Home Precious Metals

First ebay head scratcher for me

JJMJJM Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 12, 2017 3:02PM in Precious Metals

So I send the buyer the coin in the first pic, and they request
A return because item is damaged, I request pics and they provide the 2nd picture
And state packaging was intact,it was wrapped in paper then in a bubble mailer
How is that type of damage possible?? Has anyone had this happen in transit?
I know it's a cheap widget, but I'm just perplexed
Edit to add that I have shipped over 2000 coins the same way???
I am gladly accepting the return

👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37

Comments

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,918 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like it was poorly packaged and the post office stepped on it or dropped something on it. You may get more speculation and guesses if you post this in the US Coin Forum.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,585 ✭✭✭✭✭

damaged in transit. Happens, but not often, with bubble mailers. If insured, file a claim.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• JJMJJM Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yea, at the end of the day it's no big deal, was just curious.....
    I guess when I get it back I'll just Crack it out and give it to a YN

👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37

sometimes a bubbler gets sent through the machine designed for letters.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

The second photo makes the coin look AU.

I would suggest that you just get it reholdered the next time you go to a coin show where NGC is set up.

"Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

@PerryHall said:
    I would suggest that you just get it reholdered the next time you go to a coin show where NGC is set up.

reholdering will most likely require you to submit it as is without removing it from the slab.

• JJMJJM Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

Yea, that might explain it!

edited June 12, 2017 4:34PM

double post
    double post

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

Happened before?

Yes. I believe one time a forumite had a mailing box run over and the slab cracked into 2 main pieces. Said forumite posted pics of the slab. Then I saw it at PCGS' table in Balt. As it was being subbed again. I think it was a 55 or 72 DDO.

it happens. And the buyer not pitching a fit is a bonus.

I still ship slabs in boxes - more room for bubble wrap.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

Agree, but only if it isn't thick enough. I believe the mailer needs to be at least 3/4" thick in order to avoid the envelope machines.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JJM said:

@derryb said:

Yea, that might explain it!

Maybe it had help from a hammer?

theknowitalltroll;

@OPA said:

@derryb said:

Agree, but only if it isn't thick enough. I believe the mailer needs to be at least 3/4" thick in order to avoid the envelope machines.

Best to wrap the slab in bubble wrap before going into the padded envelope. This gives you extra protection and ensures you meet the minimum thickness (to avoid the letter machine). I've actually had padded envelopes returned for not meeting min. thickness. For raw coins going into a padded envelope I always throw in a foam peanut or two to reach minimum thickness.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... that looks like (just looks like, not saying it was) an attempt to crack it out....that failed.... However, he would not be returning it if that was the case... Cheers, RickO

• dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭

I have had the same thing happen with PSA slabbed baseball cards. I certainly was surprised, but the combination of the rigidity of the slab and the flexibility of the bubble mailer meant that the slab absorbed all of the energy.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.

@ricko said:
    Wow... that looks like (just looks like, not saying it was) an attempt to crack it out....that failed.... However, he would not be returning it if that was the case... Cheers, RickO

Why not? He can claim it was damaged in transit!

theknowitalltroll;
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BAJJERFAN.... Why bother? Just continue with the crackout....Cheers, RickO

@ricko said:

I doubt he intended to crack it out. I think he just wanted/made a reason to return it.

theknowitalltroll;

@BAJJERFAN said:

@ricko said:

I doubt he intended to crack it out. I think he just wanted/made a reason to return it.

They way it was packaged I don't doubt that it was broken in transit. The post office is quite capable of destroying a poorly packaged slab.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Appropriately packaged for a coin of that value, but a crack like that is certainly not unreasonable during transit. At about $500 I switch from bubble mailers to boxes. May have to reconsider that.

@PerryHall said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@ricko said:

They way it was packaged I don't doubt that it was broken in transit. The post office is quite capable of destroying a poorly packaged slab.

Both intentional and unintentional damage is possible. No way to tell which one happened. As a seller, you'd have to give the buyer the benefit of the doubt.

theknowitalltroll;
  • Maybe your parcel was delivered in the following way?

or