Home U.S. Coin Forum

The market is booming...

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 3, 2017 4:59PM in U.S. Coin Forum

With all the doom and gloom about the collectible coin market, I'm wondering where the market is doing well?

In addition to PCGS CAC and the coins Bill focuses on, it seems the collectible bullion market is doing well. Are there any others? Where is the coin money going?

Regarding collectible bullion, I'm wondering how many of the people that used to be feeders into coin collecting from Mint products are now choosing to focus on collectible bullion instead and if there is an onramp for these people into coins.

A few have been posted here like the Zombucks, Freedom Girl, etc. but there are many more. Here are some links:

NGC is even getting in on the action:

Comments

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 3, 2017 4:46PM

I'm not sure what is going to happen to this market and it could certainly all end up at melt, but it seems to be where at least some people are putting their money now.

Where else are people putting there money these days?

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this going to be a Franklin Mint-like craze? Where's the 60 Minutes story?

All glory is fleeting.
    edited July 3, 2017 4:55PM

@291fifth said:
    Is this going to be a Franklin Mint-like craze?

I'm not sure it will even last that long, but I don't know much about these collectors or the market, only that there seems to be a lot of activity. I wonder if this is where a lot of the ultra modern NCLT collectors went (aside from the ones going after 70s and registry sets).

Interestingly, there seems to be some revival of interest in Franklin Mint products from dark side collectors.

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree. Money is going into well designed coins and or rounds..My personal preference for coins are the U.K.'s QUEENS BEASTS
    see the LION below
    photo 2016 Lion proof_zpsygwru0dm.jpg

For silver rounds w/o a big mark-up....my preference are the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

photo Red Horse of War_zpsv3jlz1qa.jpg

photo White Horse_zps8wupyjm4.jpg

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

A few insanely huge collections have soaked up a ton of $$$ in the last several months.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    With all the doom and gloom about the collectible coin market, I'm wondering where the market is doing well?

In addition to PCGS CAC and the coins Bill focuses on, it seems the collectible bullion market is doing well. Are there any others? Where is the coin money going?

Regarding collectible bullion, I'm wondering how many of the people that used to be feeders into coin collecting from Mint products are now choosing to focus on collectible bullion instead and if there is an onramp for these people into coins.

A few have been posted here like the Zombucks, Freedom Girl, etc. but there are many more. Here are some links:

I would quit coin collecting before I would buy bullion. Actually when you are buying bullion you are no longer a coin collector anyway.

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

When does the OP run out of money, making all these constant/continuous mistakes???

• gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@Zoins said:

I would quit coin collecting before I would buy bullion. Actually when you are buying bullion you are no longer a coin collector anyway.

Bingo!

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    I'm not sure what is going to happen to this market and it could certainly all end up at melt, but it seems to be where at least some people are putting their money now.

Where else are people putting there money these days?

I would say buying stock in government subsidized projects.

edited July 3, 2017 6:55PM

@BillDugan1959 said:
    When does the OP run out of money, making all these constant/continuous mistakes???

I've been here over 10 years. I plan on being around for many more :)

And if you mean the restrike definition, I think I'm good company with our hosts.

• COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 4, 2017 1:36AM

The appeal is simple: Fresh "shiny" feels VERY good.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

Sadly for some folks, silver bullion is a gateway to other more seriously addictive metals...

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

I guess you are somewhat correct, by definition.
    A person buying collectible bullion pieces is technically an exonumia collector, not a "coin" collector.

The exonumia field seems to be holding up pretty well for the scarcer issues.

• chiefbobchiefbob Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@Zoins said:

Would you consider England's gold sovereigns, silver Brittanias or even the US Mint modern gold coins as strictly bullion? Or, exonumismatics?

Retired Air Force 1965-2000
    Vietnam Vet 1968-1969
  • Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 4, 2017 6:36AM

No it's not booming and the stagnant / falling bids confirm that. Nor is the general collector population buying into marketing gimmicks - refusing to have it stuck to them w the sticker fad especially if the coin some dull tarnished thing.

Considering on how Classic Commems have flatlined / been in coma for sometime and dollar market in tank are u kidding?

As far as bullion based material it was the hottest thing at a recent show I attended especially slabbed 69 AGB. Even raw ones did well - saw one guy by 3 for $3875 all 3. Picked up some 2017 $5 AGE NGC69 for 10 pct above melt! Yes Mods are numismatic coins and a new exciting trend.

Demand seems to be shifting away from expensive numismatic coins however demand for affordable key coins in VG / AU remains strong. Coin collecting is about filling the hole.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

When the overall economy turns up, so shall the coin market. Jobs = disposable income. With millions out of work and off the unemployment rolls (the half a$$ed measure used by the government), disposable income is scarce. As the economy grows, so will the hobby market.... Cheers, RickO

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@chiefbob said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Zoins said:

Would you consider England's gold sovereigns, silver Brittanias or even the US Mint modern gold coins as strictly bullion? Or, exonumismatics?

Bullion.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had to wear a steel cup to protect me from the precious metal which keeps kicking me in the proverbial nuts.

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    I had to wear a steel cup to protect me from the precious metal which keeps kicking me in the proverbial nuts.

Its okay. You can say "silver" here. :D

• mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

Slot Cars :p

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

GTAO shark cards

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

So it looks like bullion is doing well... Maybe there is a silver lining as collectible coins (e.g. saints) are steadily approaching bullion levels. Added liquidity? lol

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

@COCollector said:

Those look interesting. What do the reverses look like?

edited July 5, 2017 9:42AM

From the thread What is the biggest threat to a healthy coin market:

@baseball said:
    sport cards have been on a TEAR the last few years

edited July 5, 2017 9:49AM

@cameonut2011 said:

Queen's Beasts bullion... it's a series-of-10 designs. Different sizes and Proof versions. Widely available. Air-tite capsules too... ring type (shown) and Direct Fit.

And it goes without saying: Shop for best prices.

• roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 5, 2017 10:06AM

@baseball said:
    sport cards have been on a TEAR the last few years

All sport cards or just the cream of the crop?.....ie 1970's, 80's, 90's famous rookie cards in Gem Mint 9/10. Have the former $2 to $50 cards been screaming up in price too? A friend of mine bought a complete 1969 Topps set when he was 16 as soon as he heard the Mets won the World Series. The set cost $44. Never handled... and placed into an album decades ago. At the last market peak in 2007-2008 it was worth $3500-$4500. Last I looked a few years ago was around $2,000-$2500. Seems like it's still around $2,000 today. The centering is typical for that year and I was able to view photos of the top dozen or two keys. Nothing was ideally centered. I would imagine these cards are typical of 80-95% of the sports card market....and mostly "product."

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:

@COCollector said:

Actually it's the obverse

photo 2 oz queens beasts obv_zpsurc047u5.jpg

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

This bubble will also burst.

Frank

BHNC #203

edited July 6, 2017 12:01AM

@Treashunt said:
    This bubble will also burst.

Bubbles generally do, but it's good to know where the money is going and perhaps convince them to come over.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file