Home U.S. Coin Forum

My first coin purchase in over 25 years. Updated with a new purchase. (7-15-2017)

divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 15, 2017 11:31AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hi All,

My name is Donato DiVecchia. I've been collecting Nolan Ryan cards for almost 25 years, PSA graded for the last 10. Some of you may know me from the PSA card side, as I have a Nolan Ryan Master set that I am currently working on that is currently 3rd on the PSA Registry. I collected coins for about 5 or 6 years in the late 1980's to the early 1990's. I was introduced to PCGS graded coins when they were in their infancy. I never lost interest in coins, but life sort of got in the way. I recently decided it was time to start coin collecting again and try to focus my collection on picking up a few key coins from each denomination. I decided to start things out with a bang, so here is my first pickup from just a few hours ago at a local coin show.

Let me know what you guys think, but please be gentle on a newbie when it comes to coin collecting.

Thanks for looking,

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)

Comments

• GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it ! Collecting key dates a great way to go Welcome aboard !

• Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool. What is the grade? Also, will we see you sooner than 25 years from now? :)

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gazes, thanks for the welcome!

Wabbit2313, it is an MS64RB. I hope to stay with it this time.

Donato

Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

• CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭✭

Great way to start. Nice high grade in the "right" plastic. What's next,3 legged buffalo,16-D dime,16 Quarter etc?... :)

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bang is right - nice coin, and welcome back!

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
    edited June 18, 2017 11:46AM

@Coinlearner said:
    Great way to start. Nice high grade in the "right" plastic. What's next,3 legged buffalo,16-D dime,16 Quarter etc?... :)

Thanks.
    The general idea is a couple of more pennies, like the 1943 steel cent, a 1955 double die, then the Buffalo on the mound (type 1) I believe and the 3 legged and maybe one other. For the dimes, I don't know about the 16-D as it will be out of my price range for something nice. That is the general idea though all the way to the dollar. 20th century coins first, then I may try working my way back to the earlier coins.

Donato

• SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have yet to get one of those, and I have always loved them. Congrats!

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2017 4:06PM

I didn't know that was considered a key date. Nice problem free coin.
    MS 63/64.............Didn't see the S.:(

• ExcaliberExcaliber Posts: 98 ✭✭✭

Nice coin. I have been away from coin collecting for about 10 years and just got back in last year November. I seem to be staying with mostly PCGS or NGC coins this time around.

• kazkaz Posts: 9,141 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the US coins forum! Looks like you're off to a nice re-start.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a way to pick it back up! Gorgeous cent.............here the envy?

lol

bob:)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,899 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2017 1:35PM

It looks like an nice 1909-S-VDB which is definitely better than mine which is an NGC EF-40. It looks like a nice "R&B MS something" but I won't venture to put a number on it.

I was wondering how someone could avoid the "collectors adiction" for so many years until I read that you were collecting Nolen Ryan baseball cards.

I was "on the wagon" for about eight months while I was going to graduate school for an MBA. I let my my subscription to the Gray Sheet lapse and didn't buy anything because money was so tight. I took 21 to 23 credits a semester to get through as fast as possible. This was 1979/1980 when colleges charged a flat fee if your took 15 credit hours or more. I kept adding courses every day until I got up to 20 + hours. The "college police" called me in to say you can't do that, until I expained that I was well into the courses expected to get all A's.

I was right except for one course in which the professor divided the class into two segments. All the guys and gals on one side got A's; all the guys and gals on the other side got B's. I was on the wrong side of the room. That guy ranks one of the top worst and laziest teachers I had through college and high school. The next semester I took 20+ credits again and there was no problem.

The MBA was well worth it. It give me the opportunity to have the most interesting and rewarding job I ever had in the corporate sector, and it helped get to where I am financially today.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

A good way to get back into collecting! Congrats.

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome!
    Are you the one who got the 1992 US Mint Baseball Silver Dollars (the ones that feature the Nolan Ryan design) graded by PSA? If so, what was that process like?

• bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2017 4:31PM

Beautiful ms64rb example of the svdb! You have a great eye.

• dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that's wonderful! I think I went to a coin shop and bought a 1909-S vdb as well, as my first leap back into the hobby after a long hiatus. It was a VF-20, and pretty!

Nolan Ryan! The Speedball King! Loved him as a Texan down here. He had a son who pitched for UT and TCU for awhile, later came to operate the local minor league team in Austin.

Nolan's a class act. Great collection!

• JazzmanJABJazzmanJAB Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2017 2:51PM

Welcome to the US Coin Forum.

