Home U.S. Coin Forum

Gold Quarter Eagle Question

erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

What would be a good "gold-buy" price on common date quarter eagles that are raw and gently circulated?

Comments

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭✭

"spot" would be my answer.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

You really won't be able to find them for close to melt in decent condition. I am finding plenty of nice raw for under $250.

• jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bill Jones' advice is spot on...

• renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

Look at the 5-year chart here on the Host's Price Guide and you'll see a huge downtrend especially in the lower MS grades. One would be down over 50% in some grades if the 'Indian' was bought in 2012. The same goes with later date Liberties. It's worth the research because the difference in 'gently circulated' and MS is very small.

I've been buying the $2 1/2, $5, and $10 this year and last. Similar charts on the latter two denominations as well. One has to ask, how many more years or months will the current trend continue?

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Although I like them, the small gold coins have not been an area I have collected - other than my pride and joy, a $5 Gold Indian. I do have a couple of tiny Mexican gold coins, picked up from a friend years ago... Mainly, I prefer the large gold coins... and like BillJones said, the small ones are widely counterfeited. Cheers, RickO

• REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you can afford to pay up, MS63 common date Liberties and Indians seem to be quite the bargain lately. In the $300s.

• GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with Bill's earlier comments. I love the liberty quarter eagle series. So many really rare dates with great stories and individual coins are still priced at obtainable levels

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Melt plus $5 my best offer.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said:
    Melt plus $5 my best offer.

You sound like a coin dealer. LOL. :D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file