Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I Heard PCGS Just Gave Pokeplayer101 The Boot...

labloverlablover Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can Anyone Else Confirm? Wow, why?

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Comments

• Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭

Was there a reason why? Did someone violate a rule? If so, what was it?

PCGS runs the board and I am not objecting, I just don't understand what the offense was?

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 23, 2017 10:15PM

@rainbowroosie said:
    Was there a reason why? Did someone violate a rule? If so, what was it?

PCGS runs the board and I am not objecting, I just don't understand what the offense was?

Agreed Billy, It's PCGS' sand box and they own the show. I have no issue with that and understand it's their decision, guess thay have to run the business as they see fit. I just don't understand.

Right now I'm just sad, and feel great hurt for a 16 year old.... :'(

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS had said before, and then seemed to turn a blind eye, that they considered there to be an age limit ( I forget what it was...I think it may have been 18 but I could be wrong).

So, he said he was 16. He showed proof. They could boot him just for that.
    Moral of that story....follow the rules and never give in the internet trolls demanding proof for anything.

Also, he posted information about a dealer.
    They could boot him for that.

They could boot him for anything, as it is their forum and their playground. I know that makes a lot of people mad....just look at all the alts that pop up from banned members who couldn't remain civil or follow the guidelines.

End of the day, he won't be here to stick up for himself and there are some that will continue to attack him (ie....see some other threads that are still here).

Also end of the day....that dealer, and his type of communication and interactions, was exposed and showed me someone I would NEVER deal with now that I see how he handled the situation and himself.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭✭

It apears that all of pokeplayer post in threads that are still present have been deleated also

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 23, 2017 11:28PM

@lablover said:
    Can Anyone Else Confirm? Wow, why?

If you go to his profile page, it shows the user banned image.

https://forums.collectors.com/profile/Pokeplayer101

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

Probably because it was hijacked by attention hos

• Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭

I had read most of the thread, but not posted in it. I tend to agree with @Kove, there was an element of stalking the dealer which was frankly a little alarming.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    CyndieChildressCyndieChildress Posts: 429 ✭✭✭

I didn't sign on to the forum for a couple days because the drama was a bit much.!.! It was a funny thread in the beginning but went south from there :-/

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sure that our host can "see" much more of the goings on here than we see :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did they delete his registry sets as well?

• Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭

Many lessons to be learned... the first of which is to listen to knowledgeable people and learn from the past. Sorry it got so out of hand, but way too much drama.

Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That was a strange thread.... and it did get a bit out of hand.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

While it was interesting and entertaining, it's good that thread got the boot. It was very useful in exposing the underbelly in this forum too, lots of brave keyboard warriors, wannabe doctorate lawyers (and jurors) and general knowitall trolls.

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was going to finish reading that big ole thread this morning. Now it's gone. I made it about a dozen pages in and some aspects were getting out of line. Most of which were from others as he really did not post much. Why did he get the boot? For starting the thread, his age or did he start problems towards the end?

• Options
    JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been away on vacation. I guess I missed a doozy. :lol:

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bye Felicia

Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options

@kranky said:
    I had read most of the thread, but not posted in it. I tend to agree with @Kove, there was an element of stalking the dealer which was frankly a little alarming.

This was not from the kid though.

• Options
    Eeyore84Eeyore84 Posts: 80 ✭✭✭

Jason Wendt

~Midwest Coin Exchange
    Vivid_coins
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Plus there are probably legal issues connected to underage kids posting here, probably the terms of service agreement stated them.

• Options
    edited June 24, 2017 7:55AM

@Eeyore84

I don't agree with him using the words "scam" or "ripped off," but his allegations appeared to be substantially true and were not refuted by the dealer's surrogate. Unless the thread took a rapid turn after I stopped posting to it, I didn't see any violation.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

just as well the person is gone.

• Options

@logger7 said:
    Plus there are probably legal issues connected to underage kids posting here, probably the terms of service agreement stated them.

There are several kids that post here, including some that outed themselves in that thread. PCGS didn't target any of them. I can think of multiple YNs here in the past, and I don't think any of them have ever been booted. There is something specific about this poster that irked PCGS.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

That thread brought out the worst in lots of folks. Ugly all around. I feel bad for the kid, but can't begin to understand how someone his age has that much $$ to throw around. That's a different world that I've ever lived in.

As a former admin of an unrelated forum, it surprised me how easy it was to become involved in a lawsuit for libel. As a result, we would shut down any thread that had the potential to harm a person's reputation or business. It sometimes resulted in the loss of useful consumer information, but that's how it was.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 24, 2017 9:12AM

@Kove said:
    It was a weird thread to begin with. However, it really started going off the rails when people were talking about strangers confronting the dealer at his booth in Baltimore, and then posting photos of the people in the booth. Lots more downside than upside at that point.

