Home U.S. Coin Forum

Coin Albums- please consider responding

coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please advise if there are any series of coins that you use an album to house the coins. This can be a secondary set or a just for fun set. Let's limit this to just US coins -all denominations including commems and even 7070 type sets albums. If you want to reference the album maker, that is fine too.

If you do not use albums, is it because you collect slabs only ? Or in the alternative, do you view that the whole concept of set collecting with an album style approach as out of fashion?

Many thanks ... I will share some observations later after we have some responses.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Comments

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Albums:

Easy:

Barber Dimes, quarters & half dollars.
    Merc dimes
    Washington Quarters, states.
    Stand Lib quarters,
    Indian Head cents, Lincoln cents, jeff nickels, Buff nickels.

And others

Frank

BHNC #203

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Albums:
    Lincoln cents, Memorial cents
    Buffalo Nickels
    Jefferson Nickels
    Indian Head cents
    American Silver Eagles

bob:)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a State Quarters Album and a Presidents Dollars Album.

Both were gifts from my kids and I have faithfully filled them. P&D for State Quarters from circulation and Proofs for the dollars as filling from circulation was not practical.

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

Currently, the only album I have is a Dansco 7070.'it's the only I "collect" other than proof PAE's.
    I used to have complete sets of higher grade Flying Eagle, Indian and Lincoln wheats. They started in Whitman folders, then progressed to Whitman Bookshelfs then finished them up in Dansco. That's what they were in when I realized how boring they were to me.
    My Dad sold Dansco, Whitman and Harco albums at the shows. Dansco was hands down the best sellers.

• zippcityzippcity Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭

Albums: Franklins, Silver Eagles.

Save our Country. Positive BST: Collectorcoins- Mariner020648- profharoldhill- coppertoning- agentjim007- cucamongacoin- ElKevo- mercurydimeguy- Utahcoin-AJAAN-AUandAG- surfinxhi- ZoidMeister- TwoSides2acoin-
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't add to albums any longer, but have:
    Buffalo nickels
    Two sets of Flying Eagle/IHCs
    Peace Dollars

I own albums for walkers and large cents, but don't have any in there - most are slabbed or in 2x2's. I'm casually seeking an old album for my Barber quarters.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭

All circulating coins after the classic series, except Franklin Halves (sold that one). Classic series being Mercs, Buffs, SLQ, Walkers. Lincolns with memorial reverse.

Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm turning from albums to slabs, mainly to make liquidation easier upon my demise :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mercury Dimes
    Washington Quarters
    Roosevelt Dimes
    Franklins
    Standing liberty Quarters
    Walkers

I have two good lcs's where they have GOOD junk silver and dont really look through their piles. I add/upgrade as I find nice examples. Working on the walkers and SLQ right now.

• JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use Dansco albums for:

Lincoln Cents
    Jefferson Nickels
    Roosevelt Dimes
    Washington Quarters
    Franklin Half Dollars
    Kennedy Half Dollars
    Ike Dollars
    SBA Dollars
    Sac Dollars
    President Dollars
    Modern Commemorative Dollars

Of the above I also have a slabbed set of Franklin Halves.

Older sets are all in slabs; the cost of the coins justifies the expense.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭

I collect slab coins and keep them in Eagle brand albums. They hold 9 slab coins per page.
    I get to decide what makes an interesting set.

• liefgoldliefgold Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the idea of an album set, so I too use the 9 slabs per page albums. I prefer the Lighthouse brand over the Eagle.
    I also like the flexibility of creating your own set.

liefgold
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I collect slabs, raw and have albums. I really do not add to my albums anymore. I have dimes, Kennedy's, Franklins.... I thought about an ASE album, but never started one. I do have wooden coin chests with felt lined drawers to hold/display some coins.... and cardboard storage boxes filled with mint/proof sets that I have not looked at -or added to - in years. Also a bunch of Prestige or Special sets that I acquired in a group buy... Cheers, RickO

• jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't build sets any longer, but bought a partial Indian head cent from a customer last year and completed the whole set in UNC, all cracked from slabbed coins, placed them in a Dansco just for something to do.

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use a Dansco for my color coin date set of Washington 25c, Sac $1, my duplicate raw MS Buffs, and some foreign stuff.

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 24, 2017 8:49AM

edited June 24, 2017 8:49AM

woopsie. Lemme see if I can turn that around. Now that is weird. The image is fine on the computer but inverts if I post......
    They must be valuable errors. ;)

• rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭✭✭

Albums: raw Lincoln cents and Buffalo nickels. Everything else is in 2x2s or slabs.

edited June 24, 2017 8:52AM

Only use I can think of for silver rounds.

I don't like silver and especially mistrust the marketability of rounds in the future.

Except of course the silver Eagles.

• MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭

I love albums, I have them for most series.
    Mercury Dimes complete.
    Standing Liberty complete
    Barber Dimes
    Barber Quarters
    Seated dimes
    Seated Quarters
    Bust Dimes
    Bust Quarters
    Liberty Walking
    Indian Head Cents
    Buffalo Nickels
    Liberty Nickels
    Large Cents
    Statehood Quarters

Derek

EAC 6024
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

I built a VF-AU set of coins in a Dansco 7070, but substituted coins I was interested in for ones that I was not interested in (such as an 1883 Hawaiian quarter in place of a Statehood quarter and a Japanese yen in place of a Morgan dollar). Also, the Barber half dollar series is one that I had built in original VF-EF in the double Library of Coins albums. Lastly, and I realize this is not a US album, but I have a Whitman Classic for a Newfoundland type set.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 24, 2017 11:30AM

I think it's safe to say we all like and enjoy our coin albums. And why not? They're fun and, for me at least, playing around with albums and cheap coins always seem to spark memories from when I was a kid looking for treasure in my Dad's pocket change. There's a little bit of the "kid" in all us coin collectors. After all isn't that when it started? Slabs are great. They serve a purpose. But I think we can all agree that filling holes in an album is just plain old FUN! And that's what it's really all about.

• basetsbbasetsb Posts: 508 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 24, 2017 11:45AM

I use Dansco albums for all my coins I collect, besides duplicates, or 90%. I think I have around 20 albums

@basetsb_coins on Instagram

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use Eagle brand holders to house my 19th century Presidential Campaign medalet collection. Some of my sets that I formed when I was very young collector, like Lincoln cents (1909-1940) are still in the old albums I used back then.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool to read which albums forum members have going.

I too enjoy albums and have a handful complete and seversl in progress. Just started another to add to the mix- a circulated Walking Liberty half set.

Dansco's now but really just a continuation of the blue Whitman's I started as a kid many years ago.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that I have stepped down from the soap box, I did not see anyone mention Morgan Dollars yet... May have just been an oversight

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

I mentioned a Morgan dollar! However, my mention was that I omitted it from a type set. :#

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fair enough TomB... I was thinking just in terms of collecting the Morgan Dollar series in albums... Whether it Whitman, Dansco or something more vintage such as Library of Coins

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 24, 2017 12:45PM

I enjoy the classic Whitman blue 3 page folding albums, and I collect most of the classic series in them:

• Lincoln Cent 1909-1940, 1941-1974, 1975+ (S VDB and 22 plain are in 2x2s)
    • Two Cent and Nickel Three Cent
    • Half Dime 1794-1873 (1801 and extra die varieties are in 2x2s pocket pages)
    • Shield Nickel
    • Liberty Nickel
    • Buffalo Nickel
    • Jefferson Nickel 1938-1961, 1962-1995, 1996+
    • Bust Dime
    • Liberty Seated Dime 1837-1862, 1863-1891
    • Barber Dime
    • Mercury Dime
    • Roosevelt Dime 1946-1980P, 1980D+
    • Barber Quarter 1892-1905, 1906-1916
    • Washington Quarter 1932-1945, 1946-1959, 1960+
    • Barber Half 1892-1903, 1904-1915
    • Liberty Standing Half 1916-1936, 1937-1947
    • Franklin Half
    • Canada Cent, 5 cent silver, nickel, dime

I have 2 copies of some albums; these are my grandfather's collection.
    I own about 4 slabs - 2 x $20, $10 and a half dime from ebay that was in a slab.

• nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have the two Dansco books of Morgans going in my group Mr. Kat, one complee and the other a few shy of that. The keys are tough, and a few are slabs.

Love the heavy feel to these books!

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

In all my years of collecting, I have never been enthralled with Morgan Dollars. They have big place in our monetary and political history because of the 16 to 1 arguments over the free coinage of silver, but spending a ton of money on a date and mint collection has never interested me. I tried putting together a one a year collection a couple times and lost interest.

I am pleased with what I have which includes an “all mints” set, a set of designs for the 1878 dollars, one GSA CC dollar and a Proof piece for my type set. Beyond that I’m not attracted to them.

BUT I can tell you that, as a dealer, there is a lot of money to made in buying and selling them. All of them are fairly easy to find – all it takes is money unless you want them “POP-1” condition. So servicing a want list for a customer is fairly easy.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

We have most of the modern series, plus some earlier ones, and the 7070, albums.

Collecting from "pocket change" and bank runs, with my son over the years, we have used, and still have, the Lincoln Cents, Jefferson nickels, roosevelt dimes, Washington quarters, Kennedy halves, and Ike dollars.
    Those are all dansco.

We also have a couple of Franklin half albums, an IHC album, mercury dime, and a couple of SAEs. All but 1 of those albums are danscos.

The IHC album was purchased because I was given a partial set of IHCs, heavily circulated, from an uncle a few years ago, so I got the dansco to do with my son on those.

The franklins were because they were affordable and I just wanted to do them. One is BU and the other is circ/bu (stuff I found in bank rolls or dupes.

The mercs were inherited from my grandmother after she passed....went to an uncle and then to me when he could no longer see enough to do any collecting/enjoyment. The old "album" they were in was falling apart (one of those cheapy "press in and see only 1 side of the coin") albums. So, in honor of my grandmother, I moved them all into a dansco and added a few that we had.

