Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Unknown error - Pictures loaded now

Skoonce65Skoonce65 Posts: 9
edited June 30, 2017 11:28AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I have a 1961 Franklin Half. On the obverse the letters L and I are MISSING in the word LIBERTY. On the reverse the letters H and A are MISSING fromthe word HALF. These letters ARE NOT worn down or worn off. Has anyone seen this kind of error and where should I send it to be graded?

I can't get a photo to load from my phone. It says choose file but won't bring any up.

Thank you for your help!

Sam

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there a small concave "bite" out of the coin where these letters should be? If so, it is probably a "clip" error.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

If the coin is fully round, is it thin in the affected area if you look at it edge on? If so, then it is possibly a "tapered thin" error punched from the beginning or end of the strip.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

Damage is also possible. Does it look filed or buffed?

• Options

The thickness looks uniform and there is no evidence of filing or damage of any kind. The coin is also perfectly round. Can I text you the pics?

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

Greasy/filled die's?

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Skoonce65 said:
    The thickness looks uniform and there is no evidence of filing or damage of any kind. The coin is also perfectly round. Can I text you the pics?

Just click the top right icon in the text box to post a pic, you should get an answer pretty quick.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Skoonce65 .... Welcome aboard Sam.... Best bet is to post a picture - as stated above.... otherwise, we are just guessing... probably good guesses, but need a picture to confirm it. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

With a good set of clear photos/scans,
    we can identify it in a second.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options

I just emailed them to you Fred. Thanks!

• Options

Here are the pictures.

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tapered planchet, the rim is fully struck because the coin went through an upsetting mill, but the planchet is just a little thinner in the area where the letters did not strike up. I would expect the coin to be 5-10% underweight at most.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options

Tapered thin planchet.

• Options

Does that error increase the value?

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check your Email.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't keep the rest of us in suspense....did he strike it rich?

Man o man is it great to have a new poster with a mysterious error that turns out to be legit. regardless of value, that is a nice find and I have never seen one myself. I am not sure I would have known exactly what it was if I had found it.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice find

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

That coin is way cool. Never saw one before, but I knew how that could happen.

Congrats!

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great find... Congratulations... let us know what you will do with it....send it in, flip it etc....Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file