving them 10 pct discount.

    How do you make any sales of ICG and ANACS MS/PF70 coins anywhere near CW Trends or the PCGS price guide? The purchasers are beyond buried.

    P.S. What percent back of those numbers do you pay?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file