Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1969 S 1C possible Double Die?

I recently came across this 1969 S. Yes, you could chalk it up as a machine doubling. Two issues I have with that would be 1) when you overly the original 69 S double die, it's a match in both positioning and direction, and 2) under negative imaging, there exists two, if not three, high points in which the doubling elevates. Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome aboard.

Sorry to say, but all I see is machine doubling.

• Options

Glad to be here. Thx.

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

you might try to call it the Poor Man's doubled Die, since it ain't the ultra rare FS-101, where extremely strong doubling is evident on all obverse letters and numbers.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options

Yes..only the date is affected.

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's the very common, and sometimes confusing,
    69-S Mechanical/Ejection Doubling type.

Not the rare Doubled Die - sorry

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Strong considerations should be made that if your penny is truly legit and a verifiable double die it is then rated as scarce to rare (depending on the overall state of condition it is in) and should be awarded consideration for market grading by the experts here.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

Flat and shelf like.........no doubt machine doubling damage.

Good for you to pay attention to this date.....Keep searching..

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome @Arvin1977, do a search of DD VS MD, there was a very recent thread that had a great graphic on how to differentiate between the two.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭✭✭

Genuine 1969-S double die a very dramatic error.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the madness that is variety collecting.
    Keep looking........you'll never find one.... :(
    I shouldn't say that, even jokingly, but you won't.
    You will find other varieties if you are persistent about not only searching but also about educating yourself.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Arvin1977.... Welcome aboard.... the cent has machine doubling as stated above.... However, you are looking closely at your coins, so that is a plus. This is how people find good coins in circulation and even the occasional 'discovery' piece..... Best of luck... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BIGAL2749BIGAL2749 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭

That is a large spread for machine doubling and can see why one would give the coin a thorough exam.

BTW welcome to the forum and you'll learn and find a lot of information here but one does need to develop a thick skin at times.

• Options

Thx

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep looking........you'll never find one....
    I shouldn't say that, even jokingly, but you won't.

Probably won't. I believe a collector found one in circulation a few years ago,however.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

MD on this one also.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file