Home U.S. Coin Forum

What do I want in a Pine Tree Shilling?

topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 22, 2017 3:45PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I ....think... I want the LARGE planchet.
I...know.... I want PCGS

Any input appreciated. :)

What do I want in a Pine Tree Shilling?

Sign in to vote!
This is a private poll: no-one will see what you voted for.

Comments

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only YOU can determine the answer to that question :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Me personally at this juncture in time............I want a large :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Definitely PCGS and for me CAC.....JMHO :smile:

• AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭

They are two separate types, so ideally both. The Large is more of a handmade coin, and the small made with more modern (for 1652) methods, so depending on if you want a semi unique handcrafted piece (large) or somewhat better made (small) take your pick.

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone got one for sale or have a line on one? B)

• mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well centered, complete legends and devices and, of course, no major problems. Large or small or even better, both. If you're like me, one was not enough! Nor is one denomination!

Well, I had 2 "wants."

One, a California territorial gold (not fractional) and the Pine Tree.
    Found a CA piece but still looking for the colonial.

I'll see where it takes me when I get both. :)

• MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

In coins, like most things in life, bigger is better.

Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.

Anyone have a Pine Tree COASTER? :p

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

You should have at least 3
    a pine tree, oak tree, and willow tree
    also a shilling, 6 pence and 3 pence

• jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

CRO usually has some nice ones...

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

So the brand of the plastic is more important than the quality of the coin?

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

@MrEureka said:
    So the brand of the plastic is more important than the quality of the coin?

Getting that way fast!

A recent coin's excellence made an NGC holder acceptable, but that's unusual.
    I am not buying coins in their holders unless they are spectacular.

I expect this to accelerate.

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

the more the better

Frank

BHNC #203

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really, any Pine Tree Shilling will do to start.... ;) I can work on upgrading after that... Cheers, RickO

• mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davewesen said:

Don't forget an Oak Tree 2 pence! (for the complete denomination set)

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 23, 2017 6:28AM

Here are a couple of samples.

Here is a large planchet Pine Tree Shilling. This variety is a Noe 1, which is "the poster child" for the coin. The design was well executed, and it is often found well centered with all of the legends complete. This one is a PCGS EF-45. The upside is that it is fairly attractive. The downside is the the color has been "helped," but it was what I could afford at the time. Prices for the pieces that are not much better than this go up very quickly Given my luck with the major auctions (mostly bad) I'm happy with this.

These were struck on a rocker press which rolled over the planchet to strike the coin. As a result they are all bent to a degree. Given the fact that they are bent, needless to say these coins did not wear evenly in circulation. It leaves you with a situation where the nices are EF or better, and the not so nice ones have incomplete details. In other words, I'm not sure if there is an "evenly worn" example in VF or lower.

Here is a small planchet Pine Tree Shilling. This one is graded VF-35. These coins were struck on a screw press and they wear more evenly because they were not bent when they were made. They are more common, and they came at the end of the Massachusetts silver coinage. They are not quite as exciting as the large planchet pieces, but you can get a nicer coin for the money preservation wise. I have owned this one since the early 1980s. This is a Noe 16, which probably the most common Pine Tree Shilling. It come well made for the type.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

I have a British Commonwealth Cromwell 1856 shilling. At this point of my collecting, this might be the closest I come to a Massachusetts minted coin. This time period of English history made it possible to mint coins in the colonies because there was a restriction of minting coins with the King's (Queen's) image outside of England. Where Cromwell was not either, this gave us an excuse to augment the limited coins in circulation in Massachusetts. I'm drooling over some of the coins in this thread.

Paul
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Large planchet. Well centered. Original surfaces. PCGS and CAC.

Why large planchet? Because without having ever seen one in hand, I had no idea how large they were. Note that is a barber _half _dollar, not a quarter:

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame

Weiss sucks!

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davewesen said:

A Willow Tree? Did you have a very rich uncle that just passed on? You forgot the NE coinage. That also requires a healthy bank balance.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's quite a coin to have no doubt!

• coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 23, 2017 9:36AM

@topstuf said:
    Anyone got one for sale or have a line on one? B)

John Agre of CRO is your go to guy for Pine Trees. And you won't get a sappy sales pitch.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:
    Weiss sucks!

ditto

Frank

BHNC #203

• goldengolden Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

All collectors need one.

Here's a small :smile:

After careful consideration of what I have, I must go with the Large myself. :smile:

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah how my wee money loving heart desireth such a finery for my numismatic accumulation. But alas, college for the nippers takes precedence thus. :'(

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21

@1630Boston said:
    After careful consideration of what I have, I must go with the Large myself. :smile:

Prithee, canst thee make change for a pistareen?

Welllllllllll well well well....

Not ONE vote for the ....small... planchet?

@topstuf
    I think you should get the small, while I search for the large :smile:

• BIGAL2749BIGAL2749 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭

After taking a 4-5 year hiatus from coins I attended the Boston 2010 ANA show looking for a Pine Tree.
    Saw a few that I was considering but ran across an Oak Tree with great luster in AU 58 that ended up coming home with me.
    Since then I've gotten a small planchet but I'd like to add the large planchet to complete a set of three.
    Grade is not that important and would like any nice looking VF and up. Hell, a "nice" looking VG would work.

Uh-oh... the itch is waning.

I just ordered a bust quarter. I fear my resolve fading fast.

I just KNEW that if I got the California territorial before the PTS in my bucket list that things could change.

Owoooooo!!!!! :|

• CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭✭

The 'non-grade' attributes will matter more than the numerical grade for these - ideally you'd find one with the following:

Original color.
    No edge splits.
    Good centering.
    A nice even strike.
    A complete tree.
    A bold date.
    Full legends.
    No damage.

And while that is the ideal, the reality is that compromises often need to be made (at all grades), and you are unlikely to find an almost perfect one. If you do, it will sell for a significant premium.

You'll also find that some die varieties are generally regarded as more aesthetic and desirable than others, and routinely sell for me.

I could go on for several pages here, but that's the abridged version.

@CoinRaritiesOnline
    Just curious, have you ever seen a 'holed' Pine Tree coin ? :smile:

• CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:
    @CoinRaritiesOnline
    Just curious, have you ever seen a 'holed' Pine Tree coin ? :smile:

Many. And I've seen many others that used to be holed but aren't anymore.

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

You definitely need a copy of The Hardy Boys "The Secret of the Old Mill" to accompany your Pine Tree Shilling.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file