Home Precious Metals

Easily the rarest piece of fractional bullion I've ever seen!

As some of you may remember, I had a massive collection of fractional silver bullion several years ago. I even had 100 of the Johnson Matthey 1 gram bars sealed to give you an idea of just how extensive the collection was. Although I no longer collect them, I still track their values from time to time. Until about 10 minutes ago, I never even knew these existed! I don't yet have an opinion on the asking price, but im fairly sure that if someone decides to make a JM site similar to AE, this price may be a bargain.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rarest-Ever-Johnson-Matthey-Tenth-of-an-ounce-lot-of-2-Silver-Bar-1-10-Hell-RARE-/322548211327?hash=item4b195f1e7f:g:wssAAOSwXYtYw0tW

Comments

• Geckster109Geckster109 Posts: 231 ✭✭✭

I'd love to hear from Carew on these bars.

• mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

I wonder how easy it would be for the chinese to fake these? I was on the allengelhard site and certain rare bars I used to have like homestake mining bars have already been faked. Wouldn't cost too much and for them the gain is massive.

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.

@mkman123 said:
    I wonder how easy it would be for the chinese to fake these? I was on the allengelhard site and certain rare bars I used to have like homestake mining bars have already been faked. Wouldn't cost too much and for them the gain is massive.

This is precisely why I got out of the hobby of collecting these! A few thousand bucks spent on a few very high end metal stamps, and I could probably start cranking out as many Engelhard 3,4,5, and 7 ounce bars as I wanted. And would there really be a way to tell seeing as how there is so much variety even within same weight bars?

• NVUNVU Posts: 284 ✭✭✭

I've seen this type before but never sealed though. It is indeed rare but not rarest fractional IMO.
    I would say the JM 3/4oz swish bar would be the rarest fractional.
    How about JM 25 grains bar, I only heard rumor but never seen one. Does anyone know?

Here are some pics of my former collection:

• rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

Nice stuff geck...
    Asking price doesn't make something rare...
    Only a description by Weiss does...

keceph `anah

JM Koalagram is one of the harder piece to come by and more than a dozen in that collection is quite a feat. Very cool stuff....

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow.... that price is - IMO - ridiculous... Of course, I am not a collector of this material. The prices on Beanie Babies was totally ludicrous, but people paid for them.... I recall there was even a kiosk in the Southcenter mall in Seattle.... Had one in their showcase for $6000... I laughed... The guy behind the counter gave me a bad look.
    :D Cheers, RickO

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've seen these 1/10s online, likely was that same seller's listing in the past. They do appear to be scarce.
    I like these fractional pieces. I've watched your Youtube videos showing them.

@NVU said:
    JM Koalagram is one of the harder piece to come by and more than a dozen in that collection is quite a feat. Very cool stuff....

When I was really into it back then, I was REALLY into it!!! In fact, if I was still collecting them, I almost certainly would have bought the pair of 1/10ths for $810 instantly! There is another AWESOME piece on ebay right now that I would have also snagged....an Engelhard 5 gram silver with serial 00009. That's about as cool as it gets!

And by the way....the JM 1/10ths are SO rare that the AE site doesn't even have them listed!

Yes, I would have bought the pair myself also but they have to be sealed though. It would be nice to pair it with the gold version side by side.

JM has a lot of different variety and some of them not even on AE site. Here is one in my collection, rare or not but I don't see this often.

@Geckster109 said:

@NVU said:

When I was really into it back then, I was REALLY into it!!! In fact, if I was still collecting them, I almost certainly would have bought the pair of 1/10ths for $810 instantly! There is another AWESOME piece on ebay right now that I would have also snagged....an Engelhard 5 gram silver with serial 00009. That's about as cool as it gets!

And by the way....the JM 1/10ths are SO rare that the AE site doesn't even have them listed!

There not listed, quite simply cause nobody cares ...

keceph `anah

@rawteam1 said:

Ebay completed listings on top tier brand fractionals strongly disagrees with you.

@Geckster109 said:

@rawteam1 said:

Ebay completed listings on top tier brand fractionals strongly disagrees with you.

So Do the Russians ...

keceph `anah