Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Am I just going to the wrong banks?................

DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭

Or have SAC/NA/Prez dollars completely stopped circulating?

I used to be able to walk in & they'd either have loose ones in their trays or rolls either from the Mint or customer turn-ins. And the Post Office used to have stamp machines that would make change using SBA or golden dollars.

Now those Post Office machines are gone, and no local banks I frequent have any gold dollars.

Did they send them all back to the government for storage, and, with no new ones being provided to banks/circulating, are there relatively few remaining out there that people have/return anymore?

I've been asking in the hope of finding a few from back between 2010-2013 to help a fellow Forum member who helped me out, but there aren't any to be found.......... :(

Other than widen my bank search, any other non-dealer/show suggestions on where to find them still hanging around?

Thx!

Comments

• Options
    zippcityzippcity Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭

On my last visit to the hospital (approx. 2+years ago) the vending machines spit out nothing but $1 coins.

Save our Country. Positive BST: Collectorcoins- Mariner020648- profharoldhill- coppertoning- agentjim007- cucamongacoin- ElKevo- mercurydimeguy- Utahcoin-AJAAN-AUandAG- surfinxhi- ZoidMeister- TwoSides2acoin-
  • Options

At my age, I try to AVOID hospitals!! ;)

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh goodness, I curse the beasts - I want Ikes an' all they offer usually are the prexibux. Couple of years ago I did hae a '22 Peace waiting for me at one of my banks though.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Every now and then I spot a few of the "golden" dollars in the cash registers of fast food places. I used to ask for them in change but no longer do. I've completely lost interest in them.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2017 2:10PM

I read the above or a similar article several years ago, yet here we are still......... and even MORE unwanted dollars in the vaults! PLUS, technically, the Prezbucks series has "ended", yet NA $1's continue to be minted.

Wouldn't the FIRST thing the Federal Reserve should try be to allow any newly-minted $1 coins to go into circulation once again (but mixed in with existing inventory, so collectors who wanted pure rolls of each Prez/NA would still have to buy them at a premium from the Mint)? That might at least again peak some collecting interest by the average guy (who might try to get ones they couldn't previously to complete collections), which might in turn improve somewhat the level of acceptance?

If not, then melt MOST of the inventoried coins, write them off the books, and raise the value of the remaining now lower- mintage coins, which they could once again sell on the Mint's website? A win-win!

And maybe with the melted metal, we can start a FOURTH series with something even MORE American & publicly-accepted.... Maybe Baseball teams? Start with 4 or 5 a year, starting with the first World-Series-winning team/city, and work your way up until the most recent. Cubs fans could once again use the "wait till next year" (or 5 or 6 years) mantra until it's THEIR turn to get a Cubs coin minted. Just think of the upside potential!! And, just like some ex-Presidents have to wait until their coin gets minted, cities/teams who have never won would also either have to wait, or sit forlornly at the end of the line for their turn......

Who's with me?!................................. B)

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 23, 2017 10:02PM

Locate bank branches that are nearest to commuter train stops. The nice, and PRETTY, manager at my bank always has rolls, and rolls, and....rolls of dollars waiting just for me. I do enjoy roll searching Presidential Dollars. I asked her why she has a seemingly unlimited supply. She told me that the train station down the street gets them from the government, can't get rid of them and then takes them to the bank where she keeps them just for me.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 24, 2017 6:45AM

I have found that fewer are circulating in my area, too. Once upon a time it was easy to get rolls from somewhere around, and the few in the coin tray, too.

As far as obtaining them:

I think min order is $2,000 of them (2x $1,000 box).

Some banks might do a $1,000. However, you need to take all of them immediately and have a second dump bank (not branch) to get rid of them.

Many banks don't want to order them because they don't want to be stuck with $1,000 to $2,000 worth of coins that might sit in a vault until they get sent back all because a customer promised to pick them up but did not.

-> always pick up the coins the day they arrive or the next day if the same day is impossible. (they take up valuable vault space for stuff they'd rather have in there like cents dimes nickels)

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 24, 2017 7:03AM

@DBSTrader2 said:

Other than widen my bank search, any other non-dealer/show suggestions on where to find them still hanging around?

Ecuador.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see them in the change trays at my banks.... never asked for rolls. Vending machines at Post Offices also give them in change.... They may have rolls if you ask nicely. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:
    The nice, and PRETTY, manager at my bank always has rolls, and rolls, and....rolls of dollars waiting just for me.

Is that her in your avatar? :D

• Options

I promised Mrs. Hydrant that I would never reveal the true identity of my "Avatar Lady." Otherwise, she told me that under no circumstances whatsoever would she allow me to use that picture of her for my avatar. So I can't tell you, or anybody else who it is.

• Options
    edited June 24, 2017 9:42AM

And don't you miss the time around here when the avatar pictures were, ah,....bigger? I do. She looked so much better when she was enlarged. It was so much easier to grasp the full effect of her better points and natural God given assets and all. Ahhh.........

• Options
    1940coupe1940coupe Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭

LOL all this time I thought this Hot Lady is a coin collector ! but your just a hairy man

• Options

She most definitely is a coin collector. And a paper currency collector. Credit cards are also of special interest to her. I know because I'm her main acquisition source. She's my only client and it keeps me busy just supplying her collecting needs. Also, I'm really not all that hairy because I keep pulling it out as a consequence of trying to keep up with her never ending collecting demands. Did I mention it's all worth it? It is. I wouldn't change a thing. You are right about the "Hot Lady" part though. OH YEAH.....you're right about that. Ahh.........

• Options
    ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

The bank I use has plenty of circulated dollar rolls - a mixture of Presidential, NA, and Susan B. If they want the dollar coins to be used, get rid of the paper dollar.

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

• Options
    mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭

It seems as if my local bank of 50 years no longer has any rolls of dollar coins any more. I would get a couple rolls every two weeks to spend around town. I go in there now and they might have a few loose coins. I have complained about it to the manager of the bank but he doesn't seem to care. I have tried other banks but no one has any coins. The only way to get them to circulate is to stop making dollar bills.

• Options

Hydrant: I have to find out where you live. Not just for the train station coins, but for the pretty bank manager!!! ;-) Failing that, I'll have to find out where ADG's bank with plenty of mixed rolls is............ ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file