Home U.S. Coin Forum

*This is likely the most expensive coin I've seen up for sale online*

This is a nice silver dollar from 1928, but $35 grand... really? I suppose a man can dream...!

1928 Silver Dollar US 1$

Comments

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

I seen a 1943 copper lincoln cent for a million bucks on ebay a couple of days ago.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 3, 2017 2:37PM

Coins have traded on-line for a great deal more than $35 grand. I'd be careful of that one. The surfaces look funny, and I have no idea who "Feduciary Grading and Atribution" is.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not even close!

• MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

:smiley: The surfaces of this coin looks like a 1928 Cast copy that I have in my counterfeit collection.

Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is April 12-13, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

The lizard skin variety, I see.

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 3, 2017 3:27PM

Very wishful thinking, ugly toning and the reverse is hideous, looks like a cleaned AU. Pointing at previous sales of high grade coins as if theirs is anywhere near the quality of them is insulting. Until this is in a pcgs holder it will not fetch even close to $1k(edit: in any online sale), much less $35k.

It's impossible for it to be VAM2 AND VAM3, those are different obverse dies. The photo of the vam3 die marker is pointing at a hit in the hair, the die marker is actually in the recessed area here: (I shrank the photo, may be hard to see.)

Collector, occasional seller

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cast !!! :s

Timbuk3
  • yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 3, 2017 4:32PM

As BillJones said, this is not even close to the most expensive coin sold online.
    As for current asking prices, here is a (genuine) 1795 $10 MS-65 ex-Eliasberg for $1.569m:
    ebay.com/itm/like/201867231260?vectorid=229466&lgeo=1&item=201867231260

• dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

I watched the sale of the '33 saint on Ebay. That was over 7 million.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • OwenSeymourOwenSeymour Posts: 365 ✭✭✭✭

Apparently this thread needs a sarcasm warning... lol

• UnclePennyBagsUnclePennyBags Posts: 327 ✭✭✭

@OwenSeymour said:
    Apparently this thread needs a sarcasm warning... lol

I was expecting something Fantabulous..... Wah Wah Wah

Successful trades.... MichaelDixon,

• Bob1951Bob1951 Posts: 268 ✭✭

Whatever all this trash talk means--I can't make heads or tails out of it.

"COINS by FIDUCIARY ATTRIBUTION
    COINS by FIDUCIARY ATTRIBUTION storefront
    4.5 out of 5 stars92% positive lifetime (26 total ratings)
    About the Seller: Coins by Fiduciary Grading & Attribution

Main Market: Collectible Coins and Currency

Fiduciary: What does this mean?

A fiduciary duty is the highest standard of care. A fiduciary is expected to be extremely loyal to the person they owe the duty (the "principal"): they must not put their personal interests before the duty, and must not profit from their position as a fiduciary, unless the principal consents. The fiduciary relationship is highlighted by good faith, loyalty and trust, and the word itself originally comes from the Latin fides, meaning faith, and fiducia.
    A fiduciary relationship encompasses the idea of faith and confidence and is generally established only when the confidence given by one person is actually accepted by the other person. Mere respect for another individual's judgment or general trust in his or her character. The duties of a fiduciary include loyalty and reasonable care of the assets within custody. All of the fiduciary's actions are performed for the advantage of the beneficiary.

Some Sellers & Grading companies really don't take the responsibility of being responsible for their actions, decisions, opinions, viewpoints, and handling of another's product. Maybe it is impossible to reach the GUY IN CHARGE (BOSS or OWNER). It might not be possible to get a refund on Grading or a purchase of a product. In my case in most situations it is impossible to talk to the ( GUY IN CHARGE) and get a refund of return product or a regrade of coins. It is usually a put off by an underling with no authority, and is doing what the Boss has told them. Personally I have had: Coins lost by sellers, coin grading companies, other auction house type sellers, and they act like " SO WHAT, NOT MY PROBLEM " and they do no followup.

