Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Somewhat of a big milestone for me -- My 1869 Registry Set

mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 22, 2017 4:17PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Well, to most that know me know that I've been building an 1869 set of everything, but the start of it was an 1869 Mint Set w/Gold. I've also whined that I'd never be able to displace Mr. Eliasberg as #1 All-time finest.

This is my latest acquisition that just got graded. Bought as NGC MS65 OGH, now PCGS MS64. Pop 2, 3 finer. This has been the coin I've been chasing as an upgrade to my set for a long time. I had completely forgotten about Registry points, but after I plugged in this coin I noticed something -- I just took over the #1 All Time Finest spot, something I thought would never be done. I also added a new 1869 $20, but I haven't imaged it yet.

Net-net, thought I'd share this with you ... this seated quarter is a TOUGH coin to find in this grade, one I never thought I'd own, and passing Mr. Eliasberg with this coin was somewhat symbolic.

Comments

• Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 22, 2017 4:42PM

That's a mint state coin? At first glance I thought proof because of the cameo effect.

Amazing coin!

Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gorgeous! Congrats on the Newp.

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super nice seated quarter. Congrats on taking over the top spot, a grand accomplishment.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am impressed to the max
    Outstanding Mint Set!

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    AblinkyAblinky Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

Congrats, your set is well matched and a job well done.

Andrew Blinkiewicz-Heritage

• Options
    coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful quarter! Congrats on an amazing set.

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome! Did you try for a cross at grade first or did you accept a lower grade right away?

• Options

@Wabbit2313 said:
    Awesome! Did you try for a cross at grade first or did you accept a lower grade right away?

I just did Min 64...trying to minimize my grading fees of resubmitting 2x only to get an MS64 grade (this coin has to be sent express as it's too expensive for regular service). Removing the typical "ownership adds a point bias," I grade this coin like a 64.3 - 64.6 depending on the lighting ;)

It has some chatter on Miss Lib, and since she is the proper focal point of the coin in my mind it gets a ding on the grading spectrum. Remove some of that chatter and this is 65+ candidate in my mind.

I have seen a PCGS MS66 CAC example, and while it's beautiful in many ways, it too is also not without it's own grade-limiting attributers. The 1869 Philly 25C is just a super super tough coin that should really be graded in context of the available census, but unfortunately it doesn't work like that.

Thank you all for your recognition and support...this is like the trophy coin of the set, one I worked the hardest to find (even harder than the 1869 P $5, for which I paid top dollar and then like 5 came out of the woodwork in 12 months and now readily available).

• Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

The pcgs price guide value of $6500 seems low to me

• Options
    DDRDDR Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice. Why did you pick the year 1869?

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

All nice coins but I really like the $3 gold as I have been looking for one of those,,,,,

GrandAm :)
  • Options

@GRANDAM said:
    All nice coins but I really like the $3 gold as I have been looking for one of those,,,,,

That is a nice coin, it came out of OGH NGC AU58 plastic, and it's super PL with frosty devices. It crossed to PC55 (I didn't crack it, just sent it in for a cross), and then I sent it to JA and it got a green CAC. It's a pretty coin in hand, I wish I could have done a better job imaging it...but thank you for noticing it, it's a tough coin to find.

@DDR it is a 100 year birth set, which I decided to do in mint state (I was 50/50 on doing proof, but the gold coins would have bankrupted me).

• Options
    aclocoacloco Posts: 952 ✭✭✭

WOW! Thank you for sharing this superb specimen and CONGRATULATIONS!!

Successful BST transactions with: jp84, WaterSport, Stupid, tychojoe, Swampboy, dragon, Jkramer, savoyspecial, ajaan, tyedye, ProofCollection, Broadstruck x2, TwinTurbo, lordmarcovan, devious, bumanchu, AUandAG, Collectorcoins (2x), staircoins, messydesk, illini420, nolawyer (10x & counting), peaceman, bruggs, agentjim007, ElmerFusterpuck, WinLoseWin, RR, WaterSports, KeyLargRareCoins, LindeDad, Flatwoods, cucamongacoin, grote15, UtahCoin, NewParadigm, smokincoin, sawyerjosh x3
  • Options
    BloodManBloodMan Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulation on your 1869 set! Looking forward to the images of the new double eagle.

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on the NEWP. That quarter looks awesome. I've always liked this set and have enjoyed watching you build it.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's great MB, big congrats

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

impressive, congrats on the #1 spot.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mercurydimeguy.... Congratulations ... on a great coin and achieving the Number One set.... Well done. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭✭✭

1869-P is a really tough business trike Seated quarter. It has an original mintage of 16,000 pieces, and the infrequent availability of surviving specimens seems to confirm that very few were made. Thanks for sharing this beautiful piece!

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful quarter!

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dramatic coin. B) To those who know, both services have had problems with misattributing 1867-1869 25c's. What's amusing is that all the proofs of these dates are so well made that a truly poorly-made one still should not be mistaken for a production strike.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2017 11:16AM

@ColonelJessup LOL. Your point is a valid one ... but this specific coin is MS no question. In a weird way I've studied these pieces and can probably speak to the 1869-P quarter conundrum as well as anyone. But in a black/white context only God and the person who minted any specific 1869-P quarter knows whether it's MSor PR ;)

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very impressive set. Congrats on your upgrades.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

Big congrats on completing your set with a great coin. Quite an honorable achievement.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭

Great Coin.
    Sincerely glad you made it to the top!

• Options
    MercuryMercury Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭✭

Wonderful coin and incredible set. Congratulations on this milestone. How long have you been working on this set?

Collecting Peace Dollars and Modern Crap.
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats to you :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

Big congrats MB!

Passing Eliasberg for an early MINT set is a huge achievement. His coins sold raw and proofs are given credit as MS. Battling assumed and estimated grades is tough.

I am working on a gem 1866 Philly mint set. Your quarter is no doubt ms.

Great job!

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seriously...what A Beautiful Set! I just enjoyed your coins for a good while...every one of them! Congrats and maybe time to send them all back to Phil for TrueView and Pedigree ;)

...and it feels cool to see a CU forum member above Eliasberg in a registry set! To be honest I clicked the link to your set before reading your OP so I was Stoked/Shocked to see Eliasberg @ #2! Congrats again man!

• Options
    CyndieChildressCyndieChildress Posts: 429 ✭✭✭

Awesomeness. !.!

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm super happy for you. Well done indeed!

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW.

YOU BEAT LOUIS ELIASBERG!

Take a bow. What a set!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

A great accomplishment- especially in light of the fact that Eliasberg surely had the more common proofs in many cases

• Options
    tdiaz1979tdiaz1979 Posts: 75 ✭✭✭

Thank you for sharing your milestone with us! Maybe someday I will pass on a nice collection of coins to my grandson.

• Options
    panexpoguypanexpoguy Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a great looking coin. Congrats on the set!

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

wow...a great add to your set. amazing condition.

• Options
    Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats! Great looking coin!

• Options
    DancingFireDancingFire Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

A big congrats!

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats!!! :+1::+1::+1::+1:

That is a major accomplishment and you should be proud.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    BloodManBloodMan Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mercurydimeguy,
    I like your 1869 $20. It has a great original look without any significant distractions. I think the Philly 1869 double eagle is a scare sleeper date that is still reasonably priced. Congratulations!

@mercurydimeguy said:

Here are the images of the 1869 $20 PC55 CAC...

• Options
    edited June 30, 2017 9:04AM

Sent to CAC. Fast turnaround!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file