It wasn't strange at all. No one here brought up that idea of approaching the seller at the show for discussions. The seller's bourse buddy chimed in and suggested/urged that forum members seek them out at their Baltimore table to get the full story. Their idea...not anyone here. Give him all the credit.

The kid went over the line in that thread when he made some "unfortunate" comments about another well-respected dealer out of the blue. There's no 2nd get out of jail free card for pulling them into your show. Unfortunately, some of our members have copied that "dealer" reference and pasted it into other threads.....it still lives. I'd recommend you go and edit those away if you quoted the kid in any other surviving thread. It's easy for the mods to wipe away the records of a member. But anything from that member that gets quoted by someone else....those remain forever.

I agree with Bochiman that the thread exposed a lot of people you might not want to deal with...and the underbelly of the coin business which has always been there. It's a free world. Deal with those you want...while understanding all the risks. That thread certainly high-lighted many of the risks and attitudes out there today. If that point got across to our Instagram Collectors/Dealers, it was useful.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Posting the pictures of the guys at the Baltimore show was also not a wise move.

• Options
    edited June 24, 2017 8:40AM

• Options
    edited June 24, 2017 9:13AM

@Martin said:
    It apears that all of pokeplayer post in threads that are still present have been deleated also

Unfortunately, anyone who quoted/pasted a pokeplayer post from one thread to another, those STILL REMAIN as they belong to the forum member who did the copying/pasting.

I PM'd the members who carried that negative dealer "pokey quote" into other threads. That cleans up one thread. But, there may be other ones.

• Options
    edited June 24, 2017 8:55AM

@Wabbit2313 said:
    Posting the pictures of the guys at the Baltimore show was also not a wise move.

Maybe. At least not from a professional security standpoint once you're outside the convention center and open yourself to more risks. On the other hand, look at all coin show photo ops that get posted here after FUN, ANA, and other big shows. I doubt that everyone in those photos signs an approval to have their faces posted here...and into the internet.

The dealer(s) in question have their own photos on Facebook and probably Instagram too....where their coin dealings are linked. I would never want to link my face with the fact that I deal in coins. How each person handles that is different. I wouldn't think Julian, QDB, or Larry Stack have much of an issue with their faces being posted anywhere. It's all free advertising $$ to them.

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 24, 2017 12:06PM

alt for BNB?

At the March Balt show a dealer approached me to have me tell him about any $100K+ coins I had access to. When I asked "Copper, silver, or gold?" he appeared to hesitate before answering. My attention wavered. >:)

corrected from previously garbled above

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whoever made the decision to remove that person from the forum deserves a big Thank You!

• Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

Having the coins graded elsewhere probably played some part perhaps, but who knows.

• Options
    KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:
    Whoever made the decision to remove that person from the forum deserves a big Thank You!

& a raise + promotion.

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reminded me of a.......................

• Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ElmerFusterpuck said:
    While it was interesting and entertaining, it's good that thread got the boot. It was very useful in exposing the underbelly in this forum too, lots of brave keyboard warriors, wannabe doctorate lawyers (and jurors) and general knowitall trolls.

Most useful to me are the threads where the central discussion is on a specific coin and/or an issue of professional ethics, and the dealers put forth their take on the situation. Such threads are useful to determine which dealers one should either never deal with or, in the case where they have a coin you desire, exercise maximum caution.

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭

I have a feeling the drama was just getting started and I don't think the ending was going to be a happy one for the young chap.

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

@Martin said:

Lol, aww, maybe all his sympathizers here can have a memorial for him and send him money, maybe have the mayor and governor honor him by giving him keys to the city and state, to bad Big O not in office or he might be up for Medal of Honor... Putin said he give the kid asylum, so at least he got that goin for him...

keceph `anah
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭

End was precipated by the photos of the dealer at Baltimore along with using some not nice language towards his safety;;;;
    My dealer hit the nail.. Poke was using forum members in attempt to make himself whole for his own bad decision
    Not only Scammers in BST and also in forum using the goodness of members
    PCGs saved us from ourselves

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rawteam1 said:

@Martin said:

Lol, aww, maybe all his sympathizers here can have a memorial for him and send him money, maybe have the mayor and governor honor him by giving him keys to the city and state, to bad Big O not in office or he might be up for Medal of Honor... Putin said he give the kid asylum, so at least he got that goin for him...

Godd***! Did someone put green bile in your Wheaties this morning??? Or maybe some putrid bitter kimshi? Did Big O come around and take your trike, toy guns or something?

Judging by your other posts in that thread and on the forums in general, it seems doubtful that you collect anything coin-related. Guess it's more fun to mat down the grass under a musty bridge and lurch/lumber out at passerby once in awhile.

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

I Heard PCGS Just Gave Pokeplayer101 The Boot...

I don't care, see ya

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file