Home U.S. Coin Forum

1913 V Nickel on eBay.......only $800

Funny, I thought there were only 5 known:
ebay.com/itm/1913-v-nickel-/132226846553?hash=item1ec9558f59:g:uysAAOSw1BlZQU0-&rmvSB=true

I love his description, "this coin right here is a 1913 V nickel I keep it in Good care I just got it out my safe deposit box hope you enjoy!

Comments

• DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reported.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Boy, that's a lot cheaper than the last one I bought. Besides it's only 2.67 for shipping !!
    How can you resist ?

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

At least we know that it does not have an altered date since the whole darn thing is bogus.

The photo emphasizes the date and not much else. Using a line from one of John Wayne’s detective movies, “It’s too d-----d convenient.”

One thing that this piece and the real thing share in common. They were both produced under nefarious circumstances.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still there with one bid....seller has no history....
    Wow... could be the find of a lifetime... :D;) Cheers, RickO

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting images. Thanks, but I already have that hole filled in my 7070 of replicas.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...

The fact that this thing is up for auction makes me wonder. Why don't these guys post this stuff up as a "buy it now?" They could get a quick hit before anyone spots it and complete the transaction. Why make it an auction which takes days to complete?

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

What if it turned out to be real!!

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 20, 2017 7:08AM

Who here is bidding? Already a bid.
    There is NO way that is the "unreported" six nickel. Even I would NOT suggest sending it into
    PCGS! Most definitely it will come back as either a counterfeit or an altered date (whole coin looks fake though).
    Please: HEED my advice! Don't get scammed into purchasing that nickel in the hopes of a killer flip/score.
    I think the unreported 1928 Peace is also a counterfeit fake.

• LRCTomLRCTom Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

It's the very scarce "Blob Star" variety...

LRC Numismatics eBay listings:
    http://stores.ebay.com/lrcnumismatics

• djmdjm Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ArizonaRareCoins said:
    Funny, I thought there were only 5 known:
    I love his description, "this coin right here is a 1913 V nickel I keep it in Good care I just got it out my safe deposit box hope you enjoy!

The heirs of the man that made the original coins could have had more made.

• ArizonaRareCoinsArizonaRareCoins Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭

Listing has been removed by eBay.......I hope the high bidder wont be too disappointed.

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Darn it.

I was gonna bid.

:D

Frank

BHNC #203

• cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 20, 2017 10:31AM

I remember seeing '6 known' in an old album I had. Maybe this was #6! ;)

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ArizonaRareCoins said:
    Listing has been removed by eBay.......I hope the high bidder wont be too disappointed.

i think theyll get over it somehow.

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a clown, seriously!

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am glad to see it was finally removed..... and the bidder, if legit, did not get scammed. Cheers, RickO

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did an appraisal for the ATF a few years ago for a federal case against some thugs. In the collection was one of those items. One of the agents , after I'd finished photographing the coins asked me if I didn't overlook a million dollar coin. I laughed and suddenly found myself under his suspicious glare.

Boy, did I have some explaining to do.

• kruegerkrueger Posts: 835 ✭✭✭
    edited June 25, 2017 4:44PM

At the ANA show in Los Angeles in 2009 there was A guy and his girlfriend walking around showing off his 1913 liberty Nickel he had wrapped in soft paper. I held it and louped it, and it was a pretty nice quality copy, one that you would love to put in the plugged 1913 hole in your Whitman album, but no doubt a Chinese copy. I am sure there are more where that one came from. He did not want to sell it.

Krueger

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    Did an appraisal for the ATF a few years ago for a federal case against some thugs. In the collection was one of those items. One of the agents , after I'd finished photographing the coins asked me if I didn't overlook a million dollar coin. I laughed and suddenly found myself under his suspicious glare.

Boy, did I have some explaining to do.

None of the Feds seem to have a sense of humor, do they?

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Aw, too bad. There went a discovery coin.

Wonder how long before this "sixth known" piece hits the market again.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file