We Believe in Communication on all levels:
    We Believe in delivering the best product ( appropriate grade & attribution & value).
    We stand by our product. If your not satisfied we give a 100% refund less shipping expense.
    We believe in the GUY in CHARGE being available.
    We believe in Timely communication.

Grading:
    We grade opinion on some of our listed products.
    We have many manuals, internet sources to compare to for a fair objective opinion.
    We might spend several hours, even days evaluating a coin. I once had a guy that used to work for one of the major coin grading companies tell me he used to grade 800 coins a day. Figure it out that is 36 seconds a coin based on a 8 hour day!
    We used naked eye, 10x loupe, high resolution camera with a macro lens ( and virtually might take 100's of picture of a coin), and a 200x microscope. to grade and attribute a coin.
    The hours might be about endless in evaluation and opinion / not 36 seconds.

Attribution:

We have several manuals, and internet resources for coin attribution.
    All coins are one of two things: A Perfect Coin (MS-70 or PR-70) or an error coin.
    Some errors are listed in Cherry Pickers (thus the FS number) or VamWorld (thus the Vam number). Many other books, manuals and internet resources are available to attribute for errors or variety.
    Some errors or varieties are noteworthy and significant, some are not. But who is to make that judgement call of what is significant or not? I have personally sent 1,000s of coins in for error or variety attribution, and whomever felt it not worth mentioning or putting on the label or report analysis. OR they didn't want to take the time for ME ( YOU} to do the proper research and documentation.
    I have personally purchased coins for a very minimal amount graded by other grading companies. After a through examination with all my resources determine that it is a significant variety variation worth virtually thousands of dollars more then what I originally paid for it.
    Where is the fiduciary responsibility to the person that originally sent the coin to that grading company?????????
    Send in your coin with pictures from your Cherry Pickers Guide Book, and 100's of your pictures of your coin and they just throw them away and don't even look at them.

WE attribute every coin and if noteworthy or not list it on the label and in the listing photos.

In Summary:

We do make mistakes.
    We are not perfect.
    We try to do our best.
    We take some of the best high quality & resolution photos on the internet and you make your own decision with confidence. Most of the time our photos draw out colors to the highest resolution, depth of field, and to show highlights and defects. Most of the time the most minute detail might be overlooked by anyone in any situation (naked eye or even a 10x ++ loupe). Chances are our photography will catch it. But of course we have to look well at the photo!!! Please review for reference SKU's : 60, 197, 415, 204. Of course after finding the attribute, feature or etc. we verify via naked eye and 7x loupe. Probably in most cases of defects (environmental damage, verdigris, minute bag marks, hairlines, cleaning scratches, chemical cleaning) we probably detriment a potential sale because our photography shows more then a average person will ever see!!! Proof or Proof like coins are the hardest to photo because of the reflectiveness of coin. Most fields of a Proof will show a dark blue or even in some cases a black. Absolute high quality photos of Proof examples are SKU 204 & 419. Some times some coins just are not photogenic (but they are what they are)!

What do you get?
    1) The coin of your choice, encapsulated in tamper proof lifetime holder. An objective opinion of the grade and attribution done as reference to all of above.
    2) A computer disk with our file pictures of the coin, with attribution closeups, which can be downloaded to your computer. These pictures can be used if in the future you decide to sell the coin. The disk has been scanned for virus.
    3) A right to return the coin within 7 days of receipt for a full refund less high shipping expense. Coins of extreme high value can be very expensive to ship.
    4) We have a Sincere ULTIMATE FIDUCIARY RESPONSIBILITY.

If you have any questions, comments, suggestions feel free to email, call, mail, us any time of day, 7 days a weeks, within the guidelines of Amazon.

thank you. "

https://www.amazon.com/sp?_encoding=UTF8&asin=&isAmazonFulfilled=&isCBA=&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&orderID=&seller=A1BEKY8I8CY6LP&tab=&vasStoreID=

• astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Grading:
    We grade opinion on some of our listed products.
    We have many manuals, internet sources to compare to for a fair objective opinion.
    We might spend several hours, even days evaluating a coin. I once had a guy that used to work for one of the major coin grading companies tell me he used to grade 800 coins a day. Figure it out that is 36 seconds a coin based on a 8 hour day!
    We used naked eye, 10x loupe, high resolution camera with a macro lens ( and virtually might take 100's of picture of a coin), and a 200x microscope. to grade and attribute a coin.
    The hours might be about endless in evaluation and opinion / not 36 seconds.

