Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Let's see some....oh... HALF CENTS !!!!

topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 24, 2017 9:01AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Just to be different and get into the less popular series. :)

I have only one, but the overstrike fascinates me.

Comments

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've got a few in my personal collection:

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't let that chin cut you!

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

Walkerguy21D, nice 1854!

I neglected to put in a description, but except for the 1796 and the 1831, all of them are proofs, several are circulated proofs. All of the proofs are Originals except for the 1845, 1848, and 1852 which are Restrikes.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

1795 Cohen-6a half cent with clear undertype of a Talbot. Allum and Lee Cent visible.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ProfLizProfLiz Posts: 261 ✭✭✭✭

My favorite series! Workhorse coins with tales to tell.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

NGC under graded this 1835 half cent as an MS-63, Brown. I think it's an MS-64, Brown. Many, many moons ago this coin was in Jim McGuigan's half cent die variety collection. Jim has been #1 on the PCGS half cent registry for a long time.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 24, 2017 3:12PM

These little sisters are a fun part of a type set.

The 1794 is a cool coin, but like many of these, the planchet has some roughness, especially on the reverse. The 1804 is a coin I probably should have passed on. There are better examples to be had for what I paid. The irregularity (fingerprint?) in the left obverse field bothers me.

I'm perfectly happy with the 1834 as I think it's tremendously strong for the grade and for the type. The 1853 is OK, but I'll probably look to replace/upgrade this one at some point with a gem-quality coin.

In order, the grades are PCGS VF20, AU58, MS65BN CAC, MS63BN CAC. Someday I'll add the Liberty Cap Left, but it's tough to afford one that is in any condition resembling a nice coin.

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 24, 2017 4:34PM

These are the only two half cents I currently own

The reed marks on the 1802 are from being struck on a cut down large cent planchet.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

LOL - well jdimmick, if you are only going to own two, those are the two to own!
    Very choice examples of both of these dates that are normally found dark and rough as a cob.

Everyone else has been posting beautiful examples of their little half sisters as well - great thread!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

My type piece.

photo 1804 half cent obv_zps8oyilnrp.jpg

photo 1804 half cent rev_zpsksv9weyq.jpg

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful Coins!

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    CyndieChildressCyndieChildress Posts: 429 ✭✭✭

@RichieURich said:
    I've got a few in my personal collection:

A few? Lol
    Very, very nice :wink:

I hope to obtain one in my near future :smiley:

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭✭✭

Larry

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some beautiful half cents here.... This is a coin I do not have....not sure why. However, I will endeavor to rectify this deficiency in my collection... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Paying in coins in the early days must have been quite an experience.

• Options
    CCDollarCCDollar Posts: 717 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Some beautiful half cents here.... This is a coin I do not have....not sure why. However, I will endeavor to rectify this deficiency in my collection... ;) Cheers, RickO

I quite agree ricko...some very nice coins and I see one on my bucket list...
    CC

Nickel Triumph...My Led Zepps
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now with a Green Bean...
    :)

• Options
    basetsbbasetsb Posts: 508 ✭✭✭✭

@basetsb_coins on Instagram

• Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fun thread and cool variety of coins!
    If only some of these could speak and tell their tales.....

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    sjcoinssjcoins Posts: 69 ✭✭✭

One of my favorite

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file