Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

NGC Signs Charlie Duke, Astronaut Who Walked on Moon, to Autograph Labels

SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not my cup of tea, as I always thought TPG signature slabs were gimmicky, but NGC has signed Charlie Duke to start autographing labels.  At least Charlie is a true historical person, not only as the 10th man on the Moon, but whenever you hear a replay of Apollo 11's Moon landing, the CapCom (the person talking from Mission Control, e.g. Houston) was Charlie.  

https://ngccoin.com/news/article/6014/charlie-duke-astronaut-signature/

FWIW, Charlie is a very nice guy with some fun stories. I've met him multiple times and worked with him for a day last year at a space event.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree that signature slabs are gimmicky... although there are many, many gimmick collectors out there. What is really great is that you got to talk to him one on one... Would love to hear, first hand, about being on the moon....Sure, I have seen the pictures, videos etc.... but to actually discuss it with someone that has been there is, in my opinion, priceless. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,553 ✭✭✭✭✭

This actually a way to combine two hobbies, coins and signatures. It is gimmicky, but I don't that NGC is in a good place right now with respect the U.S. market. Their coins still do well in the major auctions. An 1877 Twenty Cent Piece in PR-63 just brought over $20k in a Stacks' - Bowers auction (I don't know what's going on in THAT marekt), but on the retail dealer store and bourse areas, I think NGC has problems.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm curious what they pay for these endorsements. Probably a harmless connection in this case. When former mint directors, IRS commissioners, etc. get hired by a private firm to endorse something it doesn't strike me as appropriate usually.

• Options
    basetsbbasetsb Posts: 508 ✭✭✭✭

Anything they can do to make a dime, they will do.

@basetsb_coins on Instagram

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't mind having an Ike dollar in a signed slab like the one in the article. I'll wait until the price falls or I find one at a show that's cheap.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are there some astronaut coins coming up? Why have an astronaut sign a slab? If there is I will say....Yes...I have no interest in the Modern over proliferation of Commems!

• Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing against Charlie Duke -- I have the utmost respect for him -- but this is just pure garbage IMO and another step backwards for NGC. :s

And I hope PCGS is taking note to not lower themselves to this level of gimmicky crap. Someone has to stay on the high road of professional coin grading and authentication!

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

They wouldn't sign them if they didn't sell.

The things I don’t always agree with are always worth considering.

• Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 28, 2017 6:37PM

Given some house projects this year (including a new roof), my collecting budget for 2017 has been SERIOUSLY downgraded. C'est la vie.

I looked at that estimate ($30,000 - $40,000 plus 25% commission), and thought it was WAY too low. I figured it would sell somewhere in the $85,000 - $100,000 range (plus 25% commission). I had a friend who kept bidding up into the $80,000 range.

The Apollo 13 Flight Plan hammered at $220,000, e.g. WITH commission, it went for $275,000.

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

At least its more interesting than the Pawn Stars guy labels.

The more you VAM..

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file