Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Indian Head Cent GTG

Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sent this and a few cents in recently. Just got them back. Ill post TrueView and grade tomorrow.
Images in holder

Raw images.

Comments

• Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always dangerous to go first. But on my little phone screen i cant see any obvious flaws. At least 66+ ish from my view .

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

1st set of pics looks RB/BN, second set looks RD.....so I won't hazard a color designation, coin looks clean, except for spots on date and small area of planchet roughness between M and E in AMERICA.
    65+/66 from the images

• Options
    TheDukeKTheDukeK Posts: 359 ✭✭✭

64 with a possible 65 BN
    Back is nice but front I see something between M and E of America, and on the Date there's funniness. Plus the Cindy Crawford mole on the high cheek.
    It's nice on the back and I wish you luck.

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS66RD

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS66.... due to the two different sets of pictures, not sure of color.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

65 RB - and a somewhat better, under rated date in the series.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options

This didn't get much for responses. Most could tell the quality right off the bat. This was sent in raw to PCGS and came back MS66RD. The coin came from an old collection, old envelope it was stored in says purchased 4/02/1947 for $9. It was sold through Tatham Stamp and Coin Company.

Here is the TrueView image of the coin. I do think its just as nice as the 3 66+Reds graded. I prefer this piece however because of how even the colors are. I may send it in some time in the future if I ever feel like selling.

• Options
    AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭

Before I lookd at your answer I was thinking 6 or 7 RD, thinking the luster might not support a 7

• Options

Currently there are 16 in 66 and 3 in 66+. Tough issue, I do think these in gem are a tad under appreciated. From the same submission I had a MS66RD 1909 S VDB. Population 218 with 36 finer. This was a big surprise grade for me as I had graded it a 64RD. The real rarity is by far the Indian cent, the Lincoln has a the huge collectors base driving the price.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. I had guessed 65RD. Nice score, especially if you bought it raw for not too much.

For those who haven't looked, CoinFacts lists a price of $7,500 in 66 and $10,000 in 66+.

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a beautiful coin.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes it is quite attractive.

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was thinking somewhere in the 65/66 range and RB until I saw the second image, and then gave up on color designation. My feel was the reverse was a lock 66, and the obverse was borderline 65/66 given the black dots on the cheekbone.

In any case, certainly a tougher date, and quite a pretty coin.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way nice!

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

I grade them Super Dupper Purdy :):):)

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't check the pop reports before guessing 66+. There may be some truth to grading based off of scarcity and value. Imo, And looking at the 3 getting the plus grade, I agree, I like yours.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mighty nice looking IHC!

That S-VDB is no slouch either!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know what grade it is but I do know positively, that coin is exquisite! Beautiful coin dude. <3
    Is that the " Fancy 5"?

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing it kept that color stored in an envelope since 1947....I guess you know the color is quite stable! $9 was probably a strong price back then, so they knew they had a high quality coin.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file