The SAEs were because they were fun...I started them the year my son was born, got the previous ones, and have kept it up to date. Decided on 2 albums. 1 for him, 1 for me. No proofs were harmed in filling the albums (ie....I didn't want to put proofs in there).

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• basetsbbasetsb Posts: 508 ✭✭✭✭

@coinkat said:
    Now that I have stepped down from the soap box, I did not see anyone mention Morgan Dollars yet... May have just been an oversight

Yes, i have a morgan dansco album

@basetsb_coins on Instagram

• dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭

Whitman Barber Halves 1892-1906 is complete in VG10-XF.
    Standing Liberty Quarters Whitman book just for a place to house the dozen or so circs that I have.
    I own several old largely empty albums of various kinds including a US Gold Type.
    2 or 3 coins in an album is a fun way to look at them, highly preferable to a stapled cardboard holder or a clear flip.
    I'd love to have complete album sets of everything, but they'd be worth 50% of what I'd have to pay to fill them.

We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

-Roosevelt Dime Dansco folder filled with "junk" , always upgrading
    -Dansco ASE album in progress, 50% complete. Nineties can be tough
    -Littleton Statehood Quarters folder 90% complete - AU/BU coins
    -Little clad Washington quarters folders Vol. 1 and 2 about 20% complete
    -Littleton ATB quarters pretty much current

I will run through one or two rolls of quarters from various places per week. 1965 - 1998 quarters seem hard as heck to find with rims and even wear characteristics. I have gotten pretty excited about a vf coin with rims.

• ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 24, 2017 8:01PM

Whitman 'Bookshelf' Album
    Lincoln Cents 1909-1958
    Buffalo Nickels
    Jefferson Nickels
    Rosie Dimes
    Washington Quarters
    Classic Commem Type.

Whitman 'Classic' Album (by Western Publishing)
    Lincoln Cents 1959-
    Jefferson Nickels
    Washington Quarters
    SHQ (Whitman 9135) (Titled 'United States' Quarters)
    ABT (Whitman 9135) (Titled 'United States' Quarters)
    Franklin Halves
    Kennedy Halves
    Ike Dollars
    SBA Dollars
    ASE
    Mod Commem Halves 1982- (Whitman 9146) (Titled 'United States' Halves)
    20th Century Type

7070 Type

I love Whitman products as manufactured by 'Western Publishing', Racine Wisconsin.
    I actively collect the 'Bookshelf' and tri folders as well.

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭✭

I use older whitman classic albums and many Library of coins albums.

• Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

This thread reminded me about the 1856 Flying Eagle cent hole in the Whitman folders. It had a cardboard plug in there that you would have to pop out to fill the hole.
    By the time I got around to buying an 1856, I was into a Dansco album. I never noticed there was no hole for it in that album until I bought the coin!

• I also use the older blue Whitman folders - when I was a kid, my grandpa got me into coin collecting, and there was only Whitman folders. After returning to the hobby this year, I see there are Harris folders, Dansko albums, etc. Sitting at the table and sorting through nickels and pennies and plugging them into holes (even when they don't want to go in) feels nice to me now and re-connects me to my grandpa. When I would see him in my youth, he always had a couple Buffalo nickels and a Franklin half for me.

I use Whitman albums for State quarters + National Park quarters. I have 2 filled up to this year and will probably collect more. I have Jefferson folders, Lincoln wheats, and Indian Head + Anerican Flying Eagle.

I collect Morgans, Franklins, and Walking Liberties but slabbed.

• Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

Danso
    -Franklin Half dollars
    -Peace Dollars
    -Amercant Silver Eagles date set

-state quarters

• ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DESooner said:
    ... feels nice to me now and re-connects me to my grandpa.

Same here, my Dad. He purchased for me the Lincoln 1909-1940, 1941-1975 tri-folders.
    Circa 1972, I still have them...

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

State quarters PDSS Intercept Album
    MS Silver Roosevelts FB " "
    MS Washingtons 32 - 98 " "
    Type set 7070 Dansco
    Jeff. Nickel from circulation Dansco
    Ms Silver Roosevelts Nice toners Dansco
    SBA set Dansco (I really don't know why, cheap at the time maybe)
    Seated dime set 1838 1860 Blue Whitman album
    Slabbed MS 20th C type set Lighthouse slab pages/three ring binder--will probably use this method more often
    Obsolete Bank notes currency pages and three ring binder
    Various smaller sets/subsets in 2 X 2's, pages, three ring binder
    4 or 5 Whitman folders full of coins inherited from my uncle who got me started in all this

• uscoinguyuscoinguy Posts: 150 ✭✭✭

As a kid in the 60's my dad had what I thought (at that time) were the awesome Whitman books with the clear plastic slides. I had some used Whitman folders and every time I opened them a few coins would fall out of their spots. The coins were so worn they did not fit tightly into the cutouts. To this day still remember how frustrating that was, but at least I had the sense not to tape them to the holder. :) Now I have mainly Dansco books.

Always trying to learn more

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file