Attribution:

We have several manuals, and internet resources for coin attribution.
    All coins are one of two things: A Perfect Coin (MS-70 or PR-70) or an error coin.
    Some errors are listed in Cherry Pickers (thus the FS number) or VamWorld (thus the Vam number). Many other books, manuals and internet resources are available to attribute for errors or variety.
    Some errors or varieties are noteworthy and significant, some are not. But who is to make that judgement call of what is significant or not? I have personally sent 1,000s of coins in for error or variety attribution, and whomever felt it not worth mentioning or putting on the label or report analysis. OR they didn't want to take the time for ME ( YOU} to do the proper research and documentation.
    I have personally purchased coins for a very minimal amount graded by other grading companies. After a through examination with all my resources determine that it is a significant variety variation worth virtually thousands of dollars more then what I originally paid for it.
    Where is the fiduciary responsibility to the person that originally sent the coin to that grading company?????????
    Send in your coin with pictures from your Cherry Pickers Guide Book, and 100's of your pictures of your coin and they just throw them away and don't even look at them.

WE attribute every coin and if noteworthy or not list it on the label and in the listing photos.

Funny stuff ... 215 (of 788) coins listed are "discovery coins." I guess if you spend "endless hours" examining a coin many will look like a new discovery!

If you need to spend "endless hours" using a high-resolution camera, taking 100s of pictures of a coin, and viewing through a 200x microscope to grade and attribute a coin ... perhaps you need to recalibrate your approach or just maybe ... numismatics is not your calling.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, IMO, the coin is terrible, mis-attributed, over graded, and really an attempt at a con job. Not that anyone will purchase it at that ridiculous price...It looks as if it has been acid treated.... Cheers, RickO

• Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

That coin is hideous. Hopefully no one buys that at that price!

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you need to microscope to spot a variety, it's not really variety unless there some historical importance attached to it. My rule of thumb is if I can't see it with an ordinary magnifier, I won't pay a premium for it.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

Run Forrest! Run! :o

When I clicked on the link I spit coffee on my laptop from laughing so hard. :D

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 4, 2017 8:07AM

@Bob1951 said:

"COINS by FIDUCIARY ATTRIBUTION

4) We have a...... "Sincere ULTIMATE FIDUCIARY RESPONSIBILITY."

And the acronym for that is.........SUFR......... Which you just might.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 4, 2017 8:07AM

Attribution:

How did they arrive at such an absurd conclusion? What about all the coins that are not "perfect," or not errors? That would merely be 99% or greater of all coins in existence. Since their 1928 Peace Dollar is not an error coin, it therefore must be an MS70. Their "fiduciary" should have proof-read what they wrote a lot closer.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • UnclePennyBagsUnclePennyBags Posts: 327 ✭✭✭

@roadrunner said:

Attribution:

How did they arrive at such an absurd conclusion? What about all the coins that are not "perfect," or not errors? That would merely be 99% or greater of all coins in existence. Since their 1928 Peace Dollar is not an error coin, it therefore must be an MS70. Their "fiduciary" should have proof-read what they wrote a lot closer.

I got really lost trying to understand that myself.... I'm going to go with they are just clueless and assume most buyers are also

Successful trades.... MichaelDixon,

• WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do remember the "Fidelity Fiduciary Bank" but I didn't know they graded coins.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

:joy:@messydesk has to see this one

The more you VAM..
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kudos to the seller for managing to pack so much facepalm into one lot.

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fiduciary: What does this mean?

Apparently to this seller, it means bend over.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file