Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Fake coins and fake PCGS slabs now from Russia

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 1, 2017 1:50AM in U.S. Coin Forum

For everyone's information, fake PCGS slabs are now coming out of Russia. Here are two auctions in the following dark side thread:

• Item location: Казань, Республика Татарстан, Russian Federation
  • Item location: Krasnodar, Russian Federation

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/983262/phony-pcgs-holders-with-expensive-russian-coins-on-ebay

Comments

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

They never stop, do they.

----- kj
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Russia, North Korea, Iran and China, all of them rogue nations to one degree or the other. The one I have the hardest time understanding are the Chinese. In many ways they are getting it together and are an emerging world economic power. Yet they persist in tinpot country behavior. It's a reflection of a ongoing desire to control other human beings which seems to be in our DNA, although it's never been high on my list of lifetime goals.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not good!

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've posted this link in the past, enjoy!

https://flickr.com/photos/coinforgeryebay/page1/

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Time to call ..Terminix,,,,,:)

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hacked slabs.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, to be safe buy raw?

bob:)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    ArizonaRareCoinsArizonaRareCoins Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    So, to be safe buy raw?

Nah, to be safe use a QR Barcode scanner app to verify PCGS, NGC, ANACS and ICG holders.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have a scanner but does yours scan the barcode off your monitor?

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    So, to be safe buy raw?

No, That's a much bigger swamp than the certified market if the coin in question amounts to anything.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ArizonaRareCoinsArizonaRareCoins Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 1, 2017 10:03AM

@AUandAG said:
    I don't have a scanner but does yours scan the barcode off your monitor?

bob

Yes, it does read barcodes off the computer monitor. I use my android phone, but, you can get a free barcode reader for your computer.monitor. I'll PM some options.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are counterfeit operations from many, many countries... PCGS is trying very hard to stay ahead of them and doing well... the barcode scanner is a great idea by the way. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file