Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Best way to handle a return claim (as buyer) on ebay?

BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't returned anything, much less a coin, on ebay in years (if I ever did...I can't remember).

Anyway, purchased a coin from the pics. Wasn't quite the same in person (in person, coin looks brighter/more noticeably dipped/cleaned).

Seller has a "no return" but, when I nicely contacted him (didn't threaten anything, no SNAD or anything), (s)he agreed to take it back...I pay postage. I'm ok with that. Was hoping to keep the coin as it is one I have been after a nice example for a few years, but no such luck.

So, I have it packaged and ready to go, but was wondering, since ebay has changed so much over the last few years, on the best way to protect myself on the return.

Do I start the ebay return now? Wait a few days until it is received? Anything I should do so as to not possibly negatively impact the seller since they are working with me and not fighting the return? I believe, if I choose a SNAD type of option, they get dinged? True/false?

If I choose a non-dinging option now, and something goes wrong on their end and things go upside down, have a lost any chance to battle it on my end?

TIA

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Comments

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Had one come back this week, all they did was say it did not fit with their other coins. Went smotth as silk and I have got it back up with the same listing as before. All I refunded was the orginal cost he paid all shipping.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let eBay know that the item is being returned under mutual agreement & include the tracking #. No biggy.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those few instances I have had to return a coin on ebay I haven't even opened an ebay case. I simply send an ebay message to the seller with tracking information and the date sent. Depending upon the value of the item, you may want Delivery Confirmation or Signature Confirmation.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've returned a few things over the years and always messaged the seller first via the eBay system, then shipped with sig. confirmation. never had a problem.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go ahead and open a case and just mark that you didn't like it. You will be charged return postage. If you mark "not as described" they the seller will be charged return postage.
    Once you open a case and print the label, eBay will track it and close the case when appropriate.

bob:)
    PS: if I'm wrong I'm sure I'll be corrected.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, I forgot to add that if you open a case and ebay tracks it the seller gets his final value fees back without doing anything. Otherwise he has to call and have them do it manually which is a pain, of course.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

That new "concierge" thing with eBay pays your return shipping automatically.

At least the first 5 returns each quarter. You pay the $5.06 thru PP and ebay puts the money back in your PP acct.

And those labels you print................

You just put the label on the package and no waiting in line. Hand it to the postal clerk and walk out.
    Tracking is also automatic.

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know that at least recently, a return that the buyer marks "not as described" could affect the seller's ratings and top rated seller status. I know they made a lot of changes recently, so that may have changed too.

Also, they may say "no return," but unless it's bullion I'm pretty sure eBay and/or PayPal will make sure that a return is possible.

You should initiate the return through eBay promptly. A short heads up message to the seller is nice though. If it were me, I would just say "changed my mind" when making the return as to not hurt the seller. Taking accurate photos of coins isn't easy for everyone and if they take the return and promptly refund you (which eBay will ensure), then you'll be good.

That said, if you thought they were intentionally misrepresenting the item, I might consider the "not as described" option. No other way to punish those kinds of sellers really. But it would have to be a major misrepresentation of the item for me to do that.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

I returned a gold coin recently, the pictures were inferior to the actual one, and I just bought a priority/insured label through paypal rather than get the discounted return label. They make it easy.

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭✭✭

It used to be Signature Confirmation was required to demonstrate proof of return receipt over a certain dollar amount ($750 now?). I haven't returned anything in years and would call ebay to verify before mailing the coin.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks.
    I actually just went to the PO today and did the shipment there and not through ebay or paypal, but I will go back and start the return on ebay and enter the tracking # and hope that is enough.
    Amount was under $400.

Note: Seller is a dealer, Very good feedback and I do not think they intentionally misprepresented the pics....I just think they don't take the best (it wasn't bad but the pics were darker and didn't show the dipping/cleaning that was obvious when in-hand).

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OPA said:
    Let eBay know that the item is being returned under mutual agreement & include the tracking #. No biggy.

With the 'start a return' feature, shipping label will be provided by ebay. Not sure if they make the seller pay for it. Instruct seller that you will reimburse him via paypal if he gets hit with postage by ebay. Tell him necessary to go through the return process to document tracking on the return.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting.... I have never had to return an ebay purchase....just good fortune for me. Of course, I do not sell there and buy infrequently. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file