@U1chicago said:

Welcome!
    Are you the one who got the 1992 US Mint Baseball Silver Dollars (the ones that feature the Nolan Ryan design) graded by PSA? If so, what was that process like?

Hi, I was not the one that got the 1992 US Mint Baseball Silver Dollars graded, someone else did. By the time I tried to get PSA to grade them for my Ryan Master set they no longer graded them. I was told since it was an actual US currency PSA would no longer grade them.

Thanks for all the nice comments and the warm welcomes.

Donato

• Very nice coin!

• U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice to know. Maybe these PSA graded coins will have a collecting base among sample/holder collectors since it seems no more will be graded in that manner.
    Thank you for the reply @divecchia

• DCWDCW Posts: 7,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back to the hobby! And way to go, buying a nice classic cent as your first purchase.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin

• thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum. '09-S VDB is a fantastic re-entrance to the hobby. A classic key date Lincoln!

I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
    edited June 24, 2017 9:03PM

Thanks again for all the warm welcomes and compliments on the Lincoln. A few people have asked about the grade so here is a scan of it in the holder.

Donato

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,172 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a purchase! Well done!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • skier07skier07 Posts: 3,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

You still do have good taste after 25 years.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful key coin of a very popular series. Welcome back to coins!

Thanks again for all the warm welcomes and nice comments on my coin.

Donato

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@divecchia....Welcome aboard and welcome back Donato.... Very nice cent and an admirable plan for moving forward....Keep us posted on your acquisitions.... Cheers, RickO

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

congrats on the new purchase :)

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's one for the series. Only a few more to go. Great choice, in my opinion.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent coin!

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back to coins :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 19, 2017 3:34PM

I may be going out on a limb but it appears you are targeting coins you desired from an earlier period of your life. Trends and tastes change and common 20th cen "key dates" are not what they once were market wise.

If you are reentering the hobby may I suggest going around and reacclimating to the lay of the land and you might find that your tastes have changed too. You may find you still want the same coins but you'll quickly find out nuances of how the TPGs impact liquidity, value, availability, resale and different retail outlets. Similar to PSA with cards but different specifics to this hobby. This could prevent you from buying stuff and reselling later.

Also consider a few books on a focus, much like how you speclized on NR cards to have a direction for your collection. The same applies to coins and people who buy what ever catches their fancy without a theme, often chase the buying cycle more than the actual material. Those are the ones who end up with random stuff that they pay for on the buy side and the sell side while always chasing the rush of the next "new" and end up with a bunch of stuff but not a collection.

Like in coins you get what you pay for so take that into consideration with my free unsolicited advice. Welcome back to the hobby of kings.

• SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a wonderful coin in about the best grade before it starts getting expensive, nice job!

• ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

Welcome back to the hobby. I think everyone takes their breaks from time to time, but you will always get back into it.

edited June 19, 2017 10:05PM

To All,

Thanks for the warm welcomes and compliments on my coin.

Crypto,

Thanks for the welcome and I will always appreciate advice, especially when it is free.

For me this is first and foremost a HOBBY. HOBBY and INVESTMENT to me are different things and if one becomes the other, it's no longer what you intended it to be. I hope this statement makes sense. Maybe coin collectors are different than card collectors and they treat coin collecting as an investment, but that will NEVER be the case for me. This will ALWAYS be a hobby for me. If tomorrow (PSA and PCGS) go under and all my cards and my one coin become worthless, the enjoyment I got for the last 25 years of collecting would be priceless. The day these 2 hobbies become an investment and I start thinking about liquidity I will give them up.

Thanks for reading.
    Donato

Edited to add:

Crypto, I took a look at your collection of Trade $'s and it looks like you put a lot of work into it. I love the colors on the 1876 MS61, she's a beauty. :+1::+1::+1::+1:

• hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you made a great decision on your first coin back. Well done.

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice looking coin, iconic, short money. Can't go wrong with that second purchase!

• ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking coin!

• goldengolden Posts: 9,506 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice looking coin.

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats @divecchia
    Welcome back :smile:
    Very very nice coins in my humble opinion :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

You did well. Very clean example. What are your plans for your third purchase?

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • gonzergonzer Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like riding a bike, eh Donato? You've got a keen eye either way, coins or Nolan.

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

Booming luster on the steel cent. Very nice!

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

Thanks for all the kind words of encouragement guys, I appreciate it.

Donato

• GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 18, 2019 4:32AM

@GotTheBug said:
    Well said! I agree with you. In the "Debbie Downer" environment that pervades these boards nowadays it is refreshing to welcome a true hobbyist back to the active roster.

Thanks very much for your kind words.

Donato

• jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love that steel cent!!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file