Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Possible 1943 copper penny

Hey all I'm new to coins but to make a long story short I purchased 15 rolls of wheat pennies at a flea market last weekend in search of the impossible 1943 copper penny...low and behold I think I found one.. not in very good shape but any help or info would be great!

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭✭✭

next thing to do is the magnet test,

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options

It does not stick to a magnet..fyi

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would compare the coin to a steel 1943-S Lincoln, paying particular attention to the number 3 in the date. I would guess you will find it doesn't come close, which would mean it is an altered 194x coin. If you are still convinced it is genuine, send it to one of the grading services for authentication.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coronacrew23Wow... that is terribly damaged... looks as if it has spent a while in a parking lot.... You will have to send it for authentication if you really want to know.... best of luck and welcome aboard. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's not one of 'em.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,844 ✭✭✭✭✭

its to bad thats all beat up. i hope it works out for you

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

If Fred says its not its not!

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

It could very well be a 1945 or a 1947 as there is this great big hawking skid mark right through the last digit of the date.

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭✭

I believe that is not authentic.

CCAC Representative of the General Public
    Columnist for The Numismatist
    2021 Young Numismatist of the Year

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome, great fun to search rolls, keep on searching!!

bob:)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too bad if it was. Looks like parking lot tire damage.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭✭✭

With that amount of damage, no reputable grading service will certify and guarantee (with their money behind it) that is an authentic 1943 bronze cent.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you still think that's a 3? I'd guess 5, maybe.
    Lance.

• Options
    kevinjkevinj Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

Nice blow up, looks like they abraded down the fourth digit and the top part of the 4, then tried to build some part of the
    4th digit back up. Not even close

Kevin J Flynn
  • Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 15, 2017 12:07PM

Congratulations first and formost. Now, does it have a wheatear back or is it the memorial building? If it is the building you possibly have a fake. if it is the wheatback ears you are in for a treat.
    Send to PCGS (packaged securely and with plenty of good ol' fashion insurance. Or walk it in. Either way it takes years of experience and expertise to determine if these are real (or stick to a magentic source of some type).

Don't let the lawn jockys tell you otherwise! Can't grade from a close-up picture.

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,084 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would like to see a Lincoln cent memorial reverse with a date altered to 1943.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    kevinjkevinj Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

@abcde12345 said:
    Congratulations first and formost. Now, does it have a wheatear back or is it the memorial building? If it is the building you possibly have a fake. if it is the wheatback ears you are in for a treat.
    Send to PCGS (packaged securely and with plenty of good ol' fashion insurance. Or walk it in. Either way it takes years of experience and expertise to determine if these are real (or stick to a magentic source of some type).

Don't let the lawn jockys tell you otherwise! Can't grade from a close-up picture.

lawn jockys? Really?
    Has nothing to do with grading
    The close up photo shows the diagnostics that absolutely show it cannot be a 43 bronze cent
    The number 1 way counterfeiters used for the 1943 Bronze cents is through altering the final digit (usually an 8
    on an 1948 cent). Another method was to add a plated layer to a 1943 steel cent, which can be detected with a magnet.
    How do I know, I have researched this subject starting in 1994, and have written books on this series which included
    a detailed study on this subject, and also have seen counterfeit 1943 cents
    I know Fred has probably seen more 43 counterfeits than everyone else on this forum combined, this is why just
    looking at the photo he knew it was not.

Kevin J Flynn
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kevinj said:

@abcde12345 said:

lawn jockys? Really?
    The close up photo shows the diagnostics that absolutely show it cannot be a 43 bronze cent
    The number 1 way counterfeiters used for the 1943 Bronze cents is through altering the final digit (usually an 8
    on an 1948 cent). Another method was to add a plated layer to a 1943 steel cent, which can be detected with a magnet.
    How do I know, I have researched this subject starting in 1994, and have written books on this series which included
    I know Fred has probably seen more 43 counterfeits than everyone else on this forum combined, this is why just

@kevinj said:

@abcde12345 said:

lawn jockys? Really?

Agreed. It is not a 1943.
    If the experts say it's not it's not.
    It would be a complete waste of money to submit this.

• Options

If it is not: $35. spent.
    If it IS: profit in the tens of thousands. Why not take a gamble? It might come back with a problem grade but these are scarce and worth it.

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Again, It's not what you think it is,
    and it is a complete and total waste
    of your money to send it to ANY
    genuine Grading/Authentication Service.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep looking

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options

@dbldie55 said:
    I would sell it to abcde12345 for the $35 he is offering.

Pay for the grading/shipping and you've got a deal!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file